1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Metal vs finecast

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Monorailpig, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

Hey folks,

I'm going to preface this by saying that I have flu so it's hard to think so this is not neccesaraly going to be easy to read

Given how many of our models are finecast, and people's trepidation in using finecast. Which models are ok in finecast, ie no filligree which can snap off and all that jazz?

Kroxigors are about the same price for 3 in metal as finecast l, this is what inspired my post

Thanks folks

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I myself have bought and made up several models in both metal and Finecast, and all of them came out fine - my Ork Warboss with Attack Squig, Dwarf Runelord and Skink Priest with Feathered Cloak were all pretty decent quality with no major flaws (the Ork Warboss in particular was more Kroxigor size and he was OK), but perhaps I was one of the lucky ones. Perhaps @NIGHTBRINGER can elaborate on the joys of a bad Finecast sculpt ;). To be honest it’s up to you really in my view. If you’re not so worried about flash or anything and want miniatures light enough to move around the table without constant fear of what happened if they fell over, go Finecast as it is lighter without a doubt (my metal Hive Tyrants are pretty heavy things and I imagine Kroxigors would be almost as bad - if they accidentally tip off the table or anything like that, it’ll be most likely they’ll be paying a visit to the painting table the following day for repairs) while if you’re not so worried about weight and are looking to make sure there are no defects in your model, go metal as there are far fewer complaints about it and it is thus more reliable from this perspective.

NIGHTBRINGER and Monorailpig like this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Finecast is the lowest tier of models quality, there's really no debate.

NIGHTBRINGER and Monorailpig like this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Did anybody ever release (or reverse engineer) technical specifications on “finecast” as far as what material it is?

Other companies produce resin models, they just call it resin, the quality is excellent to exquisite.

Finecast = resin? Finecast =/= resin?

LizardWizard and Monorailpig like this.
  5. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

80% bubbles, 10% wet tissue for strength and 10% poison if I recall

6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Every Finecast model I own turned out just fine. If I ever had any issues I send it back to the GW store and get a new one.

7. Monorailpig
    Skink

Monorailpig Member

I suppose its not so much defects with finecast that's the issue. But rather how tricky it is to work with, it being so weak and such.

My friend had an Arjac Rockfist I think it was which was so hard to take off the sprue he ended up with loads of dings and slashes

Metal is much more forgiving I'd imagine

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

It is certainly time consuming to work with. And more annoying to prime and paint than metal. But I don't miss removing the flash from metal and having to change razor blades daily.

Putzfrau and Monorailpig like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm definitely not an expert in FailCast as I only own two models cast in the stuff. It just really bugs me that they marketed it as as being of exceptional quality while it was anything but. The air bubbles are annoying and it just feels weak and flimsy. I'd imagine it is much cheaper to work with than metal, yet those savings were never passed on to the consumer. If they were going to move away from metal, I'd expect a product as expensive as GW's to be cast in hard plastic. I think everyone would have been happy with that.

10. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Pewter is easily my least favorite type of model to work with. Give me finecast all day, i hate working with Pewter. I hate having metal shavings everywhere, i hate pinning, i just didnt find it enjoyable at all.

Monorailpig and LizardWizard like this.