1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Lustria-Online Short Story Contest April-May 2015 Contest

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Arli, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Lustria-Online Short Story Contest April-May 2015 Contest

We are going to try to steal the Under-Empire’s idea and do some periodic short story contests. Ideally every three months. There is no tangible prize apart from bragging rights.

I have volunteered to come with the theme and to collect entries. Once the deadline is past, I will post the stories on a thread with a poll. The stories will be called “Story 1”, “Story 2”, etc on the poll. Your poll number is determined by the order of submission. It is recommended but not required that you include a header with a story title. There will be a month to vote before the poll is closed.

It would probably be a good idea to PM the entry to yourself to check to make sure all the formatting tags look alright and to see what readers will see.

The theme for our second contest is Chameleons!

-Must be between 500 and 2500 words, enforced by the honor system, we are not going to word count your stories or toss out anyone's work.
    -Your name must appear nowhere with the story. There is no point in having an anonymous competition based on skill if we know whose entry is whose.
    -You must send your story via private message to Arli by April 30th.
    -There is a max of 15 entries
    -The story must be new. No dragging up a story you wrote months or years ago.
    -No plagiarism.
    -The story must involve Lizardmen to some extant
    -The story must stick roughly within the theme.
    -Up to two entries are allowed per person.

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Headers....?....meaning sumpthin' like?:

Title of Chameleon Story Goes Here

In a round spawning pool, in a jungle far, far, away, on a continent far, far, far, away, on a planet light years away...skinks...chameleons...adventure...

More words

More words

THE END​

n810 likes this.
  3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Yes, that's what we mean by headers. Looks like you are off to a good start on your riveting story, it just needs a few hundred more words.

On a related note, if anyone would like me to proofread their piece before submitting it to Arli, you can PM me your story and I'll look it over, make some suggestions and send it back to you. Just try to get to me a week before the actual contest deadline.

Slanputin likes this.
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled, fools!

Scalenex will take your ideas under the guise of a wolf dressed as a proof reading grandma lizard! With the week you have given him he will craft the best story ever and still have time to have you conveniently eliminated!

Instead you should send your stories to me along with the low low handling fee of $99.99, wait... can you smell bamboo?

Wha- Scolenex? What are you doing here?

<muffled blows and screams of pain. Transmission ends>

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Fooling fools? Do not buy into Bob's redundant redundancy. I came up with my own concept this morning so I can write something without stealing anyone's ideas, or gently lampooning Bob's narrative style.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  6. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

There will no redundant redundancy in my prize defeating short saga! There be only consistently contradictory phrases such as 'military intelligence' and 'witty Scalenex'. These phrases shall be inscrutably known as 'Oxyotls' so that I will have a tenuously strong link to the competition's subtly brilliant theme; that being the obvious secrecy of the immutable chameleons.

7. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

:wideyed:

:panda::panda::panda:But I'm so cuddly..:(Why would you hit me:(? .:panda::panda::panda:

It's because I'm not a koala? Is that it? I try my best...

Paradoxical Pacifism and n810 like this.
  8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Okay guys. We have 2 entries so far. The clock is running down. You have until the 30th to get those stories in!

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I have one started... (for real, not the silly example one in the thread...)

Slanputin likes this.
  10. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Now I can smell gum leaves!

and Pendrake, your "not the silly example one in the thread" was quite poetic, what with the use of repetition:

"More words. More words."

and given the limitations of the short story word limit, having an actual "End" which ties things up so clearly is commendable.

I also am impressed that you did the research to actually find the space-time coordinates of the Warhammer world. This should put to rest a LOT of idle speculation. If only you had told us the name of that world. Perhaps in the sequel?

11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I am up to about 400 words...

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

If they are something like:

"Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Chameleons Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex Scalenex etc"

... then you are in with a good chance!

13. Arli
    Skink Priest

2 Weeks to go and the entries are coming in!

This is good, but I think now is a good time to make sure that we have all checked the updated comp rules. I include the following ineligible entry to demonstrate some of the pitfalls.

Short Story Title: Scalenex.
    (By Scalenex)

Scene: A rocky waste. Soldiers from the Empire have surrounded and disarmed a group a large force of chameleon skinks of Lustria.

Elector Count of the Empire: Have we a count of prisoners?

Soldier: We haven't made the final count, sir.

Elector Count: shakes his head. Addresses the prisoners. I bring a message from my master, Karl Franz, Commander of the Empire. By command of His Most Merciful Excellency your lives are to be spared.

Slaves you were and slaves you remain, But the terrible penalty of crucifiixion has been set aside on the single condition that you identify the body or the living lizard called Scalenex.
    The prisoners keep their heads down. Scalenex is about to speak when-

Prisoner 1: Jumps up. I'm Scalenex!
    Other prisoners and soldiers react with surprise.

Prisoners 2, 3 and 4: Stand up. I'm Scalenex!

All Prisoners rise and chant I'm Scalenex! I'm Scalenex! I'm Scalenex!

Scene: An Imperial fortified camp

Imperial Merchant: Forgive me for being one of the last to congratulate you, Your Nobility. There's an ugly rumour going round the camp that the prisoners are to be crucifiied.

Elector Count: That is true.

Imperial Merchant: Perhaps this is the moment to remind Your Highness that yesterday you promised me I could be the agent in their auctioning.

Elector Count: Last night you promised Scalenex to me! Where is he? In return, I promised you the sale of the survivors.

Imperial Merchant: So, I tell you who Scalenex is and you will spare the others?

Elector Count: Actually no. I'm going to kill everyone, including you, because I am Scalenex!
    Roll Credits

I would like to point out a few problems which make this unfair for other entrants.

Obviously, the story is too short, it doesn't really follow the theme, barely mentions lizardmen, is not an anonymous work, but the major problem is that this work, supposedly by Scalenex is a blatant piece of plagiarism. Partially because of this, but mostly because I am Scalenex.

14. Gemini
    Skink

Gemini New Member

have your entries been filled up

15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

n810 and Scalenex like this.
  16. Gemini
    Skink

Gemini New Member

yippe... i mean thanks

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

Ok guys! We are in the home stretch. We have 5 stories submitted so far. Lets got those fingers going on the keyboards!!!!!f

Slanputin likes this.
  18. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

5 stories? Wow! That's 2 for me, 4 for LKC, one for Scalenex and and ...running out of fingers. :(

lordkingcrow likes this.
  19. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

Sorry guys, but I'm not sure I'll be participating in this next competition. :( I started a story, but have been distracted by another project I'm working on. I'll try to get it in my cross hairs and finish it, but with only 3 days left I'm not sure it'll happen. My title will likely be taken by another more worthy and committed writer. Good luck! I'll be voting. :)

20. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

If the title you were thinking of was "Chameleons" there is a good chance you are correct.

Slanputin likes this.