1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS My go at expanding upon the AoS flight mechanics

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Phoedinn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Hello fellow AoS players!

I noticed when playing that there is always confusion around flying units, and if the really count as being up in the air. People would often not know if their 1" weapon could reach. There were already some rules on warscrolls that seamed to indicate some kind of vertical movement but no real way to go about it.

So....I thought I would have a go at writing up some rules for flyers! I would love feedback from the great people here to see if there are any holes, or any points were it seams unclear. I tried to keep areas vauge (in keeping with AoS tradition) to let people make their own choices and eaasly house rule thingd without being restricted.

I hope people like it!

PD

Aos Fan Expansion: Air Azyr

This is a small fan made expansion that adds a new dimension to Age of Sigmar by expanding on the rules for flying units. The rules change the “Flying Phase” allowing units with the “Fly” special rule to move in the vertical plane.

Flying phase

If the warscroll for a model says that the model can fly, it can pass over models and terrain as if they weren’t there. They may also move vertically as well as horizontally as detailed below. At a height of zero the model is considered 2” off the ground, the model my not go below this unless indicated by its warscroll.

For the purpose of calculating height the table top is considered as the ground at 0”, as well as any terrain features such as hills. Each model flies at a minimum of 2”, unless indicated otherwise by it’s warscroll, and a maximum of 8”. Place a D6 next to the model to show its height in inches when more than 2” off the ground.

How to calculate flight movement:

First move horizontally as far as you wish, up to or below the models movement characteristic on it’ swarscroll. Then move vertically, up or down, not exceeding the remaining inches of movement indicated by the models movement characteristic. Place a D6 next to the model to show its height in inches when more than 2” off the ground.

Shooting Phase

If a model is ABOVE the targeted enemy unit use the normal rules for shooting, otherwise the combined vertical and horizontal distance from the target must not exceed the shooting weapon’s range in inches.

2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

P.S. I hope this is in the right place. I couldn't see a general AoS discussion forum. :sorry:

3. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

I actually stumbled on this in my battle today. IF my flyer would be grounded he would not be able to pile in 3" to get into reach. So I talked it over with my opponent revering to the swoop down by the Rippers. And he was ok that my flyer would be floating above his unit to be able to attack.

I think using the Z-axis is really a good thing!
    As for your rule thing.. Flying should go into a straight line. Not going horizontal first and then vertically. You can use your measurement tool to draw a straight line to anywhere. But there might be a need of a standard height being used and 2" seems good for that.

4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

i agree that its very weird moving in the zigzag. the issue I had in my mind was working out the exact height of the flyer afterwords. IF we had proper flying sticks/sliders from fighter plane games that would be avoided entirely :) I also thought it somewhat helped simulate that it would be harder to fly up then just horizontally.

Any ideas on how to do it with the dice without having to use Pythagoras every time you move XD? maybe have a few "layers"? kind of like a couple of invisible table tops above the real one were flyers can have their own little fights. If I add that I might make each layer change cost something like 5 inches

Yeah I liked 2". Lets spears attack a low flying unit :)

5. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Just measure up from the point intended to stay at? round down / up halves? For every half inches you want to adjust up or down, do half inch more horizontal back or forward to get a fixed altitude.

Also now that I think about it.. Might go with 3" normal fly altitude.. Models at 28mm (around an inch) with a 2" weapon should be able to reach 3" where 1" weapons can't as people will want to measure from models in height instead of bases as bigger models (monsters) should be able to reach higher. Might consider measurement there from shoulder up.

6. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Hmm, that would work. Only issue I see it that it would be a bit awkward to duel wield tape measures XD but if you have the starter set sticks that would be easer.

That's a good point! I almost forgot it's from the model now XD. Yeah from the shoulder would work...assuming they have a shoulder of course.

What are your thoughts on the shooting? I made it so it would be harder to shoot up at anything but Im not sure how well it would work.
    Also I considered forcing flyers to land at some point to avoid cheesing by just flying all the way up to avoid all damage if your opponent has no anti-air.

7. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Shooting measurement, same as how the movement got there.
    Using your finger tip as a point in height (after measuring that) can then be used to measure distance too.

I would say don't hamper shooting in anyway. Also let flyers stay up there.. Just as with 40k.. then make sure to get some anti-air. But this might call for a ceiling for the flyers before they move into another battle board "high up in the air" like that one battleplan has. (let me look that one up) So there can't be too much cheese to keep out of range while you can still hit with superior range (30" Knight-Venator comes to mind)

8. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

That would be "Kill the Beast" from Realmgate Wars 1 "Quest for Ghal Maraz", you can use those Sky War rules for stuff between both battle zones (ground and air)

9. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Ah...so there as already rules XD ah well, it was a fun exercise anyway. I can't find the rules online, is it just a second table for flyers only?

10. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

That specific battle plan has 2 sections yes. one 4x4 for ground level and a 2x4 for air.

Here is the rules for the air section:
    In the setup it's mentioned that units that can fly can be setup anywhere on the sky battlefield that is more then 9" from an enemy unit.

But no rules specific for how to treat flying upon the normal battlefield.

11. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Quite interesting! I like that the flyers can crush down on their allied units like when being killed they come down uncontrollably...
    It fits somehow to the rule of the skink host which allows you to have the flyers hiding in the clouds... But somehow it feels weird to imagine a slann palanquin flying that high... :p
    I'm still thinking about how it works with shooting... Flying units should be able to shoot quite easy cause of aiming downwards but how about shooting at them? Maybe something like soft cover for being high above the battlefield... And hard cover when the shooting unit has to aim against the sun? Something like that...

12. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

My Club's house rule is we always measure from the model's base and not from the model itself - a lot of tournaments have gone down the same route. (with the assumption being that you use sensible bases)

I like the thought that's gone into this, the issue I see with your rule set is that flyers are always 2" at least from the ground - this will surely cause lots of issues when you have 1" attacks with your flyers. If you use the slann's command ability, this means that whilst your saurus have a buff protection in the shooting phase, they can no longer attack in close combat (unless they have spears)... Or have I misread you?

Phoedinn likes this.
  13. Phoedinn
    Razordon

That was the idea @Gorgerak yes. It was partly to try and make the swoop ability of some flyers an actual risk. In the current rules most people play it that 1" weapons reach anyway making the down side to that ability meaningless. We also often use bases seeing as GW haven't had the sense to make all flying sticks the same hight for a unit. measuring from the model means that the taller sticks are far better for some flyers. That was the other reason for the set 2" height.

I had thought of this (The Slann's palanquin was also a problem for me). I planned that if this got a few replies to help refine it I would add rules for a "hover" ability that would essentially be the old fly rule for such events. Of course I didn't do it right away as that would mean having to actually change warscrolls.

14. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I suppose another thing to think about is how does your height ruling work with the true line of sight rules for shooting?

I assume it would have to overrule the true line of sight. I'm thinking of the scenario: " I can see your models through this terrain, but if I physically raise the model so it is actually 4" high then this other part of the terrain actually obscures you..." That might cause friction with other players as you are interfering with a stated game mechanic.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm rebuking it, but I am a tester by employment and part of my job revolves around trying to break something that's in development, not just trying what the developer has stated, So apologies if this is coming across overly critical, I do like it :)

Phoedinn likes this.
  15. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Don't worry this is exactly what the rules need! I work in games myself, so I know the great use of people skilled at breaking things :p These are issues I had kind of noticed. It's a bit problem with the fact there are no special flying bases to help actually raise the model. I'm assuming the issue you see is people running up to shoot, only to forget the enemy is high in the air and they can't shoot. Thus they just wasted a turn?

16. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Haha that sounds like me!

17. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

I think this problem can be solved rather simple though.
    If you want to have the advantage of sight blocking then be at the minimal height, otherwise it is implied you are higher then your surroundings, same thing for getting a cover bonus in terrain.

18. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Hmm. That's a good simple fix :) Looks like I will have to be doing some re-writing at some point!

19. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Let me fix that a bit: .. be at ground level till maximum of the minimum height (3") (if that is decided on)

20. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Ah so if you are swooped or for some reason on the ground you get the bonus?