1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Neveroddoreven's New Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by neveroddoreven, Sep 21, 2013.

1. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

My old thread has become a bit crowded and feels a little outdated, so I thought I'd make a new one focusing on the new releases.
    I'm so slow - I've so far only painted two characters and assembled a Troglodon.

The first is my new favourite Warhammer model - the new Skink Priest. I mixed a bit of medium into every single colour and was so impressed with the smooth blends and matte finish that I have taken to doing this with all character models since.
    PocoyotlTikTik1.jpg
    I love the mango coloured feathers on the 'Eavy Metal models, but I've never been able to bring myself to copy a paint scheme for some reason. I decided to invert it a bit by making the Skink bright and exotic and the feathers more natural. His name is Pocoyotl Tik'Tik.
    PocoyotlTikTik2.jpg
    I don't like the model's staff though, which is great because it means I get to convert it each time (yes I already bought two). This one's staff top is made from a Savage Orc weapon. These pictures don't show it, but there is a square hole that goes all the way through, breaking the straight line of the shaft.

This next one is going to get some really divided opinions I think. A bold idea and even bolder paintjob teetering on the thin line between cleverness and madness;
    Tzu-Karr1.jpg
    Yeah, I'm talking about that headdress (courtesy of Karl Franz). For the record, I like it but it makes me feel guilty somehow.
    His name is Tzu-Karr. He is my Battle Standard Bearer of course.
    Tzu-Karr2.jpg
    I have no ambivalent feelings on the Saurus himself. I love the way those scales turned out. The idea is that the skin between is more reflective than the scales themselves, so I exaggerated the highlighting there.
    Tzu-Karr3.jpg
    That shield is the test scheme for my Troglodon and is based on the Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park (my all time favourite dinosaur).
    Stay tuned for impending Terradons! (Or the Troglodon if I can summon up the fortitude).

2. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

those models look amazing. wish i was that good of a painter! :D

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

oh man, stoked you're back. Those are amazing. Love the headdress, totally rad.

What's that terrain you've got there?

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Your paint jobs are amazing, that saurus actually looks real skin tone wise! The blending is smooth and highlights are great on both models.

I have to admit, I am not a massive fan of the head dress, but I can see why others would like it, but with birds that big in Lustria its a miracle lizardmen haven't yet invented umbrellas......

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Wow! Awesome paint job on these two models. The colors on them are great and your skill is superb! Can't wait to see more.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Great stuff! Lovely painting and lovely terrain.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

I imagine those big feathers come from a Coatl perhaps..

Kind words as always folks, I love posting here!
    Nice to see some feedback on the terrain, I was thinking about making a new thread just to showcase it. Maybe make a tutorial too?
    I'll get more pictures just as soon as I paint some more. I Currently cannot afford spraypaint until payday and am stuck in hobby limbo.

Sudaj likes this.
  8. Sealterbloind
    Cold One

Sealterbloind Active Member

Oh my gosh, I love that Skink Priest! I like your whole army (btw), I wish I could paint even half as good as you :) ! Just lovely, I can't wait to see what you can do with that Troglodon! I love the model so I'm super excited ! :)

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wow :jawdrop:
    Awesome conversions Nevermore. :smug:

Sudaj likes this.
  10. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Both models are fantastic (literally and figurativeyly)! Which model did you use for the Saurus? Is it an older metal sculpt? I'm not sure if I've seen that one before.

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Beautiful, simply beautiful. You are an artist! How on earth did you paint the weapon on your Saurus? I have to soon start painting the howdah for my Stegadon, and I've been searching for nice ways to paint stone. Yours look stunning, though I doubt I could achieve the same end result. Anyway, love your stuff, hopefully you can keep them coming!

12. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

The Saurus is the new one from the Carnosaur/Troglodon kit.

I can tell you exactly how I painted that weapon. I write down my method in my sketchbook as I paint nowadays. I'll look it up now because I already forgot -

Basecoat - Equal parts Doombull Brown + Abaddon Black
    This was lightened up in 3 stages to 1 part basecoat to 3 parts Ushabti Bone.
    It was then drybrushed with Terminatus stone then again with White.
    Then it was given a thin glaze of equal parts Naggaroth Night + Rhinox Hide.
    Finally I added the freehand chips and cracks with equal parts Rhinox Hide + Abaddon Black, highlighted with white.

There's a lot of purple in that model, in washes and glazes. It helps the browns look richer.

13. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

The campaign I'm now playing is set in the Southlands. It features five armies between two players, each one has an objective to complete. My Lizardmen need to reunite four tribes (based on the four elements) by winning a game with their chief.

Here is the chief of the Sky-Feather Tribe;
    Sky1.jpg
    I'll be honest, I was a little lost on the skink. Fresh out of ideas for colour schemes. The design studio say the Ripperdactyls were inspired by Piranhas, and the Red-belly Piranha is where I took my colour cues from. I also gave it the Terradon's tail to give it that stumpy aggressive profile.
    Sky2.jpg
    The feathers were an extension of the mango-coloured 'Eavy Metal ones. While out shopping I looked at exotic fruits, and I liked the pink/green dynamic of dragonfruit.

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You never cease to amaze me neveroddoreven. :jawdrop: .... :smug:

Sudaj likes this.
  15. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

So i finally finish my Ripperdactyls, and then they're just comparably butt ugly...

Love yours, bit annoyed i didn't do a stump tail now, though i actually like them with the longer one...

Love yours!

I'd love to do that kinda effect on my wings, i just don't know how to :)

16. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

I would also like to know how you did the wings if you wouldn't mind sharing

17. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Yeah, certainly.
    The base colour is a mix I've come to rely on so often that I filled an old pot up with it and called it 'Kroxigor Green'. It's an equal parts mix of Dryad Bark and Castellan Green. This was faded into Bestigor Flesh. I did this by mixing it with the base colour and applying it in thin coats with Lahmian Medium. I use soft watercolour brushes to help with the blending.
    The spots were done in the same method, just going backwards, light to dark. I use the spots to help cover up any hard edges where the blend wasn't perfect. Those wings are a large flat area and a flawless blend is near impossible for me, so a little creative cheating dosen't hurt.
    The red edges are simply two coats of Bloodletter glaze.

It's not one of the newer models, but here is the Chief of the Fire Feather Tribe. I finished him at the start of the year, being mostly made of Finecast, he's wilted downward over the summer. I'm still brewing up the courage to try and take a hairdryer to it and fix it.
    Fire1.jpg
    He started out as an experiment on painting whites. The skin, scales, feathers and marble helmet are all different methods of white. His feathered friend was originally made for a Saurus project. We houserule it as a Horned One.
    I quite like the angelic look of the Skink. A fusion of Finecast, plastic and metal, he really is the holy trinity of my army.

18. PizzaSaurus
    Jungle Swarm

PizzaSaurus New Member

Whoa these are all beautifull painted and converted minis. I love that feathered cold one, its an excellent idea that cant have been all that easy to execute. Though you do seem to have a way with feathers... :)

19. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Oh, I just realized I never thanked you for sharing your recipe for the stone! So sorry ! :oops:

That feathered dinosaur is sure looking great. Would it be possible to get some close-ups of the skink? He looks great, but I think a lot of subtle differences go unnoticed from this far.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, it's always such a pleasure to see your works!

20. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

That's fantastic, I really wanted to be known as the 'Feather Guy'! When I first started I did a little research by buying a kid's book on the Aztecs, for the picture reference. It goes on to say they valued feathers more than gold or something like that, and it sort of stuck. Ever since I've been questing to find the best looking feather designs, which explains the lack of a uniform feather colour in the army.

A close up pic, as requested. Here you can see the freehand scale texture -

Fire2.jpg

- Which I first tested on this guy, Skink Chief Hua'baum Baum'alok A'huai (thats a funny reference to something that I bet no-one will get). He was also a test model for my green Southlands Lizardmen, I'll post pics of them sometime in the future.

GatorSkink.jpg