1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial NEW PLAYER HERE 1000pts

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Usakumo, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Usakumo
    Jungle Swarm

Usakumo New Member

I everyone, so I just bought two Starter box.
    The minis I have are :
    -A Troglodon

-An Oldblood , an Oldblood on Cold-One, an Oldblood on Carnosaur (which can all be considerated scarveteran or sunblood by what I read elsewhere)

-2 Saurus Wariors (10 with clubs, 10 with Lances)

-3 Saurus Knights(15 with lances)

and I think i'll try with the rest I have to homemade a Slann or a Kroak lord.

What are you gess on what should I build with thoose minis ?
    Are there any "batallion" that are particulary usefull ?

Thanks for all your answers.

P.S. : My goal here is to spend the less possible in the game. Also my opponents are skeletons lover, a knight user (I guess it was english knights) and one with future yellow armored soldier ? Everyone at the table is making fun on his figs.

Captaniser and n810 like this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looks like you are off to a good start with your collection...

Ps. your oponents..
    Those would be the Stormcast Eternal.
    (gold colored knight guys)

one might be Bretonia or the Empire...
    (English knights)

The skeletons are all one undead faction now....
    Death Grand Alliance or something like that....

Pps Welcome to Lustria. :D

Captaniser and Usakumo like this.
  3. Usakumo
    Jungle Swarm

Usakumo New Member

Well, thanks you very much sir !!
    This collection only cost me 100€ so it was pretty cheap, also my goal is to proove them that you don't need to put 500 bucks in a game to win. And that winning easily is NOT the best thing.

For example the Stormcast player win 80% of his games, whereas the Bretonnia player almost always loose(spamming knights is maybe not the best way to win).

Is there a way, or a good tactic with the lizardmen ? Like I saw people talking of either :
    -Playing defensively with the oldblood on foot, and pushing thoose lane of saurus warior till they pierce the heaven
    -Playing Offensively with the Oldblood on Cold-one, with a "star host" (I don't know what are thoose) ans spamming knights for "mortal wounds"
    -Or playing dirty with assassin and an Ankylosaurus (Terrastodon ?) with a SPACE LASER, and a priest that can boost him so much that no normal wound can hit him.

Also, are they units within the seraphon army that are not worth buying ? I thought that the Kroxigors wasn't given any love around there ....
    Maybe situationnal units ?

ALSO, before anyone tells me about my grammar/orthograph, I'm not a pro in english speaking/writting so please refrain to do so OR, PM about it because HELP IS ALWAYS WELL ACCEPTED.

Thanks again for your time reading my response.

Captaniser and n810 like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!
    As for your questions: uhh.. a few things are a bit confusing but I think I understand what most of them mean. Ill have some time to give a few answers in a few hours. (Probably some other members here will be faster though)

Usakumo likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Ok, let's get to it:

Well... it depends on the size of the army needed to win. Good luck though!

Ok, I definitely agree with that. Winning at all costs is not fun for many people.

Can't say much about Brettonian Knights except they are an old army, but I guess spamming one unit is VERY unlikely to win for most armies.
    As for Stormcast Eternals (short: SCE):....well... They are a very strong army that has almost no particular weaknesses and lots of options to choose from. They will win against most armies most of the time. Some armies can build specific anti-SCE lists to halfway reliably beat them, but some can't.
    I would say that they are one of the strongest armies in the game, becasue of many reasons. Not too hard to play either. So winning most of the time is what I expect from them.

About tactics in general:
    Seraphon are a versatile army. We can tailor lists against pretty much anyone, but the same lists will very likely lose against other armies then. That being said: There are lists for us that are better than others of course, but overall we are not the strongest army by a long shot.

About specifics:
    - "Starhosts" are our bataillon warscrolls. Basically you have a list of units that you have to play, and if you do (and spend some points extra) you get some additional abilities. Our strongest ones are probably the Shadowstrike Starhost and the Bloodclaw Starhost. The one for "spamming Saurus Knights" is called Firelance Starhost. I would call it pretty mediocre to be honest. That's because the mortal wound damage (mortal wounds are wounds that cannot be saved) you are aiming for when you play it is kinda unreliable and Saurus Knights are horrible glass cannons. High damage output but very squishy. So either you roll those 6s on the charge and cut through the SCE player's units, or you don't, and then you are toast. I played it a few times (agaisnt Ironjawz Orcs) and it worked once I think.
    - The Ankylosaurus-like looking dinosaur is called "Bastiladon", and it is armed with a laser and very sturdy. One of our best units but very expensive, 300 points. And even though it doesn't look like it: Its damage output is not very reliable either. The strong thing about it is its defense. It is one of just very few units in the game that has a save against mortal wounds, and its save against normal wounds is good as well. Buffed by a Priest and/or Starpriest or a Thunderquake Starhost (allowing it to re-roll its saves and/or impriving its save by 1) makes it even more durable, but (at least in matched play, which I assume we are talking about since you mention points) there is no way to make it unwoundable by normal damage. If it rolls a 1 it is hit, like everyone else.
    - Saurus Warriors are....not that good actually. The only way to make them good is to play lots and lots of them. A Oldblood or Sunblood (and others) can buff them to make them decent.
    - The Assassins are pretty good for us. That means: Either Chameleon Skinks (even better in a Shadowstrike Starhost) or our flying units (in a Shadowstrike Starhost), they just appear somewhere and snipe heroes. Quite strong against armies that rely on synergies or have squishy long-ranged units that aren't well protected). Problem with the Shadowstrike: You cannot play it at 1000 points, it is too expensive.

When buffed Kroxigors are actually pretty awesome against horde units. Skeletons might have a problem against them. I would say Kroak is kinda bad for small games because he is just far too expensive for what he can do. Same for the Engine of the Gods, or a Slann.

Keep in mind that our army doesn't contain "super units" or "must-take units". We rely on our synergies so simple "face-roll" lists are rare. That means there aren't very many really bad units either. Exceptions: ...Jungle Swarms maybe. But most others get at least decent with proper synergies or as part of a Starhost.

Acceptable for me, as long as your posts are halfway understandable. ;)

Usakumo, Freddy25 and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I always found Guards good in the limited games I've had against SCE, SCE are good but they do have a weakness against Magic and Rend.

Oh and Welcome aboard :)

Usakumo and Aginor like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah, "Guards + Eternal Starhost + pray that mortal wounds don't hit them" is probably our best option in small games against pretty much everyone.

Usakumo and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

If you can get them in cover they are immortal.

Usakumo likes this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah, but completely static. And also if you opponent has mortal wounds they are dead quickly.

Usakumo likes this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!

In the advanced bits of the 2 starter boxes, you should have a skink oracle (the troglodon rider).
    Use it to build a skink starpriest FTW.

THen pick a box of skinks, use 10 of them as standard skinks for cheap battleline / screenin, and similar, proxy one of them as Skink chief, convert 10 of them into 5+5 chama skinks.
    With a single cheap box you'll have 380 pts of units.

Usakumo and m0gstar like this.
  11. Usakumo
    Jungle Swarm

Usakumo New Member

Thanks a lot for the long anwser ! It is really reliable to have lizard professor around there :D !
    I guess I won't use Starhost, as I already have problems with the rules (Card games are a thing for me but wargames are so heavy rulled).
    Kroxigors seems to be a good option, but having hard counter might be not fun. (If I understood well when I read their warsrcroll they can hit every unit in the enemy's batallion which seems so strong against skeleton)

Also, as I said earlier I won't be able to purchase any more figurine till Christmas (you know, not having any change right know, plus being 11 years old is hard somehow....).
    Even if thoose Saurus Guard + Eternal Starhost seems great on paper...

For the Skink Priest I'll do it tomorrow !! I didn't though I could do it.

If I can play before summer I'll message you back about the result.

My list now (total points :1380) :

Saurus Oldblood (100)
    - War Spear
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    Skink Priest (100)
    - Priestly Trappings
    20 x Saurus Warriors (200)
    - Clubs
    15 x Saurus Knights (360)
    - Lances
    Troglodon (200)