1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Let the conquest begin!

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by PadawanNinja, Feb 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

PadawanNinja Active Member

They say a journey begins with a single step, it then follows that an army begins with a single unit.

Just got in my first rescue from eBay. Now the question becomes to re-prime or strip the paint and go. Curious to know what people here have found works best for them.

Attached Files:

Lizerd, Imrahil, Warden and 4 others like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

Lizerd, Warden and PadawanNinja like this.
  3. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

SuperClean is one that I was looking at. LA’s Totally Awesome is also supposed to be good. Dollar General has that for $3 a gallon, will have to see what SC goes for in bulk.

How long do you let it set?

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

No! don't clean it!

Look at the model, it has been primed, and then painted over with a light wash. Just take some grey paint, and thin it out with some water and paint over it again to re prime it.

Look how sharp the details are. Stripping is a last resort for when they are really gunked up. With stripping you get little flakes of paint still stuck in the model etc. Unless you spend two days cleaning one model.

Try to at least re prime with the normal non primer grey paint first, then if that really doesn't work, strip.

The paint on it, is so thin you can still see the white primer underneath.

5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

about 4-6 hours

Dr.Doom and Lizerd like this.
  6. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

An interesting video, thanks. All good points I hadn’t considered.

Lizerd likes this.
  7. Shocksem
    Saurus

Shocksem Active Member

He looks fine to just rebase coat, I wouldn't strip it as trying to brush the remaining paint off will be a huge pain on a FineCast model like him.

Dr.Doom, Lizerd and Warden like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Finecast can be a pain.

Looking forward to what you do with him!

Lizerd likes this.
  9. inakue
    Saurus

inakue Well-Known Member

I would re-prime and go for it!!

Dr.Doom, Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  10. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

Well, it definitely seems like re-priming is becoming the consensus. At least in this specific case. Thanks for the tip!

Dr.Doom, samheim and Lizerd like this.
  11. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

20200211_151814.jpg 20200211_151814.jpg 20200212_164741.jpg
    Well, my nascent army has expanded! Now I have another decision, and I'd like some input from the peanut gallery.

Rebasing. Do i cut away everything down to the feet? Do I remove the little bits at the bottom and glue that to a round? Try to dissolve the glue? What's the consensus?

Killer Angel, Dr.Doom and Lizerd like this.
  12. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

Cut them off at the feet. Buy all the basing materials off ebay and start again when you put them on round bases.

The best way is to prime and paint all your models while the are on their square bases. Then with your round bases. Paint PVA glue on the top, dip them in sand. When that's dry, prime them and then paint them. I do mine with airbrush. Its very quick. Then cut your painted models from the square bases and glue them on to the finished round bases. Then you can add in the grass and stuff.

This makes it much faster, as otherwise you have to paint the base with the painted model on top of it or vice versa, and you will get paint on the other thing, unless you spend ages being careful.

I painted 20 bases in about 30 min the way I said. Where if they had painted model on top of them, would have taken me probably 20 min per model.

PadawanNinja likes this.
  13. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Any clue what glue was use to glue to the base?
    If CA glue Chuck a couple in the freezer for a while and try to pop them off!

If you don’t care about them squares then go to town with them once cut small enough and with good clippers you should be able to snap them off clean take your time...

Lizerd and PadawanNinja like this.
  14. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

That sounds like a good idea. May try that for a couple of them. At least the do the base before gluing down.

Now that’s interesting. Didn’t realize CA would do that in the freezer. The metal ones I may just dump in acetone (?) and melt the base off. The Star Priest i’ll have to cut...

Erta Wanderer and Lizerd like this.
  15. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

I’d be careful with acetone it may melt it into the model i would cut most of it of .... and actually CA glue would of been use to bond metal to plastic I would try the freezer for the night and see if I’ll pop in the morning..... I just cut one off as well and boy I ended up cutting the lower square as well as it was glue on with GW glue not quite as good as other plastic glue but it was on good anyway, but I’ll just make it different compared to the other starpriest I have lol

Erta Wanderer and Lizerd like this.
  16. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Just be careful when you base before you glue down. They get very fragile and tend to come off easily.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  17. Dracorex
    Cold One

Dracorex Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how well this would work on finecast, but you can strip it very quickly with just some rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.