1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Moving my story forwards. Have your say!

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Fhanados, May 2, 2017.

1. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Hello Spawnlings and Scar Veterans alike!

It's been a while since I've posted on this forum properly. Sadly, as one gets old and fat and accumulates those pesky adult responsibilities like a wife, a house, children, hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt and other such nuisances the things we enjoy tends to slip through the cracks. This happened to me in a pretty severe way, but I'm as excited as ever by this wonderful hobby of ours! Mostly because of the upcoming 8th edition 40k, but I've never really developed an in depth background or cast of characters for my 40k armies. I think it's because Lizardmen are my one true love.

Long term members who peruse the Fluff and Stories board have probably seen my Lizardmen background. If not, here's a shameless plug! Anyway I've come to a bit of a roadblock and rather than have another 6 months with no posts to show I thought I'd outsource my creativity to my Spawnkin! I'm looking for some ideas for a direction to take with some of my characters. I DID originally have a plan mapped out for them all, but the End Times simultaneously completely threw that out the window and presented a fantastic opportunity to come up with something different.

Pretty huge spoilers ahead, so if you haven't read my stories yet and you want to, check out my massive slabs of text before clicking the spoiler tag below.

The last we saw everyone's favourite Eternity Warden he was bleeding to death after a duel with a Khorne fellow. Fear not! You WILL see more of him. In fact, he's the only one I still have a solid plan for so I'm not actually looking for any ideas for him.... yet...

Not quite in as dire circumstances as Szeratops but still not in peak condition. At least his army isn't anyway. He WILL be involved in a coalition of Dwarves and Humans facing a particular foe with nigh-infinite numbers, but asides from mounting an epic defense in the name of Order I don't quite know what he's doing long term. He's kind of stuck in the Badlands at the moment, cut off from the Human kingdoms and Border Princes to the North by an enormous Greenskin migration.

There's not a whole lot to do in the Badlands other than kill Orcs (and other, yet-to-be-revealed enemies) so I'm open to suggestions on where he could go.

Aki has some greater purpose... that I haven't decided on yet. At the moment he's on the Serpent isles with Biqi and Choloq in the aftermath of their heated debate about how to save (or not save) the world.

Now my original plan for him was to take his posse to Ulthuan and reveal some lost Old One stuff, possibly tied to the Vortex. This was well before the End Times books were a thing, and really nothing ever happened on Ulthuan so it seemed like a safe bet and could be done without stepping on too many toes.

Now that we know Ulthuan experienced the biggest civil war since the Sundering, and subsequently sank into the ocean I don't really want to go down this path. Maybe something related to Ulthuan (I want to have a glimpse of the tragedy of the Elves, and will be incorporating their whole "cycle" thing into the story through another character) but ultimately he can't GO there. The place isn't safe.

Besides, all the Elves going back to Ulthuan matches Mazdamundi's policy of "go back to where you came from" so if the Dark Elves are already going home there's no reason for them to enforce some kind of Elf migration.

I also would LIKE to have Aki present at the final defense of Lustria and have a bit of interaction with Mazdamundi before he goes off to shoot lasers at meteors.

On that note, does anyone know what Temple City Mazdamundi is at when he melts his brain?

A similar situation to Aki. Biqi essentially is Aki's "interpreter" and should be on hand most of the time. He's also probably the most "human" of my characters and a good contrast to Aki as the most "inhuman" so I'd like to keep them together as much as possible. It would allow me to explore the emotions involved with the invasion and destruction of Lustria from a human perspective as well as Aki's cold almost robotic perspective. Again, I want him back in Lustria for the final defense and Exodus, it's just the in-between part I'm not sure about.

Yeah I don't know about this guy. Aki has recruited him and the fire wizard skinks to his army, I just don't know what to do with them. I don't really want to just turn around and go back to Lustria and fight Skaven, but I see them as useful for shooting down comets like Mazdamundi does. My main angle for Choloq was to teach Biqi fire magic and I think I still have a plan for that, but as with Biqi it's just what will they do between then and now?

I have some minor plans for him - you haven't seen the last of him yet! I'm still open to ideas though. He was originally going to be a bit of a throw away character but I introduced him as a named Skink and related to another major character so it feels wasteful to toss him away. Not going to be a major player by any means, but sometimes the smallest actions have big effects and I think this is a good character to utilise that trope with.

Edit: Just to be clear, adult responsibilities are a nuisance. My wife and daughter are both lovely human beings who I wouldn'tpleasedon'thurtmeIdidn'tmeanit!

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Paul1748 and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Hmmm, give me a bit, I may want to play with these characters.

Fhanados likes this.
  3. Fhanados
    Terradon

Awesome! I've been catching up on your own stuff and you've got some pretty interesting concepts going on. I particularly like "The Slaves Name" where the Slann tries to blink the rat-o-saurus out of existence but it doesn't work. Also the multiple summons of Tehenhauin in "The Rat and The Serpent". Lots of cool stuff to brew in the old noggin for my emergence into the Mortal Realms!

Bowser likes this.
  4. thedarkfourth
    Kroxigor

thedarkfourth Well-Known Member

I don't want to give any concrete plot ideas, since I have enough faith that you will think of something great, but my advice as ever is to think hard about internal conflict among the lizardmen rather than more epic battle scenes. Psychological conflict is always more interesting than brute physical fighting. We need to see inner growth for characters, not just escaping dangerous situations. :)

Bowser likes this.
  5. Fhanados
    Terradon

Good advice! I think I have an idea brewing for Aki and Biqi "near the end" - I've just got to work out how they're going to get back to Lustria and why they go back without making their journey so far seem like it had no purpose.

Bowser likes this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

:sorry:
    I can't help. My Fluff fits entirely within my signature. See below:

Otzi'mandias and Bowser like this.