1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizardmen VS. Space Marines.... not what you think!

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Captain Krox, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Captain Krox
    Saurus

Captain Krox New Member

Hey folks!

First off, I want to explain this is not a "who would win" Marines vs. Lizards thead. One of my friends and I are trying to think of a way to have a 40K meets Warhammer game, using a hybrid of the two game system rules.

We are both really new to WFB, and to me I find it much more enjoyable than 40K... don't get me wrong, I really like 40K but some aspects of Fantasy are superlative. I have 2 main armies now, Marines and Lizardmen and was trying to think of a reasonable way to play one vs the other.

Have any of you done this? Can it even work?

It's too late in the evening to post some of my ideas, but I wll tomorrow.

In the meantime, what do you think?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Have Space Marinsz count as being skirmishing units,
    and use their stats with WHFB rules as much as posible.

3. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Considering Lizards dont have a lot of long ranged attacks they will have to get into close combat with a Space Marine to win, I dont see them standing much of a chance.

But here a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Overwelm the Marines with sheer numbers.

Treat power Armour same as Ward Saves (it is Blowguns and Swords vs. Power Armour after all)
    3+ Marine
    2+ Terminator

Things that ignore Wards like Purple Sun, Pit of Shades and Dwellers will be the Lizardmens best friend.

You could also treat Salamanders like Flamers and use the AP from 40K and maybe treat Razordons like a Bolter?

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I've done things like that.. 40k and WHFB are so similar that its really easy, you don't really need to change much. In general, 40k units are more powerful for their points though so you might need to use a marine army a couple hundred points smaller than LM.

It won't work in a competative way, but as a bit of fun where no one takes it seriously its easy. The least modification of rules you can manage the better.

5. Captain Krox
    Saurus

Captain Krox New Member

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Maybe like a patrol of Marines encouters the Lizardmen race on a new planet, etc. Obviously I wouldn't bring my Crusaders and Redeemers to the game, but would allow Rhinos, etc.

Also, I think some of the magic in WFB would do well, even against power armour.

When I get more of my Lizards together, I'll post some sort of list.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I believe the old 2nd or 3rd editions of 40k where fairly compatable to WHFB's system...

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm vehicles might be hard to squeeze in unless you modify them a bit.. What in a LM army can hurt a rhino? Possibly a bolt thrower if it is really really lucky. Maybe a couple of units in combat. You could make its AV the number of wounds it has, and give it T4-5? I say low toughness only because there are so many wounds and vehicles in 40k are quite cheap.

8. Rizardo
    Jungle Swarm

Rizardo New Member

This is something i wouldn't mind trying as well. In the Horus Heresy series in either Horus Rising or False Gods they talk about a highly ordered society of lizard people that that they clense mostly because horus doesn't want to play war their way, I thought it a shame because i'd love to have a 40k lizardman army.

A kroxigor, or a Stegadon would probably make short work of a rhino i reckon anyway.

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

lol yea fluff wize they don't realy need to destroy it,
    they only need to flip it over.
    :beaver: :pigeon:

10. Shaslain
    Saurus

Shaslain New Member

Instead of making space marines fit into fantasy why not make lizardmen fit into 40k? Don't rank up anything and forget the skirmisher rule entirely. Just treat the Lizards like normal, just make the armor save of the marines ward saves like strewart said.

As for vehicles, you should DEFINITELY add them! That would be so awesome to see a Jurassic park type thing were the rhino is smushing all the little dinosaurs, but one just manages a glancing hit to immobilize it and the others attack it until it is wrecked! Classic :D

11. Questioner
    Saurus

Questioner New Member

Yes, it does, but it just says that a lot of preparation would be needed.

12. GamesPoet
    Jungle Swarm

GamesPoet New Member

It would be interesting to see what details folks come up with regarding this idea of Lizards versus Space Marines.

Using WFB, perhaps giving the Space Marines the skirmishing rule could work, but using the vehicles could be tricky. However, turning the Lizards into a sci-fi army might work as well. I imagining some sort of a cross between Tyranids and Orks maybe.

Hope to see who's ever series about this post up what they do, army lists, rules, even a battle report wiht pictures could be good to see.

13. Captain Krox
    Saurus

Captain Krox New Member

I'll post pics up one day in the near future. I'm lucky to live in a place where the temperature can go from +40C to -40 each year. With winter coming, I'll have a lot more time to plan this out!

stay tuned

14. GamesPoet
    Jungle Swarm

GamesPoet New Member

Wondering how the planning is coming on this?

15. Captain Krox
    Saurus

Captain Krox New Member

To be completely honest, I was really stoked to do this. Sadly, I've totally lost interest in 40K. My Marine army (10,000 + points) has been trimmed to about 1500 pts (just in case I ever plan to play again). Sold / gave away most of my troops, so I'll have to retire this idea for now.

BC