1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Neu, New, Noob... Seraphon are shiny

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Wilhelm Stürmer, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

Thanks to my title, you might guess that I am a new AoS player and that I picked Seraphon cause "Ooo, dinosaurs!". Those would be correct assumptions. My coworker (Gwendar on tga.community) got me into the game and has graciously allowed me to play three games with one of his armies. I really enjoy the tactics and gameplay and Seraphon caught my interest. After several weeks, I finally purchased a Seraphon Start Collecting box. Gwendar recommended I give y'all plenty of info, so here goes.

I want to play casual to semi-competitively. I'm looking at getting a decent 1k army and working my way into a 2k army. As I'm brand new, I don't have models or units for summoning, so while that mechanic fascinates me, it will have to wait, more than likely. I prefer the idea of larger one model unit armies to horde armies, but eventually may want to try that as well. With that in mind, here's what Gwendar suggested as potential startup armies in both 1k & 2k varieties. I'm open to not only suggestions on modifying these lists (or completely reworking), but also on general advice and pointers, as well.

1,000 Points:

Leaders
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - Warblade
    Slann Starmaster (260)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances

Units
    1 x Salamanders (40)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)

Total: 1000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 20
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 50
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2,000 Points

Leaders
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - Warblade
    Slann Starmaster (260)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (90)
    - Lances

Units
    1 x Salamanders (40)
    3 x Kroxigor (160)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Troglodon (160)

Battalions
    Firelance Starhost (150)
    Thunderquake Starhost (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 2
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 95

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

There’s a thread titled something like “Getting the Most From The Start Collecting Sersphon Box”

If you’ve not read that one you ought to.

3. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

@pendrake Thanks for the input. I have ready through the initial post in that thread and I'm not ready to get into green-stuff as I'm brand new and have next to no artistic abilities. That said, it is a good post from what little I know. =D

4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to the Hobby!.

I recommend looking into the Thunderquake Starhost. You get to run a few stampy-stompy dinos and don't have to play hordes. Sadly,the stuff for Thunderquake is a bit lack luster at 1k.

The standard first buys for most Seraphon armies will be a Slann Starmaster, Saurus Astrolith Bearer, and Razordons/Salamanders. You will almost always use these models in any Seraphon list. I am also a huge advocate for the Skink Starpriest, I cannot say enough good things about their unique spell: Summon Starlight.

Sadly Saurus Knights are sorta bad right now. They can work okay in a Tail of Dracothion Battalion, but otherwise they are one of our amry's less viable units.

I hope this was helpful!

5. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

For the battalion you want to use, there is an excellent thread giving good advice on each battalion. You want to look at it. It's really helpful.

Wilhelm Stürmer likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Not really any greenstuff work in the thread just the Troglodon (just leave that until you feel more confident) but you can create the rest simply with everything from the SC box, Astrolith bearer is the hardest but all it is is cutting and glue.

pendrake and Wilhelm Stürmer like this.
  7. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Just the one model? Hmm, I'll look into it in more depth then. Thanks!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. TheCrux
    Saurus

TheCrux Member

Can I ask how you get the most out of the summon starlight? I've been playing for a while, but have never really focused on that spell in particular.

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yep, the rest is simple cut and glue, I tried to make it beginner friendly as much as possible. ;)

10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The environment I play in is very tournament minded. I am either playing in tournaments or practicing/helping my clubmates refine their list for tournaments.

Summon Starlight does two very helpful things. It can either make your tarpit last longer or it can break an enemy's synergy. At this point in the meta that I play in there are a lot of exploding 6's to hit. The only armies who aren't neutered by Summon Starlight and who still rely on 6's to hit are Stormcast Eternals and Nighthaunt. This is because their rules were changed with this Second Ed Battletomes to say unmodified 6's.

Some of the prime targets for Summon Starlight are as follows:
    • Friendly tarpit
    • Putrid Blightkings
    • Pusgoyle Blightlords
    • Bloodletters
    • Anything that has been buffed by Blades of Putrifaction
    • Alkelian Leviadon's Jaws of death
    • Pretty much any destruction units (they already have bad hit. Spider Riders in particular become worthless)
    • Most enemy ranged units
    • Units who are under reroll to hit (if the hit would have been a success before modifiers they don't get to reroll it)
    These are not by any means all the viable targets for Summon Starlight, but these are the ones I encounter on a very regular basis.

Crowsfoot and TheCrux like this.
  12. TheCrux
    Saurus

TheCrux Member

Great. Thanks for the detailed reply.

13. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

While I'm reading through the the other threads, is there any specific input regarding the lists I provided above and additionally, the following list?

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Slann Starmaster(260)
    -General
    -Trait: Great Rememberer
    -Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur(240)
    -War Spear
    -Artefact: Blade of Realities
    Engine of the Gods(220)
    -Artefact: Coronal Shield
    5 x Saurus Knights(90)
    -Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights(90)
    -Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights(90)
    -Lances
    3 x Kroxigor(160)
    -1x Moonhammers
    Bastiladon(280)
    Stegadon(220)
    Firelance Starhost(150)
    Thunderquake Starhost(120)
    Dracothion's Tail(80)

Total:2000 / 2000

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Rather than give you suggestions about the 1k and 2k lists you have posted, I'm going to suggest the purchase asap of a second SC box.
    This not only will let you increase the number of your models at a relatively cheap price, but (especially if you're not into green stuff to build the trog from bits), will let you. have the models to actually run the firelance starhost AND have both complete models of saurus on Carno and Troglodon.

This will be good for the powerful summoning mechanics, letting you play also with it as the troglodon is great from this pov: that dino not only is a sufficiently cheap model to field (as 18 summoning points can easily be obtained at the end of your 2nd hero phase), but its abilities are great to throw it into the fray as soon as it has been summoned (put it near an astrolith bearer and the shooting attack will have good chances to wound; at that point a 6" charge will not be a great problem, letting you have another big dino in melee at turn 2).

Hope it helps. ;)

15. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I reccomend trying the Battalions one at a time before looking into the Supper Battalions. Even if you want to run Dracothion's Tail try running it is a single drop Firelance only battalion initially.

Also, you should check out the Sword of Judgement from the Artifacts of the Realms: Realm of Ulgu. It turns one weapons 6+ to hit into D6 mortal wounds. On your Scar Veterans Warspear it is frightening.

I hope this is helpful.