1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many dipped lizards

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by IronLizard, Jun 13, 2017.

1. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Hi all,

I'm pretty intimidated by the standard of a lot of the painting on here; frankly my combination of lousy eyesight, limited time and being borderline OCD about playing with unpainted models means I've gone down the dip route with my army. They're really not great but I'm happy with them for tabletop standard and a couple of people were interested on my introduction post, so here are some pics!

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Like I said, not the best but on the flipside I've built and painted 20 warriors, 20 skinks, 10 chameleon skinks, 15 knights, a carnosaur, a troglodon, a bastilidon, a ScarVet on cold one, an old blood on foot, a starpriest and a skink chief since 19th May!

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Anything is better than grey plastic and they look decent enough, one thing I would do is add some grass tufts to the bases and maybe repaint the lip at the moment they are a bit grey.

Decent effort ;)

IronLizard and Ritual like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

They look pretty good to me!
    Don't be dissing my NMG (non metallic grey). I'm also the master of MG, aka metallic grey... aka silver pewter. :cool:

4. Flutterbat
    Skink

Flutterbat Member

I was so inspired by your NMG technique that I ran to my desk and painted up one of my Brutes that way. It's amazing how quickly this produces a realistic plastic finish in just two thin coats of air.

[​IMG]

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm glad you like my pro tip. It's a great way to get a quick and uniform effect across an entire army.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I kinda like it, they look a bit stoney and rustic...

Overall I can see how the speed would be nice in getting the whole lot to table quickly that's for sure!

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think your models are OK. If you add a bit of stuff to your bases that will also improve their look without being much work. :)

SlanntaClause, IronLizard and Ritual like this.
  9. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Thanks for the comments - I had thought I will probably go back and add some tufts to the larger bases (troglodon, bastilidon etc).

SlanntaClause, Aginor, Ritual and 2 others like this.
  10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

:sorry:
    I have seen paint jobs, on Miniatures, on tables, where I would have preferred to see NMG.

There, I have said it. :muted:

11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

@IronLizard :: how did you dip something as bulky as the Troglodon or Carnosaur?

Also, what product or mix recipe are you using? :shifty: Asking for a friend.

IronLizard likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Hahaha... love it! My new fancy painting technique is starting to pick up steam!

SlanntaClause likes this.
  13. IronLizard
    Skink

IronLizard Member

Strictly I don't 'dip' them; I apply the dip with a brush - it's a lot more controlled that way and you don't waste any dip.

The dip is satin dark oak wood varnish from Wilko - I think it was about £3 for the can and I've dipped about 3,000 points of orks and about 1,750 points of seraphon and have about a quarter of the tin left. I left the seraphon with the satin finish as I liked the sheen effect (I think it makes them look more lizard-y) but with the orks I give them a quick blast of Matt spray varnish to take the shine off.

tom ndege likes this.
  14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Wonderfully done, I enjoyed the paint schemes on your saurus cavalry and carnosaur, and the chameleon skinks. Also liked the bases!