1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long time fan joined the hobby

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RockCoach, Feb 23, 2019.

1. RockCoach
    Jungle Swarm

RockCoach New Member

Hello everyone, RockCoach here!

I recently joined the AoS tabletop community here in Germany and started my fantasy adventure with the for me only plausible choice, that being the Lizardmen, or rather Seraphon as they are called after everything that happened.
    I always wanted to get into tabletop, but never had the opportunity, as it is a rather specific hobby, at least from everything i can tell here in Germany. But since i found out we had a warhammer store in my city, i decided to take a gander, and immediately fell in love with the play style after two introductory rounds of both 40K and AoS.
    And since i always loved dinosaurs and lizards, and me loving the Lizardmen in Total War Warhammer 2, i just had to pick them.
    I started off with the Start Collecting box and built an Oldblood on a Carno, and fell in love with it, being able to just tear through enemy lines. Then i decided to stock up a bit and got a Slann, two Bastiladon, an EotG, a Skink Starpriest, a box of Skinks, made 10 into Bolt and 10 into javelins and got my hands on another Carnosaur box for dirt cheap, which i decided to built into a Troglodon. I also built the Oldblood on foot from that box, and got an Eternity Warden and an Astrolith Bearer, which i both couldn't play yet since at the store, we are currently running a beginner-friendly AoS starting campaign. Had a tournament today, where i took my Slann, the EotG, a 20 skink band, the Carno Oldblood and two razordons. That went pretty well, played against Stormcast twice and Maggotkin once. One draw (Stormcast), losing because of fewer points slain, and two wins. The win against the Maggotkin was extremely close. I absolutely love the summoning from the Slann. Being able to summon a Bastiladon with a Solar Engine on Turn 3 is so good! And i think the Bastiladon, even though he only came in at round 3 all three games, was always the MVP, eating so much wounds and mortal wounds.

Now i was looking into how i could expand all this, what the appropriate battalions would be and such.
    But since this is a thread meant for introduction, i am going to leave that out of here, and ask the questions that are on my mind right now in another thread!

Anyway, good to meet/write with you all! And if you made it this far, thanks for reading my ramblings. :)
    And please do excuse any mistakes, grammatically or vocabulary, while i am not a bad english speaker, it certainly isn't my main language.

Have a wonderful weekend!

RockCoach

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome aboard!!

Really Nice to see/read such a joyjfor AoS and Seraphon. Keep it going ;)

Gr, Imrahil

RockCoach likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria! :)

RockCoach likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome aboard, in our AoS subforum you will find lots of discussions and helpful material. :)

Scalenex and RockCoach like this.
  5. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

RockCoach likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard

RockCoach likes this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Guten Tag!

Your English is certainly better than my German. Mein Deutsch ist sehr rustig.

Anyway let us know if you have any specific questions about gameplay, painting, fluff, or anything else!

8. RockCoach
    Jungle Swarm

RockCoach New Member

Yes, i will! Thank you. :)

Thanks! :)

And i plan to use that! Thanks! :)

Thank you! :)

Thanks alot. :)

Guten Abend!

Thanks for the compliment! :)

And as an overall question for anyone who feels like answering.
    What is your go-to baseline infantry/cavalry and why?

I tried playing with the Saurus Warriors and Knights from the Start Collecting! but they just seemed off. And i kinda dont like the skinks, because their hit and wound characteristics are so awful. I recently ordered some Guards, because the 2+ Save with the Eternity Warden and their battalion seems
    pretty powerful against armies with weak rend and low amount of mortal wounds, but i think for a baseline infantry, i might like the normal Warriors best, might have to get some more than the 13 or 14 that were included in the Start Collecting! though. :D

Crowsfoot and Imrahil like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Don't let the low base stats of our troops fool you. We are a synergy based army, they get a lot better if supported by the right heroes.

For Saurus Warriors the main thing is: go big or go home. Unless you need a minimum size unit to fulfill bataillon requirements there is only one unit size that really makes sense: 40 Saurus.

Skinks are cannon fodder and chaff, unless you play 40 and buff them up, which is the point at which they can actually kill stuff. They are cheap, and great for board control because of their ability to retreat instead of fighting, and their good move.

Guards are great against many units if you buff them up using the Eternal Starhost (3 units of Guards with an Eternity Warden leading them), but they have one huge weakness: mortal wounds cut through them easily because they only have one wound each.
    That's why they don't see a lot of use these days, the competitive armies just have too many sources for mortal wounds.

Knights are a bit weird. They are quite slow for cavalry (7 move, which is lower than some infantry) and they are basically glass cannons. Like all of our Battleline units: If you buff them up they can be pretty good. A Scar-Veteran (on Carno or Cold One) and a Starpriest near them can make quite some difference in their damage output.