1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Mokomoko’s Paint Blog of Lizards and Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Mokomoko, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

So in a nutshell, this paint blog is a bunch of pictures dinosaurs and lizards which I spent way too much time on. Currently I haven’t finished many of them, but I’m going to try to paint them as well as possible (which isn’t saying much). Anyway, here are the contents:

1) Bastiladon
    2) Saurus Warriors

Imrahil, Nazqua and Shanobi like this.
  2. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

image.jpg Here’s my Bastiladon! I built it with a Solar Engine, and used colours similar to the ones on the box. It’s still a WIP, I need to paint skinks + solar engine. Above is how it is currently, and below is what is looked like before I painted the underbelly. 24DAE4DD-97D8-4798-8347-BC83AC3F23AD.jpeg

3. Shanobi
    Jungle Swarm

Shanobi Member

Looking good best of luck with your painting!

LizardWizard, Nazqua and Mokomoko like this.
  4. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Looks good!

LizardWizard and Mokomoko like this.
  5. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

Thank you so much! I will add my Saurus Warriors soon. Any tips for the Basty?

LizardWizard and Nazqua like this.
  6. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Looking great!

LizardWizard and Nazqua like this.
  7. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

A few tips:
    1. don't rush it and steadily work through it
    2. 'A Biel-tan green' wash over the scales will make the recesses fade out a bit and give it a bit more of an even coat
    3. If your up for it a small coat of 'Ard Coat' will make it shine and really pop out.
    4. An agarax earthshade wash on the underbelly might work well to make it look a bit more dirty and natural.
    5.I used a tiny bit of 'Kislev Flesh' On the top of the underbelly to give it a bit more of a warm hue/ this gives it some added variation and smooths the transition from the belly to the shell
    6. I would recommend going over the dots with some more watered down paint to make them a tiny bit more noticeable
    7. For the solar engine, I would Pick a Lizardmen faction color scheme, Itza = White and yellow, Hexoatl = Light orange and red Xlanupec = Light blue and dark blue/black. - furthermore, you could even do the symbol of the faction on one of the scales.
    8. Some 'Auric Armour Gold' could work well on the solar engine to highlight some of the gold and give it variation, this could also be done with a light drybrush of ' Golden Griffon'
    9. A tip for the future, I would usually paint the solar engine in two parts separate from the bastiladon so I can easily do the pattern underneath and not worry about getting flecks of paint on the bastiladon.
    10. This is Probably a personal preference But I always think a light green/ vibrant strip going down the center back scales always looks quite nice and makes the model really pop, I would recommend the 'Moot green' paint - for example ( not including the 'drip' effect) Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 22.46.14.png

Anyhow, These are obviously suggestions and are some things I found useful when painting mine.

aopps42, Warden, Shanobi and 3 others like this.
  8. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

If you want to limit the paints you buy, the underbelly could be done with reikland fleshshade to shade and get some darker tones instead of earthshade and reikland fleshshade would give the gold on the solar engine a bit more definition and a warm tone to it.

I find a lot of the bigger lizards can be painted beginner and time friendly with a drybrush of a lighter tone just to catch the edges of the scales. So if you use a brownish shade on the underbelly skin to make the creases darker then drybrush a bit of a lighter tone across the scales to catch the edges (something like karak stone maybe or mix some of your skin tone with white say 1 part white paint 1 part skin tone). If you're patient and try to be carful when you get near the green carapace you should be able to get a nice highlight on the skin. Remember better too little then too much.

If you're just getting into the hobby best advice is start slow don't worry about being perfect worry about developing skills and techniques.

You can also learn a lot of ideas from watching videos on warhammer tv on youtube and other painting channels. Even if its not for the model you're currently painting. I picked up the fleshshade tip from some of the videos there and it really changed how I approach warm yellow golds as opposed to brass and bronzes in my metal painting. I did the carnosaur in the avatar using the warhammer tv guide to painting the demon primarch magnus the red.

Nazqua likes this.
  9. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

Yeah I used a couple of coats of Zandri Dust, then Reikland fleshshade.

Acrocanth and Nazqua like this.
  10. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

I did see a good video for Skink Flesh on Warhammer TV. I think I would use that for the Bastiladon Skinks.

Acrocanth and Imrahil like this.
  11. Acrocanth
    Razordon

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good start :)

12. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

Bastiladon is officially finished!

Attached Files:

13. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

Any questions on how I did certain parts, feel free to ask

Nazqua likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Looks good!

Nazqua likes this.
  15. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

Thanks!!! I did a lot of work on it!

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Your bastiladon looks great!

Nazqua likes this.
  17. Mokomoko
    Saurus

Mokomoko Active Member

Thanks so much! It took a lot of work :)