1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dark Elf Cold Ones

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by TheAncientOne, Aug 4, 2009.

?

What do you think about the new dark elf cold ones?

1. I love them!

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. They're okay.

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Meh.

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Could've done better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. They stink!!!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Stop me if this has been done before, but I think the fact that the new dark elves got new cold ones, yet the lizardmen didn't get them as well, stinks. I mean, I love the dark elf cold ones, but I'm REALLY not free enough with my money to buy a set of the dark elf ones, AND lizardmen ones, just so I can get the awesome-looking mounts.(I mean, I could try Ebay, but I hate ordering things online)
    Anyways, that's my (Very short) rant, and, I'm sorry if this has been done before, but, like i've said before;

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I think nearly everyone can agree that the dark elf cold ones look very very cool now. They suit the DE army as a fast and deadly strike force though, that is what they need to look like for DE even though they still suffer from stupidity. Our cold ones are like a different breed in that they are probably a bit dumber, a bit more docile and need to be really strong to support the weight of a saurus who is probably well over 100kg especially with equipment!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I like the LM cold ones, I think they look fat and quite rediculous, but DE ones probably don't suit the LM feel quite as well even though some people have pulled the conversion off really well. GW tend to put more of a priority on updating metal kits to plastic especially for units rather than updating already multi-part and perfectly functioning plastic boxes, while most may not like the look of them they are functioning and far cheaper than metal models would be. I'm glad we get a new steg and new TG rather than new cold ones.

3. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

I definatly agree, about the DE ones look cooler and our ones look fat (not to mention that they suffer from the "baby model syndrome" as described in the DE release WD. Basically, it said DON'T do anything that is on our cold ones ie: Big claws and teeth make them look ALOT younger [not to mention phenomenally stupid, and i don't mean dopey looking, i mean like a 3 year old modeled them]and when they have these big teeth and claws, they look crap like our "new" ones.)

I do think ours are slightly salvageable (clipping/filing/sclicing away at the claws and teeth, not to mention making the claws more aligned ie: NOT noticably a 3 "prong" hand, instead just 3 claws side by side... effectivly a new model... again.) But to salvage them would take forever, and i think it'd be easyer just cutting off the legs, arms and cutting the teeth out (only if your good with GS) and sculpting your own. I mean christ, they could atleast have been sculpted by the same guy.

Sorry for the long rant, i just needed to get out how phenomenally crappy the new models are, still, i'd rather new Kroxigors, terradons, steg and TG.

4. Benster
    Jungle Swarm

Benster New Member

Personally, I think the lizard men cold ones are the worst model in the GW model range. I'm converting my CoR because I just can't stand the look of them.

5. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Just for clarification, I'm by no means saying we got gypped w/ the new lizards, i mean, TG, Some heroes, more special characters, stegadon(i already have 1, am thinking of getting 1 more!!!!Awesome model!!)... All in all we got a pretty good update, and i agree with strewart, but i still think we could've got better cold ones.

6. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

I agree. The old LM cold ones completely suck and resemble a bird more than an actual dinosaur. I have the old ones painted (the ones that look like godzilla) but have thought about going with the new DE cold ones and doing some converting since I absolutely love the new cold one models. Agree with everyone else about getting the models like kroxigors, stegs, etc. I'd rather have a lot of these than just new cold ones... guess we'll see what happens...

Iggy Koopa