1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monstrous arcanum: dread saurian

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rettile, May 3, 2013.

1. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

i have monstrous arcanum on my pc, but the quality isn't very good
    could you give me the stats, the point value and the special rules of the dread saurian?

2. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I think we are in the same boat...im leaving out the points but for what I can tell:

M7 WS4 S8 T7 W6 I3 A6 LD6

upgrades from the top:
    - Can become ethereal
    - Gains flaming attacks and causes 2D6 S4/5 flaming impact hits
    - others gets -1 to hit in CC, and Daemons and Undead in base gains ASL
    - Becomes unbreakable, gets M5 and T8 - 35
    - Gains ambusher and all shots made as a Stand and shoot reaction must re-roll hits.

rules

- has a single Heroic-KB attack
    - multiple wounds
    - cold blood
    - 3+ AS

its a beast, and I want it in 8th.

3. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

thank you
    and what base it should use? i think i'm going to try this guy in a friendly game
    multiple wound d3 or d6? and what does it means s4\5 impact hits?

4. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I have the book in front of me and I'm using skaven slaves for point costs:

7 4 0 8 7 6 3 6 6 225 ss

Gain Etherial special rule 37.5 ss

Gain flaming attacks and causes 2D6 S3 Flaming impact hits 17.5 ss

All attacks targeting Dread Saurian have -1 to hit. In addition, all Daeminic or Undead models in base contact gain Always Strike Last 17.5 ss

Gains Unbreakable special rule and reduces movement rate to 5 while increasing toughness to 8 17.5 ss

Gains Ambusher and Swiftstride special rules. All successful stand and shoot hits must be rerolled 12.5 ss

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

More accurate than my blurred file :p Its says nothing about terror or fear does it? Or basesize?
    My guess terrorgheist size.

6. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

It causes Terror. Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about base size.

7. heuningby
    Saurus

heuningby Member

From the recent images it looks gigantic.

My guess is an ogre to the dread saurian looks like a skaven slave to a tomb kings chariot

8. heuningby
    Saurus

heuningby Member

I am considering getting myself this http://www.paleocraft.com/concavenator.html and converting it to a dread saurian.

What ya think?

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Scalenex likes this.
  10. bveazey
    Jungle Swarm

bveazey New Member

Are there any special rules as for when you can field this guy? I am very new to WFB and assuming this is a super heavy kind of model Can I use him in any normal game? I dont want to run into an issue a friend of mine did. Purchased a chaos LOW and could never field him.

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Sadly no. Officially you can only use Dread Saurians in Storm of Magic or Monstrous Battles. Many people house rule them in or add monsters options to both side (essentially make it a Monstrous Battle).

12. cresty
    Skink

cresty New Member

What exactly is a monstrous battle? My local group mostly skips all expansions and addonsso i am clueless

13. Scalenex
    Slann

Monstrous battles give give both sides 25% or 50% bonus points to spend on Scroll of Binding Monsters depending on the player's preference.

So a 2000 point Lizardmen army would be normal, but it would also have 500 or 1000 points of Scroll of Binding Monsters. It's basically a Storm of Magic game without the magic rules.

Storm of Magic and Monstrous Arcanum both have a lot of Scroll of Binding options. Some White Dwarfs have some and some other supplements that pop up here and there. I'm not sure if there is a comprehensive list.

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

@Scalenex sorry, but have a rookie question here. How does the Monstrous Arcanum fit into 8th Edition? I've never heard of it. Is it a supplementary rulebook? Do I need to get my opponents agreement to use it?

(I'm asking the questions before I go buy a copy as I really like the sound of the Dread Saurian :D )

15. Scalenex
    Slann

The Monstrous Arcanum book is a supplement released by Forge World, it's official part of 8th edition Games Workshop lore but like everything Forge World sells, it's expensive.

Basically you have to talk it with your opponent first. You cannot just show up with a Dread Saurian in your list to an official event with permission. But most players will allow you to use Monstrous Arcanum stuff if you ask nicely, especially if you have a cool model representing whatever you plan to use.

Technically, if you play a Storm of Magic game, you can use Monstrous Arcanum monsters without obtaining special permission. But I haven't played a lot of Storm of Magic games. I only played at one tournament at a game store but it kind of fizzle. We each had three matches and each match was supposed to take an hour. Guess what? An hour is not sufficient for a 2000 point Storm of Magic match. I don't think I ever managed to finished the third turn.

There is a special scenario in Monstrous Arcanum which I have never seen an event for but looks like a lot of fun and it is a lot less fussy rules wise than a full Storm of Magic game.

If you like beautiful artwork and interesting fluff it's probably worth buying the book (though it's not cheap), but if you only want the stats for the Dread Saurian, the book is probably a waste of money.

Unfortunately there is no other way to get stats for the Dread Saurian apart from buying the out of print book.

For all I know, since 8th edition is now out of print we MIGHT be able to put the stats and points costs for the Dread Saurian on L-O without drawing Games Workshop's ire. I am not sure.

Logically, they shouldn't be opposed because the net result is GW will sell more models, but logic doesn't always fall in Intellectual Property arguments.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Ha-ha ha! HA HA! (ahem, sorry. reassuming a sense of propriety ) Yes, especially when there is any relation to potentially making some money out of it.

17. Scalenex
    Slann

Okay we the L-O have figured we could post 8th edition stats but not full PDFs

Enjoy

Dread Saurian
    M7 WS4 BS0 S8 T7 W6 I3 A6 Ld6 Monster Unit Size 1 450 points

Armor Save 3+, Terror, Swamp Strider, Multiple Wounds (d3), Coldblooded, Rending Jaws: single special Chomp attack with Heroic Killing Blow. I'm not sure if this is in addition to the 6 regular attacks or if it counts as one of them.

Options (you can take zero, one, some or all of them)
    Tepoc's Crystalline Eye (75 points) gain Ethereal

The Blazing Configuration of Chotec (35 points): Gain Flaming Attacks, 2d6 S 3 flaming impact hits

Quetzl's Flawless Heartstone (35 points): Reduce Movement to 5, raise Toughness to 8, gain Unbreakable

The Shadow Rebus of Huanchi (25 points): Gain Ambusher and Swiftstride. Models making stand and shoot against Dread Saurian must re-roll successful hits

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

PHWOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell.

Shame I have to get agreement to use this lovely gentleman, as when I show the stats it will definitely be a no. ;)

Imrahil likes this.
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

450 points and Ld6. Those are big limitations on it's stats.

Imrahil likes this.
  20. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

WS 3 and "only" 6 wounds is limiting as well. Unless he has the ethereal upgrade he is barely any more resilient to cannons than a stegadon for double the price.

Imrahil and Scalenex like this.