1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lizardmen **pic heavy**

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Sashu, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Sashu
    Skink

Sashu New Member

I thought I would post some of my pictures of my lizardmen. They are still works in progress, but you can see some of the different things Ive done to some of the units.

Here is my Slann. The whole unit is on a foam temple. Each model is removable.
    Picture083.jpg
    Picture084.jpg
    Picture085.jpg
    Picture086.jpg
    Picture087.jpg

A couple of pictures of a Saurus unit with a big unit filler in the back corner of it.

Picture088.jpg
    Picture089.jpg
    Picture090.jpg
    Picture102.jpg
    Picture103.jpg

Here is another Saurus that has had alot more progress on it. I'm rather proud of the statue in the back rank.

Picture093.jpg
    Picture097.jpg
    Picture098.jpg
    Picture099.jpg
    Picture100.jpg

And here are my skinks

Picture104.jpg
    Picture108.jpg
    Picture109.jpg
    Picture111.jpg
    Picture120.jpg
    Picture122.jpg

Here are my Saurus Cav. They were converted using the DE cold one riders.

Picture112.jpg
    Picture113.jpg
    Picture114.jpg

Lastly the entire army is magnetized. It lets you do some pretty cool tricks.

Picture117.jpg
    Picture118.jpg
    Picture119.jpg

2. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

I'm digging it! Where are those shields from? Love the special touch they add.

3. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

very nice and detailed pics! i love that obelisk wish i had that.

With your converted cold one riders, with assembling the steeds that the saurus are riding (forget name) do you have to glue them right down the middle just like cold ones?

4. Sashu
    Skink

Sashu New Member

The local fabric store. They are buttons.

The cold one riders are basically the dark elf cold ones trimmed down the the lizardmen cold one riders, and their saddles glue on top. They were located a little further back than I would have liked but it got rid of the gap.

The obelisk was made using Pink Foam so if you want one, just go out and make it. If your interested I can post a video showing how.

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Not bad! I like some of the stuff you've got going on here.

6. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

Great ideas! The buttons look pretty convincing when painted.

Hope you have more pics on the way.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow those are some really cool models, I really like the colour scheme on the skinks. And I will be keen to see the Temple Guard unit done, that is a great idea to add flavour to the unit, it will be a pretty spectacular army when you are finished.

8. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

My completments as well! I've been hoping to see a unit of cold ones from the dark elf list converted. Very well done! Thanks for sharing.

One question if I may, in regards to the cold ones. Do the rider models 'saddle up' nicely to the DE cold ones, or was there converting that needed to take place (IE make the sarus riders wider or narrower)?

Thanks in advance, and very nice painting, once again!

9. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

I'd like to know this too... Cause if I'm correct the DE cold ones are a bit smaller than the 'real' lizardmen ones, right?

Awesome models, awesome painting, awesome that you use the same kind of scalpel as me, awesome terrain, awesome everything... Even more awesome since we're doing the same thing with skink skirmishers. o_O

Keep the good stuff up!

Cheers!

10. Sashu
    Skink

Sashu New Member

In response to the question about the Dark Elf cold ones being thinner, they are thinner. My solution was to cut off the old saddle making just a smooth area in the back. I then mounted the lizardmen saddle over the hind legs of the cold ones where the cold ones were at their thickest. This was not perfect as it left a significant portion of the original cold one saddle in the front; however this area is covered up quite well by the Saurus as well as where their arms end up being located.

Once I get them painted up I'll try to post a few more photos, right now my camera will not pick up the changes as they are black.

11. Lycanthrope
    Saurus

Lycanthrope New Member

Awesome converted cav you got there! I laud your efforts!

12. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

heh, guess I'm not the only one to think of the 'skinks coming out of the water' look

was pondering a diorama of them ambushing something, rising out of the water with a flurry of flying javelins landing in some poor marauders

13. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

How are you magnetizing your army? Magnets on the bases and a metal sheet for the movement tray or vice versa? I have my bases all magnetized, but I'm running into an issue. I figured the magnetic sheets would be great for movement trays since you can easily cut them to the size you want. I'm discovering that there is *significantly* less magnetic hold to those sheets than any actual metal. So much so that I wont be using them at all.

Are you using metal in the movement trays? If so, details please! Really need to get these trays finished and not sure what precisely to be using.

14. Sashu
    Skink

Sashu New Member

For magnetizing, what I do is pretty simple. I take a rare earth magnet and glue it to the bottom of the models base. Then for the movement tray I use Tin. This is picked up at my local hobby shop. I use the thinnest stuff they have available, test it with your magnets first. It is not to bad to work with, you simply score it about 30 times, then you bend it back and forth and you are able to get a nice clean cut.

15. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

Ah ha! That's exactly what I was looking for. I already have rare earth magnets on all my models. Thanks!

16. johno
    Skink

johno New Member

Brilliant stuff, i love the DE Cold ones because they just look so scary, lol, but my friend who collects DE said you have no chance of converting the DE cold ones into Lizardmen cold ones because of the saddles and you just proved him completely wrong!! cant wait to show him!! also i love all the shields and mixture of heads in the saurus unit.

thankyou for a good inspiration!!

17. mcasefire
    Cold One

mcasefire Member

What color is that you used on your coldones?