1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Lizardmen Monstrous Cavalry, I like the idea but I have no idea how to start

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scalenex, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

So I was talking with @eron12 and we came to the mutual conclusion that with the end of GW supporting 8th edition, this means the 8th edition community has more freedom to make house rules and get people to agree to them.

Anyway we got a rule. We can make new units but we have to have a model for it. One thing I'd always been intrigued with is Lizardmen Monstrous Cavalry. There are still more Age of Sigmar players, so I figure I could field them as "count as" for some kind of Order Monstrous Cavalry. In my fluff pieces, I created a beast called a Lurkerdon in fluff that Southland Skinks use as Monstrous Cavalry, but I never actually nailed down what they look like. I'm thinking crocodile like.

Anyway this is my rough draft for the stats but it's not set in stone

Skink Rider M6 WS3 BS3 S3 T2 W1 I4 A1 1Ld6
    War Party Leader +1 A
    Lurkerdon M6 WS3 BS0 S5 T4 W1 I3 W3 A3 Ld5
    Unit Size 3+
    50 points Each
    War Party Leader: 10 points
    Musician: 10 points
    Standard Bearer: 10 points.
    May take a magic Banner worth up to 50 points.
    Shields, spears
    Skinks: Coldblooded, Scaly Skin 6+ Aquatic
    Lurkerdon: Fear, Swiftstride, Aquatic, Sea Creature, Predatory Fighter, Cold Blooded, +2 additional armor save to riders

I am not much of a from scratch-sculptor but I can convert a model.

Anyone know a good crocodile or dinosaur toy that is roughly the same size as a Juggernaut or Khorne or Empire Demigryphon?

I figure I could use it as a base, add some spikes, lenghten the claws, and slap on a saddle and then put a Skink or Saurus on it. I kind of view it as a Skink mount BUT I happen to have a LOT of unused of Saurus Cold One riders sans their Cold Ones.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Warden likes this.
  2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

In the case of the Lurkerdon, is that 1 wound and 3 attacks? One wound is far too few for a 50 point monstrous cavalry model.

They are, as are the Rippers.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

MC should have 2 or 3 wounds.
    I was hoping for a meaner Saurus based Calvary.
    at say 75-100 point each....

something like one of these...
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Agreed

That would have been awesome. I would have loved to have seen that introduced with our 8th edition update. Of all the races that could have access to true (sorry terradons/rippers) monstrous cavalry, Lizardmen make the most sense in my opinion.

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I meant to make three wounds

This is what I imagine a Lurkerdon looks like, maybe with stubbier legs, webbed toes, and a wider tail but I'll adapt to something different if there is an appropriate sized dinosaur or crocodile toy

Yes, but they are Monstrous Cavalry the way a Trogoldon is a terrifying monster. I wanted something powerful and hard hitting like Chicken Knights or Juggarnauts of Khorne. Terradons are basically flying Skink Skirmishers, no durability.

Warden likes this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I have plans that involve a Dungeons and Dragons pre-paint toy. I posted a picture of it around here someplace — in a Kings of War thread.

<<..wanders off to look..>>

The thread is called "Rhinosaur Ideas". The guys from post number 35 are on two inch rounds.

Rhinosaur ideas

Same footprint as a juggernaut.

Warden likes this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Maybe something like these guys?

ogre cav crocs 1.jpg

The crocodiles/gators might be too big for a normal size saurus though.

Titan-Forge-Gator-Divers.jpg

I think they are called Titan Forge Gator Divers, good for an ogre pirates army.

Something like this could work though: some saurian riding some straight up alligators. "Lurkerdon" seems like a name that could work for these beasties, and like the mini shows they could be converted to be leaping out of the water for a Tzunki-themed force.

Scalenex and Bowser like this.