1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog lizards everywhere!! (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by tearingfuture, Nov 29, 2014.

1. tearingfuture
    Jungle Swarm

tearingfuture New Member

I started collecting lizardmen about a month ago. I love looking at other peoples plogs and I hope some of you enjoy watching my army and skills grow.

I'm going to use the sacred spawning colours to differentiate my units: Skirmishers will be green, fighters will be red, priests, temple guard etc will be purple, and mounted characters and handlers will be orange. I couldn't think of a use for the yellow though.

So... Here we go.

DSC_1859_zps4b94744d.jpg
    My first Lizard, he is going to be in a cohort, with or without Kroxigor.

DSC_1834_zps390ddd69.jpg
    Some skirmishers

DSC_1835_zps68f9a85b.jpg
    I tried to have little differences in scale patterns and marking to give them some individuality

DSC_1843_zps7decb0cc.jpg
    My first "finished" unit in their movement tray!! I've achieved more in a month of fantasy than I did in a year of 40k :D

DSC_1837_zps6d2199af.jpg
    A closeup of a weapon showing the finish I used. It looks a lot cooler in real life. The paint is aerovision space by Schmincke.

I'm calling it finished, I'm not painting any feathers yet, and I haven't decided what colour to paint my base rims. The top choices are currently Rinox Hide, and Incubi Darkness. I didn't post step by steps or lists of paints as I don't know if anyone would be interested. If anyone asked then I'd be more than happy to.

I often get distracted and paint something else (Yesterday was a VC cairn wraith, last week was a plaguebearer of nurgle). again, I didn't know if this would be too far off topic or of interest.

My WIP is basically an entire army, and I could quite easily spam this forum with images of half built and half painted models. Having said that, heres a half painted salamander...

DSC_1850_zps95a449aa.jpg
    why do they only include 3 handlers? It's so annoying and I've temporarily run out of skink. I'm thinking of using a spare from the bastilodon or stegadon

DSC_1852_zpsf3ab1aad.jpg
    blurry close up of the burnt skeleton

Hope you like. Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, or requests are very welcome.

2. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

The basing of the salamander unit is easily the best part! It's good to see some thought and time put into basing. Good work!

3. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

Nice looking Salamander and base. I have two to paint and this gives me some ideas. For the frouth handler in my Salamander units, I did use extra Skinks from my Bastilodon kit. They don't look quite the same as the Skinks that are included, but they do look OK. Still to be painted too.

4. tearingfuture
    Jungle Swarm

tearingfuture New Member

Thankyou for the kind words! It's probably becoming apparent that I'm not exactly a speed painter. I've been building things mostly, and I also painted this kroxigor which I'm not very happy with but can't figure out why.

DSC_1867_zps18c3a603.jpg

DSC_1868_zps325a0737.jpg

DSC_1871_zpsb1414185.jpg

5. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I like the ideas and the colours, but it seems like you're not thinning your paints out before applying them to the model.

This is something which was raised with my own painting and I've never looked back once!

6. tearingfuture
    Jungle Swarm

tearingfuture New Member

Finished a bastiladon. Big models are so fun to paint.

DSC_1885_zpsce06be0b.jpg

DSC_1880_zps2fe8aba1.jpg

DSC_1883_zpsac6be25e.jpg

DSC_1882_zps59acc973.jpg

benciz likes this.
  7. tearingfuture
    Jungle Swarm

tearingfuture New Member

I do thin my paints, however its always either not enough or waaaay too much, and I can never seem to get the same consistency twice. I love your army, especially your chakax and croq gar.

8. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Thanks mate :) I've got a mounted oldblood in the last stages at the moment.

The way i measure it is:
    Take 1 half-tip dip of paint and tap it into your water pot. mix it into you pallet (i use the potato salad tub at the moment)
    That's for base colours. I add one or 2 more drops of water for layers, depending of how smooth the blending needs to be.

Number 1 rule: Never be afraid to do more layers of really watered down paint. It will always end up looking smoother than too many layers of not-watered-down-enough paint
    :)

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I like the shading on the Bastiladon scales. It looks like a good hybrid between realism and fantasy there. The basing blend into the movement tray is veyr nice. Excellent attention to detail.

10. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

Great looking Bastilodon. I like the paint scheme and also the glow of the jewel on the gold panels.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

The Blastidon turned out great, Real nice light sourcing from the giant ruby. :)