1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Lizardmen and Old One genders?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

There are no Lizardmen sexes. They reproduce exogenically from spawning pools.

All the official GW writers and almost all the fluff writers (myself included) refer to Lizardmen by male pronouns.

Since I have been working on incorporating Axolotyl's post on reptile body language I have defaulted to male body language.

Lizardmen do not have sexes, but they could have genders since genders are social constructs. Lizardmen could be destined for it or they could choose it or they could drift in and out of genders.

What would be the differences in personality and mannerisms between male and female Skinks, Saurus, Kroxigor, and above all Slann? Should we even bother? I mean we have a ready made excuse to NOT deal with Lizardmen gender if we don't want to.

The sixth edition LM book mentioned an Old One being unusual for being referred to in the feminine rather than the male. What's the difference between a male or female Old One?

If you do apply genders among the First Children of the Old Ones (or the Old Ones), should it be a 50/50 split or something else. Most real-world species imbalanced sexes have lots of sterile females and a few breeding males and females. Because we are used to referring to the First as males, I'd be inclined to make females be the rare ones.

What are your thoughts on this fluff community?

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

The main issue you face is that the lizardmen are engineered, primarily for labour and warrior roles. Favourable characteristics would be size, strength and aggression, found aplenty in male animals!

Eg alligators and crocodiles all have larger and meaner males

Monitors, beaded lizards and Gila monsters all have males which compete in ritual combats!

So what about skinks you yell? The thing is skinks a swift, intelligent able communicators..... Guess what! Chameleons, skinks and agamids (which gw skinks resemble more than actual skinks!) all communicate well, but its usually the males which do it more through colour and gesture!

This tends to e slightly reversed for amphibians, with females being larger, however communication is still largely through the males.

Hope this helps

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.