1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Monster wound tables rules

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ILKAIN, Feb 17, 2020.

1. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

So there was a discussion in a thread about making the basti 10 wounds, and it was remarked that Monsters cant have 10 wounds or they get a wounds table. comparatives were drawn to the aspects in the Deepkin armies, but those don't have the monster keyword.

well the power creep finally got there. we officially have a monster with 10 wounds and no degrading wounds table.

the Mindstealer Sphiranx has 10 wounds the monster keyword, and no degrading wounds table.

GW is slowly breaking their own rules, and there is no longer an argument to be made for a Basti with less than 10 wounds.

2. Shocksem
    Saurus

Shocksem Active Member

Maybe in the new BT, who knows...

3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

this might be true but my muny is on GW stiking to the rule rather then making 10 wound mosters the norm

4. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

It wasn't a design rule as far as I know, only a normality. Patterns can be broken, and honestly, a basti with 10 wounds, and no table, at its current stats otherwise, would not be the best ever. It would be good, but certainly not op or broken.

Same for the Mindstealer. It's basically 10pts per wound on that thing. Its ability is good, but it's situational and has to use it in the Hero Phase, where it wants to use it in the combat phase after it's moved or charged.

Nart likes this.
  5. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

LordBaconBane Well-Known Member

Speaking about the Bastiladon, I think the snake range needs an increase, maybe from 8->10 or 12.

Dragvindel and Carnikang like this.
  6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

tha would help but the problem isn't rang. it's the fact you cant chose where the damage goes. if im fighting a guant summoner standing behind a pink horror unit i don't want the damage going into the pinks random damage like that is always worse then targeted damage.

Carnikang likes this.
  7. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

I agree.

I just had a random thought. What if for the Bastiladon Ark of Sotek it worked like this:

Pick up to 6 units in range. If there units in range you must select them. If you are able to pick 1-3, roll d6 mortal wounds. If there are 4-6 units, roll d3 mortal wounds.

Probably could be worded better, but the idea is you get to pick your wounds. The d6 option had an average woubd rate of 10.5 (assuming all units) and d3 has an average wound rate of 12.

Another option would be just to treat the Ark of Sotek like an attack with rend or something, but that could be underwhelming.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

neat. personally i would have it as a debuff wagon reducing speed and giving -1s to things like hit rolls as the opponent tries to move and fight threw hordes of ethereal snakes

Carnikang and LordBaconBane like this.
  9. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Agreed, we are sorely lacking in something that gives debuffs to hit values. the ones we do have are all locked behind spell casting.

10. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

Why not both?

As some general theory crafting, -1 to hits is powerful but a speed debuff may not provide good utility since you'll want your Basti to be in melee. So -1 to enemy hit rolls and maybe d3 damage as well to enemy units (up to 6) in range?

I'd love to hear any other suggestions tho

11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

i've never wanted my bastiladon in melee he isn't tanky enough to be an anvil and he does no damage i'd have him behind a block of warriors making shur no one could get to them and when they do that it's harder to chew threw. the bastiladon is just sturdy enough to be a good support unit.
    the other option is to make the ark a melee monster giving it a tone of up close attacks to be the opposite of the sun crystal i would still like to see him get harder to kill but making it a solid hammer would do a lot to make us usable again

Carnikang likes this.
  12. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Question my good skink why do some monster have 10 wounds with no table?

Imrahil and Carnikang like this.
  13. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

to date I am only aware of one, the one I just described. if you have found another I would love to see it. no theory should go untested lol

14. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

i wonder, where is it written that a monster with 10+ wounds does have a wound table?

15. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

its not written anywhere. its simply been how they have done it. with the one exception I mentioned above, I cannot find any other model with the MONSTER keyword, and 10 wounds or more, that didn't have a wounds table.

Imrahil and Erta Wanderer like this.
  16. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

HA!!!! told you! Basti went to 10 wounds and now it has a wound table.... *SHRUG*

17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

we where right... but at what cost

Dracorex likes this.
  18. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

the cost of my optimism.

19. Dragvindel
    Cold One

Dragvindel Well-Known Member

Dread Saurian went to 35
    Degrades after 12 wounds taken
    By the old ones

20. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

37 if you run me in the thunder lizard so big boy...you wanna run wild on the world? Because im gonna

Cuetzpal Pilli and Dragvindel like this.