1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New to AOS

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Tuxedokman, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Tuxedokman
    Skink

Tuxedokman New Member

Hey, i'm going to clutter the board up with another noob thread.

So i haven't played AOS outside of my close group of equally stupid friends, but i would like to start venturing out to the real world of local game shops and GW locations to play. I've been lurking on Lustria for a little bit and have picked up on a few things. But what i would like help with is that i'm going to be starting a brand new Seraphon army from scratch, i have ZERO lizards. What do i do? Ive been super intrigued with all the talk of formation strategies and what not but i do not have nearly enough experience with the game to implement that yet, but i would like to work up to it.

So with all that said what is a good starter list for a new person to use if they want to start with Seraphon?

from my lurkings i have seen that the Shadowstrike Starhost is too good not to run, but is that good for a new player to start with? Being as green as i am should i just run abunch of basic Saurus and skinks with a random general (skink priest?) till i get my wings?

what are best practices to being new to AOS and starting a new Seraphon collection?

(P.S. i love the bastiladon model)

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Solaris
    Skink

Solaris Member

The best way to start is generally buying what you think is cool, and experimenting from that. The start collecting box is really good value, and then you could add for example a Bastiladon and a box of Skinks for some variety. Try things out for a couple of games, proxy units if you and your opponent don't mind, and gradually build up the experience you need to understand what is good and what isn't. At that point you should also have an idea of what kind of playstyle you enjoy, and we could help you out more based on that.

Welcome to the hobby!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Seraphage and Captaniser like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

Since we will get a significant buff for all parts of our armies on Saturday I suggest choosing by looks. Do you like

- Skinks (mostly ranged troops, light Infantry, flyers, Troglo, Basti, Stega*)
    - Saurus (Warriors, Guards, Cavalry, Melee heroes, Carnosaurs)
    - Slann (Magic and stuff, Engine of the Gods, Kroak)
    or any combination? Might be just by looks or by play style.

* = Our Monsters can also be combined with magic or Saurus lists.

Choose two as you main focus and I think we can build effective lists around that.

For Saurus the Start Collecting box is pretty good.

Captaniser likes this.
  4. Tuxedokman
    Skink

Tuxedokman New Member

eeeehy whats happening on saturday? will these buffs be released on the Rules Errata page?

And thanks all for the warm welcome! I'll be posting back in this thread when i get more units :)

Captaniser likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Eh, no. The Generals Handbook 2017 will be released on Saturday!! New edition of the rules so to speak, with lots of point decreases/increases and new abilities to use for many armies. Are you living behind the moon??? :D :D

Captaniser likes this.
  6. Solaris
    Skink

Solaris Member

The new edition of General's Handbook is released, giving us point reductions and new tools in the form of Allegiance Abilities, Command Traits and Artefacts. Very exciting stuff :D

Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  7. Tuxedokman
    Skink

Tuxedokman New Member

HA i told you i was completely ignorant on the happenings going on. I just need to get my feet wet then i'll be up to speed with everything! Thank for the help!

Aginor and Captaniser like this.
  8. Tuxedokman
    Skink

Tuxedokman New Member

Can anybody tell me what going on with the "salamander" and "Razordon" models? are they going to get a remake in plastic? or are they still all in metal and going to stay that way for awhile? Should i just get the metal ones?

9. Aginor
    Slann

They are made of resin, using the old metal moulds for casting them it seems.
    I hope there will be new models soon but they are not in sight presently.

10. Tuxedokman
    Skink

Tuxedokman New Member

Ah thanks...i didnt know that, cus they both look the same :p they need a redesign badly. I may proxy them until then.

Seraphage likes this.