1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Mass Razordons?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Aginor, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hey y'all!

Ok I know it sounds silly (silly expensive especially) but I wondered if a mass Razordons list wouldn't actually be pretty hilarious. Think about it:

let's look at the numbers:

Razordons are artillery, we are allowed to have four units of artillery in 2000pts. A unit of Razordons may have 4 models (GHB) so we may play up to sixteen Razordons in four groups.

A group of four Razordons is the same prize as a group of 30 Skinks.
    2D6 is 7 on average, which means that our Razordons on average have roughly the same number of attacks as 30 Skinks (but of course may have more or less), and the same chance on actually hitting something (3+/4+/-/1) and they are rerolling hits of 1 as long as a group of Handlers is near.
    They have a shorter range (12" instead of 16") but they have rend -1 if the enemy is within 6".
    They have a better save but of course lack wary fighters and they have less wounds (16 instead of 30 )
    They have the same move and the same bravery.
    They have better attacks in melee. 12x 4+/3+/-/1 is more than a group of 30 Skinks will be able to do most of the time.

They also have a 50% chance of shooting the crap out of those attackers if they charge. So I would play the list below, with the Razordons standing _just_ behind a line of guards.

With the Bastiladon that's 34D6 (so 119 on average if I did the math correctly) attacks.

I also wondered the same about Salamanders....
    But well, ONE of them is 22€ so at that ludicrous price if I don't find a way to make them myself I will probably not try that.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
    Skink Starpriest
    (100)
    Saurus Eternity Warden (140)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard
    (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline

Units
    4 x Razordons
    (240)
    4 x Razordons (240)
    4 x Razordons (240)
    4 x Razordons (240)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon
    (300)

Battalions
    Eternal Starhost
    (80)

Total: 2000/2000

n810, Bracnos and tom ndege like this.
  2. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

It's gonna have some serious trouble against most armies since they 'll be quickly exposed and the range ain't that big * so many range units have 25+ range nowdays * so I think it wouldn't work for pitched battles. It is a really good / fun idea however and I would definitely consider finding a list with the same philosophy and less razordons in it !

3. Workschmock
    Saurus

Workschmock Member

I don't think it would be strong, but could still be fun to field and play. At 2000 i would estimate small chances to get into reach without losing halve your razordons. If your enemy cannot snipe them or kill your guard meatshield, it could work though. Maybe play against a horde close combat army =)
    Btw, do you like salamanders more than razordons? I have 3 Dons but they sucked every game I fielded them (2d6 is average of 2 to 4 shots for me XD)..

4. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

This list is absurdly funny!
    I imagine battling against it could feel like being a in a minefield!
    I'd like a lot to play it or against it... But I don't know enough people who could lend me, well, those 15 missing razordons!
    :confused:
    Maybe this army won't do wonders in a competitive environment, but I understand this is not the aim of this army list.

5. Aginor
    Slann

I imagine it could be fun against a melee only army. Block them with guards and shoot shoot shoot. Surely not a competitive list, I agree with that.

I usually run two Razordons and they usually pull their weight so I thought: "What if we add more?" that's where the list came from.

If I find a cheap substitute model for either Salamanders or Razordons (or manage to make my own in some way, I will try that) I will play that list one day.

Seraphage and tom ndege like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Just wondering, but doesn't the GHB also say you're supposed to buy them per 3? How is the limit of them 4? That makes no sense.

7. Aginor
    Slann

No. Razordons have min 1 max 4 in the GHB. One is 60 points.
    So no problem there.

If you play without GHB you can even have all in one group if you wish.

n810 likes this.
  8. GreenMachine
    Skink

GreenMachine Member

Alternatively, you could put those points aside in a summoning pool and then just summon them 15" (23" if you have astrolith bearer) but no closer than 9" and just protect the crap out of the slann. That way you could potentially also get the astrolith bearer within range and re-roll the missed to hit. It'd be pretty unexpected.

Aginor likes this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In between the rule of 1 & the fact that those spells aren't guaranteed succeses that seems like it'd not work with a giant horde of razordons.

Seraphage likes this.
  10. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

I've not managed to play much (any?) AoS since last summer but I'm really hoping to give something like this a try.

I've got 9 Salamanders & 9 Razordons and want to try and put all of them in a list at some point just for a bit of a change. The problem is having tried both units they never seem to do enough (apart from in very small games) to justify their points.

n810 likes this.
  11. Soul Zenmuron
    Skink

Soul Zenmuron Member

Also, with the summoning pool rules, you can have more artillery than you should. If you already have the 4 units in field at the start, and have points to spare, you can summon an extra unit.