1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New Lizardman army book and info

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Rikard, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Why
    Skink

Why New Member

No one is going to be able to convince me that a bastiladon isn't vastly outclassed by other choices.
    Ark of sotek, just get more swarms to begin with! Why have your poisoned attack providers be reliant on a squishy monster when you could just get more swarms in the first place? Unless the ark gives like d3 bases a turn to each swarm within 12 inches, I don't see the point of getting one for the sole purpose of buffing swarms.

The solar crystal version is outclassed by skink priests or more gear for your slann. Or to find the points for an engine of the gods.

He is free points for your opponent, so it's a good thing he is cheap.

Doesn't he only have 4 wounds?

It should be noted my book still hasn't arrived so I'm basing my opinions of second hand information.

2. LogicalUnit
    Skink

LogicalUnit New Member

Yep, Bastiladons only have 4 wounds, but they do get an armour save of 2+ and a S10 attack. Solar Engine has random effects and so may be unreliable. They cost 150 points for either variant. Kind of a lot, IMHO.

3. Storburken
    Skink

Storburken New Member

atleast its not as terrible as a troglolol :smug:

200 pts for a shooting attack with bs 3 and range 18? first turn it probably wont even reach anything essential and other turns it will be shooting at long range. so IF you are lucky you might see 2 hits per game. IF you are lucky to not have it in combat...
    3 ws3 attacks? Hey Giants suddenly seem OP!
    And wow PF on 5+ for a whole turn!? here take my points!

Somehow im thankfull though. dont need to buy the most expensive box ever made :D :D

4. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Can someone with the book clarify what the Arc of Soteks shooting attack is like? Heard a lot of differing versions from rumours....

5. LogicalUnit
    Skink

LogicalUnit New Member

From page 49:

The Ark of Sotek can be activated in any friendly Shooting phase, even if the Bastiladon has marched, charged or is engaged in close combat. When activated, all enemy unit within D6" immediately take 2D6 Strength 2 hits, distributed as for shooting.

It doesn't even seem to be poisoned. . .

6. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

Why would it be poisoned? Poison is on a hit, these auto hit so it would never come up anyway

7. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Thanks Logic,

So, on your own turn, a Arc of Sotek Basitladon does:

2D6 S2 hits to every unit within D6"
    2 S4 attacks
    1 S10 attack
    4 S2 skink attacks Im guessing?
    D6 S4 Thunderstomps

In the opponents turn it's the same minus the 2d6 S2

Starting to think of him a bit more like I would a chariot than a monster. But with better on-going combat performance.

EDIT: Also, can we confirm how the swarm-generator works? Is it only up to starting wounds max? If you can take a unit above it's starting value you could get away with a couple of small units, whereas only being able to "heal" with it would probably mean you'd need at least 3+ bases to survive long enough to reap any real benefit.

8. Andrinor
    Saurus

Andrinor Member

Honestly, this doesn't seem terrible for 150 points. If the skinks do get to attack, which I'm guessing they will (my book is expected to arrive on Monday). Clearly it isn't going to win many fights on it's own but it could hold up a lot with that 2+ save and be a nice addition to run in with saurus blocks.

I'm kinda interested in the possibility of running the Bastiladon with the Ark with a 3x base swarm or two along side him. It may not be a super efficient setup but I think it'll be good against monsters and other high toughness foes. I just don't see why GW didn't replace those fugly swarm models if they were trying to make them viable with the Ark.

9. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

One thing I have against the Basti with the Ark of Sotek. I really don't want to have to try and paint all those snakes. :oops:

10. newlmplayer
    Skink

newlmplayer New Member

After looking at the new book, I noticed that the EOTG reduces casting value by 1 for any of the 8 lores in the BRB, but doesn't say anything about high magic, do you think this was intentional since you can be loremaster of high magic? I really do hope this is unintentional and they will FAQ high magic into it.

11. Andrinor
    Saurus

Andrinor Member

Lol. That seems pretty dumb. I hope unintentional. Isn't the engine supposed to be a device created and left by the Old Ones? And the Lore of High Magic is a special Lore taught to the Slann and Elves by the Old Ones?

It seems that either the Old Ones had a major oversight or the authors and playtesters of the LM army book did.

12. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Well, it was the Skinks that used the Engine of the Gods to kill off the Skaven. Maybe it wasn't designed by the Old Ones to be used by the Slann or Elves...

13. beardedgecko
    Saurus

beardedgecko New Member

can tenehuin still get an EOTG? are all of the other special characters in the book? what about chakax and oxyotl?

14. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

Tenehuin can still get an engine of the gods, but I really don't think it is a good choice in this edition.

All of the special characters from the last edition are still in the book.

15. Malebranche
    Saurus

Malebranche Member

Is Chakax cheaper or better?

16. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

I heard yesterday that the Bastilladon only has T5 and 4 wounds... I thought that thing was supposed to be fortress.. (what whit having bastille in its name)?

17. Chunk
    Saurus

Chunk Member

It also has a 2+ armour save and is 65pts cheaper than a stegadon.

18. Morewar
    Skink

Morewar New Member

But a stegadon can now conceivably kill a daemon prince with impact hits :bored:

19. Chunk
    Saurus

Chunk Member

Damn straight it can! But that's what I like about the whole thing: the stegadon and the bastiladon have 2 separate and distinct roles, as opposed to the bastiladon (being the new kit and all) just being better in every way, thus making us all want to replace the stegadons we all already have.

The stegadon is the chariot-esque combat monster that we use to kill everything from hordes to daemon princes to ogres.

The bastiladon is the sturdy, durable offensive linesman, anchoring our lines, blocking our flanks, and buffing the units around it, and occasionally zapping things with solar beams.

Which is why, in my 2250pt list, I have 2 of each in my list.

20. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

One thing that I noticed while looking at the magic items in BRB, looking for good combinations for our own, I noticed a cheap 5 point talisman, that gives a 5+ ward against models with the fly rule.Then there's 35 point enchanted item that makes all flying creatures re-roll hit's on the unit. Do you think these items will be used if rippers are used?