1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modelling a slaan

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Revered_Guardian, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Well, i came across a problem......how is the litttle stand supposed support a metal model? and Just as importantly, the plastic thing that it goes into is too big for the base........

Could someone tell me what they did to strengthen the support? All I can think of so far is to put 2 Temple guard holding it up.......

And I assume that you just cut off the excess of the see through base?

2. Ashtoreth
    Skink

Ashtoreth New Member

im poundering sclupting a base for mine actually (grey stuff ftw)

then again, it fits with my theme o.0 (ashes/lava)

3. Kai-Boq
    Skink

Kai-Boq New Member

Well i'm jusing it. I've glued the stick to the palanquin, and glued the little round plastic flying base to the big sqaure base. I think it works pretty well.

4. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I have no trouble with mine, but it does make it a fragile model. I know that I took a power drill to the palanquinn base so that the it was set straight on the plastic mount. As long as you're carefull, you generally don't run the risk of breaking anything.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Its actually a good thing if the plastic bit is too large. Then you can file it at an angle and make the end pointed/rounded just to the point where it will fit and cram it in hard, it will hold a lot better. Far better than if the hole is too big for the peg, if that happens with a model you need to fill up the rest of the gap with something. Usually greenstuff, which isn't very strong.

Remember, the slann is a lot heavier than the base so when you glue the two bits together, sit it upside down so the slann is on the table and the base is pointing up. Leave it alone for 2 hours, then add a little bit more super glue to it so it dries around the outside and adds a little more structure, then leave it alone for a good 12-24 hours to reach full strength.

Even then it is still a fragile model so handle it with care. The stalks can often take a bit of force, but not a lot. The other way is to try to use a thin piece of metal as the peg instead, you can use it instead of the plastic stalk or if the metal is thin enough try drilling a hole in the stalk to put the metal in. This will be much stronger, but requires more effort.

6. Time of Madness
    Skink

Time of Madness Member

I used a straight/thick heavy duty nail to support the slann. Makes the whole model very sturdy.
    Time of Madness

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

My plan is to make my own "flying base" of sorts, in the form of a massive pile of skulls that the palanquin is rested upon. Not until I can afford a couple boxes of Skeleton Warriors though. 8)

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow a nail is a good idea. That would indeed be very strong. I may consider that for my Slann. One of them anyway, the other is all plastic/resin so should be pretty light. :)

9. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Thanks for the ideas guys!