1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardman Battalion (a blog).

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Credge, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

I recently made an order online for some stuffs. In it, a Lizardman Battalion. So far the only thing I've done is do a quick inventory and take some pictures. I'll probably prime them later on today once I decide which type of unit I want to work on first.

Pics:

P3060033.jpg

identify.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations on what I should start with? I'm thinking on starting with a group of 4 warriors as I've painted them but I'm also considering a batch of 3 skinks.

2. Kingin
    Skink

Kingin New Member

Well I got Battalion box with extra temple guard and Slann, and Steggie so I started with Temple Guard they look soo cool! Then the slann then Steggie then Saurus then Skinks then Cold Ones. Just my input Temple Guard, Saurus, skinks then Cold Ones. Or any of them.

3. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

So it's not the best picture (my camera also died, so the batteries are charging) but here's what I've done with a Saurus Warrior thus far.

P3070070.jpg

Oh yeah, I've decided to do four saurus warriors first.

Excuse the model for being dark. It really is dark at this point and it's not a lighting problem. I'm not sure if I'm going to paint the rest of the pieces first before adding brighter colors or if I'll put him together with a little bit of putty before continuing on.

4. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

i'd mix it up a bit, my probablem with units is that i always get bored with them about half way through.
    there is nothing worse than painting 20 models in the same colour combination back to back.
    so i usually change to a character or monster, just to see and works with a different colour and model.

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Why on a round base?

6. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

He's not. He won't get based for another week or so. I just don't want any paint on the bases I'll be using just yet.

I did some more work on him. Added a third layer of green. I like the result.

P3090008.jpg

P3090011.jpg

However, I also worked on the spines and I really don't like the result. The gold is acceptable, but I simply couldn't get a decent looking spine going. Mainly the lack of detail on the spine was the culprit. It's passable for TT, and I suppose it isn't that bad for my first lizardman, but I'm really bummed about it.

P3090021.jpg

P3090020.jpg

It also doesn't help that I found a mold line that blended in very well along the spines. At first I thought it was detail, but after I painted it and saw that the spines were all smooth, I realized the horrible truth.

Oh well.

7. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Looking nice

8. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

Alright, I've 'finished' one of the legs for now. It's not complete, but it's good enough for now before piecing it all together. I sort of messed up on the direction of the scale highlights on the leg, but it's not noticeable.

Oh, quick edit: Ignore the chunk of sprue, it's what I use to move it around for now.

P3090024.jpg

9. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

Quick Update: No pics but I've been pretty busy. I've finished both arms (had to do one of the arms three times as it just wasn't up to snuff) and I'm currently working on the shield. About 35% done with the shield.

After that all I have left to do is the head and the base.

Once I get all of it done I'll be able to churn them out faster. I have my scale technique pretty much down pat and the rest is just busy work.

10. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

Alright, everything was ready to get pieced together. I haven't put the shield on, I'm thinking I might not and just keep it at the base.

Note: Everything is still a WIP.

First: A really bad picture of my model, but mainly taken for the shield.

P3140026.jpg

P3140027.jpg

P3140029.jpg

Again, this is till a WIP.

11. kkboy
    Skink

kkboy Member

looks pretty good already especially that colour theme will pretty much get your guys camo in the jungle. keep up the good work.

12. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

Quick update:

Haven't had much time to paint. Have a lot of family over and one of them is sleeping in the room I paint in. All are still very much a WIP. And yes, they have been primed. I'm using a clear primer. I like the neutrality of gray but couldn't find a gray primer.

P4030035.jpg

P4030036.jpg

Those stony looking deals are what they'll be standing on. Made out of sculpy and then painted various shades of grey and basecoated with black.

13. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

Super-update time! I've been busy, also posting this stuff casually on another forum and I decided it was time for a super-update.

The first are the four finished Saurus Warriors. Nothing spectacular. Pretty proud of these guys, especially since they are my first four real completed miniatures.

P4300057.jpg

P4300060.jpg

I'm really proud of the shields. The bases are a little sloppy, but I'm happy with them. It's the first time I had ever done a base.

The next is a finished test skink as well as a (at the time) WIP skink.

P5280076.jpg

I took the same approach with the finished skink that I did with my warriors, but I took a bit more care of the skin this time around.

Here's that WIP skink finished, or close enough to finished to be happy with him. I'm not quite done with the base yet.

P6220048-1.jpg

P6220046.jpg

P6220047.jpg

Finally, here is a WIP Saurus Cold One Cavalry. The Cold One is just about done, just need the rider and then to finish up the basing. I bought a Devlan Mud at this point and I'm really impressed with it. Much easier than making my own. More expensive, but the convenience is worth it.

P7190014.jpg

P7190015.jpg

I've got another two skinks being worked on so the rider will be a bit later. I'm thinking of building all the Cold Ones first as they're incredibly fun and easy to build. I really like them a lot, especially since I'm not that in to conversions (yet!).

C&C welcome!

14. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow there is a massive improvement from that first skink to the second one, the second has so much more muscle definition and depth. The effect on him looks really cool, nice work. Also the cold one looks great. Or your painting on it does, I still cannot like the model no matter how hard I try. :p Is that just wash on the green areas or did you highlight as well? I guess if the former, then it is a pretty strong statement for the power of the washes. :p

15. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

The skin on the Cold One was a sort of dark green/blue color that was washed over with a black wash. You can see the non-washed color on the rock underneath his raised leg (also underneath the gold dangly bits).

Then, I took various shades of green, getting lighter and lighter, and brightened it up.

I used the brown wash on some areas of the skin, but I can't recall many places. His underside, a part of his face, around his feet. I also put the wash on his spines (making sure it didn't leak to the scales), the brown parts of his face, his talons, the grassy area (still being worked on), and the saddle.

I was originally going to have the saddle be a pure yellow but it looked terrible, so I washed it up until it looked good. I used some 6 layers of wash on it.

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment! I tried something new with that skink and I really, really liked the result. I sorta did the same thing on the Cold One. Take a base color, wash it black, highlight areas carefully.

16. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I have to agree with Stewart on this. He is after all.... wait a second!

I really dislike the CW models that I've seen so far. I can't identify specifics as far as what exactly that it is I don't like. Perhaps the model looks too much like it was designed around its rider and appears to 'square' for me.

Anyways, looking good on the paint keep it up! ;)

17. Credge
    Skink

Credge New Member

Thanks!

I agree on the Cold One models, at least for the Lizardmen. I prefer the scales these have, but I prefer the meaner look of the DE's lizards more. However, they both have that "This isn't the main point of the unit" look to them. It's almost goofy.

But that's alright. They're really easy to put together and fun to paint, at least for this beginner :p.

18. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

so far things are looking good! I'm liking it. heh, this is making me ponder a painting blog now...

19. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Really liking your models!