1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Lord Pacha-Kamak's army - My painting log (new WIP pictures)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by SeBM, Dec 3, 2010.

1. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Since this new forum was created, I decided to re-create my army painting log. I've been busy lately setting my painting space up and I'm happy to say that it's now fully operationnal! I'll re-post the unit of skink skirmishers I had finished. Expect some photos of chameleon skinks conversions shortly. Nothing very complicated, but a cheap, nice looking alternative for those with little to no experience in sculpting with green stuff.

4 of them
    PSS7.jpg

The whole unit together
    PSS6.jpg

2. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Re: Lord Pacha-Kamak's army - My painting log

Took some photos of one of my skink skirmishers. Might have to get some better lighting... Also adding photos of my 1st connverted chameleon skink. The conversion is just changing the tail, as I intend to paint them in a special way. I'm pretty happy with how the tail turned out since this is my very 1st experience with green stuff. Constructive critism is welcome as usual!

FPSS5.jpg

FPSS4.jpg

CS2.jpg

CS1.jpg

3. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

Lol there are four of them :p :)

Great job on these they are great. i love the red crest :)

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ Lizardninja: Thanks for pointing out my mistake, you can tell I was never good at math :oops: !!!! Also thanks for the kind words on the skink skirmishers, they are the first models I have painted in 6 years and I'm really happy with how they turned out :D .

Update: I've begun working on my spear saurus warriors. Each unit in my army will have a different color scheme, representing their spawning. I'll be using GW's basic color scheme as there was a step-by-step tutorial on how to paint them. I should also post updates on the 7 others chameleon skinks I'm converting so drop by from time to time to check on updates.

5. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I've been working (not as much as I intended to) on my saurus warriors with spears. I will be posting WIP pictures of the 1st 2 steps. I'm chain painting them so while you won't be seeing finished models anytime soon, you should still be able to get a good idea of how the regiment is progressing.

As for the chameleons, I haven't had the patience to do more of them, I think I'll blitz them during the upcoming Christmas holidays.

6. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Finally an update. Might not seem much but chain painting doesn't show fast results until you've got a couple of steps done!!! The following pictures are from my test model. I will explain what what I did.

First of all, the model was primed black. I then used my air brush to basecoat my 20 saurus warriors with spear with a watered down 1/1 mix of Regal Blue and Hawk Turquoise. You can see the results on the following pictures:

WIP-SaurusWarrior1.jpg

I then painted a watered down layer of Hawk Turquoise over the Saurus' skin. The eyes were painted Iyanden Darksun. The spear blade was painted Mithril Silver and it's casing Dwarf Bronze. The shaft is Chaos Black. Claws and teeth received a layer of Khemri Brown before getting a Devlan Mud wash. All the metallic parts on the Saurus were painted Dwarf Bronze and the scales received a layer of Regal Blue. Here's a WIP shot:

WIP-SaurusWarrior2.jpg

I'm now working on making the 19 other Saurus in the unit look like this before moving on to step 2. I will keep you guys updates as soon as possible!

Attached Files:

7. Slanny*are*tranny
    Cold One

Slanny*are*tranny New Member

is this dead or are you the slowest painter in the world :D
    hope this aint offensive

8. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

This isn't dead, I'm a very slow painter and easily get distracted. For the past few weeks, I've been cleaning models (HE, Beastmen, Dwarfs stuff I had laying around), assembling IoB stuff, making movement trays and did I say I was cleaning models? I still managed to pain a bit, but nothing worthy of an update. I will be painting tonight as well.

I intend to finish my 20 Saurus by mid-february. After that, I intend to work on my Stegadon or a character (maybe my Slann), for a nice change from rank and file troops.

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Here is a picture of my mostly finished Saurus Warrior test model. He only really needs a final wash and highlight on the gold parts before I call him finished. I'm really happy about the result and it's a shame that the photo doesn't do justice to the shield. I might end up giving the shield a final highlight so it stands out a bit more but I'm really happy about how it looks in person.

100_1418.jpg

10. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Looks great! Similar to the scheme I came up with prior to the one I settled on. Cant wait to see more!

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I agree, looks very good. Nice work.

12. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I've been working on some stuff lately, haven't made much progress but I will post a picture of the basing I did for the salamander I am working on. It includes my 1st attempt at painting a real rock to make it look more real :D.

Expect the picture somewhere tomorrow afternoon eastern time.

13. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

So this is the base I came up with for my salamander. I expect to be done painting the model by the end of the week-end so you can expect pictures by then. Until then, critism is welcome!

Salamanderbase2.jpg

14. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Looks good! Are you going for a meadow-y theme?

15. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Thanks for the input Rokanos!!!

My Lizardmen army is based around a peruvian/incan background instead of aztec. I picture my Slaan's Temple city looking somewhat like this:

488648937_3af1ac724c.jpg

I hope the basing will somewhat reflect that and I think it's not so bad for a start. Do you think it fits what you can see on the picture?

Thanks once again for the constructive critism :D.

16. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Man those are some beautiful pics. As for the base, I'd say maybe a little less of the red grass? I feel like not too many flowers would grow up there on the mountain side (of course, I could just be completely sheltered have no clue lol), and those red grass strands remind me of flowers or other colorful foliage...if that makes any sense. Simply put, I get a more "low lands meadow" feel from it than a high mountain plain/ mountainside.

Looking a bit closer at those pics, I can see a few patches of area that look pretty close to what you have on that base, so I'd say leave this base like this, and maybe have 5-10 (myb 15-20 even, depending on the size of the army) more throughout the army that are like this one, but use a little less of the red on the others (still use some so these don't look grossly out of place).

17. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I always mix some scorched grass in with my regular grass, but I added more in this one. I'll keep your advice in mind and make sure I don't always use this much.

18. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

So it's been a long while since I've actually posted anything regarding my own army. That being said, I've been working on some bases for each unit.

I came up with an idea for a skirmisher unit base and I must say that I'm really happy with how it turned out. For those interested in a tutorial, here's a link to my blog. You'll be able to see how I made it step by step.

100_1516.jpg

19. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I do find those bases look a bit plain. They need something else on them. I see what you are going for, but maybe a few small rocks dotted around the place or something? The skinks look really nice though!

And where is the pictures of the salamander on that base a few posts up? :p

20. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I was thinking of adding some rocks to the base, like I did for the salamander. Do you think that would complement the base well enough??? That's the nice thing about the skirmisher base, there's place to do something nice on it, I just haven't figured out what yet :D. Thanks for the comment and I'd like to hear your ideas if you have any on what I could add.

As for the salamander itself, it's a WIP at the moment. Most of my hobby time went to making magnetic trays and the skirmisher tray (and playing Starcraft 2 :D), so the salamander is still on basecoat stage, but I should be painted pretty fast though.