1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New Player - First 2000pt game

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by OilBeefHooked, Mar 18, 2019.

1. OilBeefHooked
    Jungle Swarm

OilBeefHooked New Member

Hey guys, not long got into the hobby but I have my first proper game coming up this Friday, and I was wondering what people thought of my list. I've got limited models at the moment, so I've come up with the following:

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - Greatblade
    - Artefact: Blade of Realities
    Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Guard (180)
    10 x Saurus Guard (180)
    5 x Saurus Guard (90)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (280)
    Troglodon (160)

Battalions
    Eternal Starhost (150)

Total: 1980 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 85

I also have 20 skinks, 20 saurus warriors and 15 knights for summoning fodder.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'll likely be against either Ironjaws or SCE, if that changes anything.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!

You list looks good.

You will want to ask your opponent what units they have that are a capable of dealing mortal wounds. Then prioritize shooting those units with your Bastiladon. This is because Saurus Guard are great at dealing with regular damage, but mortal wounds will chew through them quickly. Skinks should be your priority summon with your EotGs.

Vs Ironjaws you will want to deploy far back and give your opponent first turn if possible. If the roll off goes in your favor you will get two turns worth of shooting to reduce their big threats.

Vs SCE you might have a hard time depending on your opponents list. SCE have the potential to deal a significant amount of mortal wounds from a variety of sources. If they bring dracoths try to tie them up with your Bastiladon, as it has the best chance of weathering their attacks for a few turns. And you can always resummon it after it dies.

3. OilBeefHooked
    Jungle Swarm

OilBeefHooked New Member

Hi LizardWizard,
    Thanks for the advice, I was worried about MW output, as I've played a few kitchen table games against DoK, and I can handle Witch Aelves but did notice I got destroyed by their MW.
    I'll definitely use the bastiladon to try and thin out units that can deal MW, as you suggested. I'm also thinking I'd use the Carnosaur for similar purposes if they get close enough, would this be a good use or would I be better directing it elsewhere?
    Thanks again for the advice, I'm relatively new to the game but want to get better as I'm loving the Seraphon, but feel I need to learn how best to use them.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

In most games I hang back with my Carno for a turn or two.

You really want a Carnosaur to be at full profile when they fight so you need to pick targets carefully. If the enemy puts something in range that you can kill and not suffer from retaliation then take it, but otherwise wait until the desired target is available and then engage.

Be aggressive with your Troglodon. It is great at killing small elite units like Liberators and Judicators.

5. OilBeefHooked
    Jungle Swarm

OilBeefHooked New Member

Excellent, I'll bare that in mind, thanks a lot!
    My one other concern you may be able to help with is the relatively low model count, as my guard can capture points but some will be guarding the Slann I imagine. Do you think summoning in skinks and saurus warriors will be sufficient for point control, or should I look into making some space for another big unit to start the game with?

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Well, I tend to play a bit aggressive with Eternal Starhost. I don't normally castle up in a corner. Instead I march my Slann, Starpriest, and Eternity warden up the field with the main body of my Saurus Guard and leave small units of Guard and summoned skinks behind on objectives. I also only tend to run Eternal Starhost at 1k.

There is a link to list I frequently play in my signature. On that thread there is a post about how I run Eternal Starhost. There will certainly be some differences when the game is expanded to 2k. For example, you are able to buff one of your Gaurd units to a much higher threshold at 2k. The ScV;s Commad ability,. Serpent Staff, Summon Starlight, Battalion buff, Eternity Warden's Aura, and the Slann's Command ability will make a unit of 10 Saurus Gaurd a flying nightmare for your enemy. Those extra attacks on 6's from the ScV can really add up quickly. Particularly with their bites when empowered by the Serpent Staff.

Seraphon play best when they play aggressive. This doesn't mean being fully engaged all the time though. Pick your fights smartly and be the one setting the pace. If you can dictate the tempo you will likely win the objective game even if your army is tabled. Normally winning 3 out of 5 rounds will give you the match.

7. OilBeefHooked
    Jungle Swarm

OilBeefHooked New Member

That's excellent advise, I sort of assumed we played quite passively and used the allegiance ability to snipe objectives, so I stand corrected. I'll try and play with a more aggressive playstyle, albeit controlled aggression.
    One question concerning rulings, the battalion grants D3 damage if we don't move in the movement or charge phase, however, if we teleport them with LoST, will they still get this buff? I imagine so as they only moved in the hero phase, but thought I best check.

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep, movement refers to "normal movement" which LoSaT isn't.

9. OilBeefHooked
    Jungle Swarm

OilBeefHooked New Member

Cheers, that helps a lot. Hopefully the game should go fairly well, thanks for clearing that up for me, and for your input!

LizardWizard likes this.