1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by soderstrom69, Nov 18, 2008.

1. soderstrom69
    Jungle Swarm

soderstrom69 New Member

Hi. I think im gonna start painting Lizardmen and ive decided a color scheme.

I think ill use yellow for most skin, on the Skinks, Saurus and Kroxigor. For the Skink scales ill use purple, a darker purple for the Saurus and black Kroxigor scales. I like the blue color scheme but wanted to create my own and i think this will look pretty cool...

Anyway, i need some help and advise on what colors to use (like more specified than just "yellow"), methods, should i use black or white spray and so on...

Tell me what you think, ill most likely upload pics but as it is now i dont have paints, brushes or models to paint, so it will be after christmas.

2. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

I', not big on painting and cant give you your best adwises, but I bought the "How to paint miniatures" bokk the other day and there you'll find lots of tips and tricks.
    Highly Recomended!

3. soderstrom69
    Jungle Swarm

soderstrom69 New Member

Okey, but im kinda tight on the money and was hoping for help that doesnt cost anything.
    Well, thanks anyway :)

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Here's what I would do if I were you:
    1) base coat all models black
    2) drybrush a yellow foundation color, such as Ivanden Darksun, where you want the models to be yellow
    3) drybrush a blue or dark purple foundation color, such as Mordian Blue, where you want the models to be purple. Use either Chaos Black or Undercoat Black for your Kroxigors.
    4) highlight the yellow bits with Bleached Bone, or a lightened yellow. highlight the purple bits with Warlock Purple, or Tentacle Pink. Black is tricky to highlight, but it can be done with very small amounts of Codex Gray.
    5) add all other details
    6) apply a watered down black or brown ink wash.

A quick tip on painting metals:
    - base coat gold or copper colored metals with brown, or use a brown ink wash overtop
    - use a regular black undercoat when painting steel or silver.

5. soderstrom69
    Jungle Swarm

soderstrom69 New Member

Okey thanks, really appreaciate all help i can get
    Only one thing thats kinda unclear, where shall i apply the black or brown ink wash?

6. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I had alot of trouble finding a color scheme myself so I painted about 6 Saurus diffrent colors (even a black and white one) until I found one that worked. I settled on turquoise scales and brown skin.

7. soderstrom69
    Jungle Swarm

soderstrom69 New Member

hehe, it can be a hard, but at first i were gonna use GW´s blue scheme. But when i sat down and thought about it, i wanted my own scheme and just came up with it. :D

8. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Here is a nifty program that I used to come up with my color scheme. It will help you a great deal, I imagine. Unfortunately, it is flawed in that it contains only a selection of colors, and there is only a Saurus warrior template, and no Skink or anything like that. Hope it helps anyways!

9. soderstrom69
    Jungle Swarm

soderstrom69 New Member

Well, i already have my color scheme done...
    But i need to come up with a color for the shields as i dont think the green(skinks) or red(saurus) will look good on a yellow model with purple scales, nor do i want a purple shield. All suggestions are welcome and i will think seriously about it if you have a good idea :)

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Brown, maybe? I dunno, the painting program will come in handy here I think.

11. stu
    Skink

stu New Member

i'd agree brown would look good. A dark grey may look good too.

12. spenser48
    Jungle Swarm

spenser48 New Member

Try something like codex grey with progresive highlights seems to work well.