1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal used for Citadel minis?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Gor-rok, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Does anyone know what the basic constitution of GW metal models is? I heard that it's some sort of nickel alloy, but I can't find any text to substantiate this.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

It is made of white metal or pewter. Alloys typically vary depending on the company, but now that lead is no longer used they are based primarily on tin. Models around 15-20 years old would most likely still have lead in them.

3. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Yes, I think they've been "officially" lead-free since '97.

4. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Thanks for the feedback. I want to use one of my unpainted models as a classroom example of a die cast product, and the primary metal can tell you what variety of machine was used to cast it. Don't want to look like any more of an idiot than I usually do...

If I can find a bit of sprue, we could heat it and make sure; tin only takes 450 F to melt, +/-. Thanks.

5. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

As far as I can remember they use a cenrtifugal casting method that is why they can get the finer details.
    redeyefrog

6. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

I was right have a look at this web sight to have a look at a mold for a toy soldier www.themouldmaker.com
    and I dont think they use a die casting method where as the metal is forced into the mold under pressure were as in centrifugal casting the spinning of the mold forces the metal into the crevises and is usually feed into a hopper.
    hope this helps
    redeyefrog

7. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

They've been lead-free since '97? So some of the old models can still poison you?

8. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

well only if you're planning on eating them really... small concentrations of lead are not going to do anything to you.

9. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Very interesting! It makes sense that they don't need expensive, high pressure die casting equipment for making relatively limited numbers of models out of soft metal. Thanks for the information, redeyefrog; I'll make my presentation deal with spin casting, and use some centrifugally cast pipe for another example.

Hmm... Maybe I can recruit some more players out of this as well...

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Its good practice to wash your hands before and after assembling, preparing or painting models anyway. We do use a lot of chemicals that can be toxic (super glue, greenstuff, some paints etc.), and while the concentrations are usually pretty safe its best to just not risk it.

And why wash before? Excess oil on your skin can get on models (metals far worse than plastics) and make it harder for the paint to stick to them. Should wash metal models before priming them as well.