1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to warmer climates

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Rikard, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Thought I'd drop a topic here as I am in need of some help.

Loads and loads and loads of things have been going on in my life, last of which was a potential cancer scare (test results came back negative, so no problems).

The island I live on has become too toxic, it probable already was and I've just reached my limit with it, but I'm thinking about moving...moving big time....at the moment I've had a few mates recommend places, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, even Tasmania...but I feel lost to be honest.

I just want to go somewhere where there's a good or at least healthy wargaming/geeky community, variety being the spice of life and all that. In addition to that, people are a big one, I know some amazing people where I currently live, they will never know just how much they've done to help and even if I were able to speak every word of every language, I'd still not have adjectives to explain to them how amazing they are. It would nice to meet people with a whole variety of interests, likes, dislikes and personalities, especially as dating and other social bits and bobs is almost always the same here (local wargaming group excluded of course).

So, thoughts, feels, orange peels?
    Advice is welcome.

It's good to be back.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Well anywhere you move if you're looking for an easy time getting into tabletop you will probably need a somewhat larger city. I know it can be hard to find players in cities of under 100,000 people and if you do sometimes can be hard to break into their circle. I think it might be easiest to check out where the GW stores are on their site at least that gives you an idea of where the larger more successful gaming communities are. You might also want to know what you need to upgrade for your trade when you get to the new country. You may not have to but things could be slightly different, and you may need another year or two of apprenticeship before being a ticketed electrician.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

I'd suggest canada ive never been there but its essentially a friendlier and better america from what I can gather :) sorry america :p - but here in the Uk its hard to source the wealth of resources for gamming and crafting, but being close to America you'd be able to get those things easily. Its also a large country with a lot of great natural features. That's just my initial thoughts anyways not really based on a whole lot of facts but just a feeling.

4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I can offer no help Rikard. Sorry. Everything you're wanting is thin on the ground near me.

5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Hmm sounds like a good idea, I was thinking all forms of table top and miniature related stuff, mainly as I had also been thinking about sculpts from other franchises (skyrim being a big one).

In theory, upgrades shouldn't be a problem, the qualification I have is supposed to be global (hence the sheer volume of paperwork it required).

Yeah, games days in the UK (bearing in mind the last one I went to was a GW games day, not the more friendly Salute and it was way back in 2013) are getting better, but still a long ways off from being more accepting and certainly gender friendly.

That's quite alright, I appreciate the thought and hope things swing the other way. :)

Bowser likes this.