1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New to lizardmen 1200pt lists

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by alex42, Jul 22, 2015.

1. alex42
    Jungle Swarm

alex42 New Member

Hi, new to the forums. I played HE in 7th then O&G 7th/8th. The group I'm with is sticking to 8th for now, so thinking about learning how to play lizards. Proxying everything for now. The aim of the 3 lists is to try out various different options:

1200pts
    Comp - max points for a unit or character is 150

List 1 - Skinks - 1200
    Skink Priest L1 Beasts - DS / RRR 90

Core 335
    10 Skirmishers Jav
    12 Skink cohort 1 krox St 120
    28 Skink cohort St 150

Special - 455
    5 Chamo skink
    Solardon
    2 x 3 Ripperdactyls

Rare - 215
    Salamander +1 Handler
    1 Pack of 2 x Razordon

List 2 - Saurus 1191/1196
    Heros - 284
    SV CO LA GW Charmed Sh Dawnstone - 142
    SV CO LA GW Dragon helm Luckstone OTS 142

Core 457/462
    2 x 12 Saurus St - 142
    2 swarm
    3 swarm / 10 Saurus [could switch for a SV LA GW + items]

Special - 450
    2x5 CoR
    3 Krox (formation 2,1)

List 3 - Bastilo-Swarm
    Heroes - 242
    Skink Priest L2 Beasts or L1 with DS, ICI,
    SV CO LA GW Charmed Shield Dawnstone 142

Core - 350
    10 Skink Skirmishers Javs
    2 x 4 Swarms

Special - 528
    3 x Bastilodon Ark of Sotek
    6 Chamo skinks

List 3 is a bit of fun. I don't think swarms will work at scale, but I wanted to try it in a small game to see how it goes!

Comments? Ideas?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yea list 3 seems a bit weak, it needs some Saurus or temple guard,
    the other 2 seems fairly solid though.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

What about some sort of combination of Lists 1 and 2? Or are you interested in keeping the skink and saurus themes seperate?

List 1 could really benefit from a cowboy or two.

4. alex42
    Jungle Swarm

alex42 New Member

N810 Yeah list 3 is weak, mostly to see what my opponents reaction to 3 big monsters generating swarms. I think it's only likely to be viable at this sort of game size and comp. With the 150 limit there aren't many cannon targets usually so they don't appear too often. Wasn't sure 10 temple guard would be enough, but might put them in for Kroc in list 2.

Nightbringer - I learned a fair amount in OnG by playing a few games of just goblins and just orcs so thought I'd try that sort of split - definitely think the skink could use that sort of punch and staying power.

First game this week against OnG, so will see how it goes with list 1.

5. alex42
    Jungle Swarm

alex42 New Member

First game, I took list 1 above (Skinks) with the Priest taking the ruby ring of ruin (RRR)

Skink Priest – Wild form + RRR

Opposition:
    Savage Orc Shaman – Lvl 2 – Fencers blades, Potion of Speed – Hand of Gork – Foot of Gork
    Goblin Warlord – Shield
    Night Goblin (NG) BSB – Banner of Discipline – Great Weapon
    48 NG Spears and Shield - St
    20 NG Shortbow – St
    13 Savage Orc Biguns (SvO Bgn)
    2x4 Trolls
    Wolf Chariot
    Doom Diver, Rock Lobba, Bolt thrower

Scenario – Watch Tower – Lizards Control the tower

Deployment
    I put the skrox in the tower and deployed from left to right:
    Rippers – Solardon (Close to tower to provide +1 I, but also at an angle to flame trolls) – Skirmishers (+Priest) – Salamander (behind building from War machines) – Razordons (in a marsh) – Cohort (in a marsh) – Rippers

Opponent from left to right
    Wolf chariot – RL & BT in marsh – Trolls – Trolls – SvO Bgn (+Shaman) & 20NG (+GWL+BSB) behind the Trolls – DD – NG Horde

Blot toads on Right trolls (the left trolls were easier to flame) and the Savage Orcs

Chamo skinks went on the righthand board edge 12” from the NG horde, right rippers vanguarded forward, the others went sideways to avoid the chariot.

O1 – Left Trolls charged – stand and shoot managed six 6s so minus 1 troll. Magic minimal. Rock lobba dropped a pin-point stone on the bastilodon killing it in one. Tower battle – 6 skink lost, but survived, 1 or 2 wounds on the trolls.

L1 – Left Rippers charge the SvO Bgn. Other rippers flank horde, looking to go behind into Doom diver. Chamo move in front of horde to tempt charge. Cohort, razor (still in marsh) and salamanders move up. RRR a few wound on the left trolls. Shooting caused some damage on the right trolls. Combat – the Svo Shaman drunk his Potion of Speed to strike first, and despite the fencers blades, 1 hit, no wounds. The rippers managed 9 hits, but 1 wound, and were shredded by the Svo Bgns. Was not feeling confident – no Solardon, and now down 1 unit of rippers, nearly ¼ of the army gone!

O2 – Right trolls charge in. The Wolf chariot doesn’t make it to the skink priest and skirmishers. Low winds of magic, nothing cast. The Skrox hold the tower, but only the standard bearer and the krox left.

L2 – Rippers fail to restrain and can’t make it to the Doom diver without clipping the NG horde, so have to flank charge the horde… Cohort move up. Magic phase RRR kills two SvO Bgn. Chamo and Cohort kill five NG in the bunker. Rippers kill seven night goblins, but they pass their break test and combat reform to the face the rippers.

O3 – Trolls charge in again. The SvO Bgns hold back. The WC moves up to threaten the skirmishers. Magic phase, the SvO Sh manages to Foot of Gork the skirmishers, I fail LoS on the Skink Priest, leaving me without a skink priest… The rippers are wiped out after taking out another five NG, and the horde reforms to face the cohort and chamo. The Skrox hold out against the Troll after it wounds the Krox. Getting very worried now. No rippers, no bastiladon, no priest, and starting to lack units having only whittled down his trolls.

L3 – With 4 turns left it feels like a last throw of the dice. The skrox exit the back of the tower and the cohort step in and whittle a few biguns. The 5 Chamo skinks kill 5 of the NG bunker, forcing a panic check which he fails, then passes on the BSB.

O4 – Still no stupidity or animosity issues! The bunker, with bsb and general moves up to the tower. The Skrox flee the chariot, the Chamo’s flee the horde, the cohort stand and shoot removing four biguns! And even better, the SvO Sh miscasts Hand of Gork on the chariot (now threating Skrox, Razordons, and Skirmishers). The Shaman survives the calamitous detonation, but it removes all but two of the biguns, as well as a couple of cohort. In combat the cohort kill the remaining biguns before they can strike, and the Shaman again despite the fencers blades manages 1 hit and no wounds.

L4 – Little to report as most units were rallying. The skirmishers approach the shaman and fail to wound. More wounds caused to whittle down trolls and the bunker. The Chariot takes a wound to the razordons.

O5 – Finally an animosity fail. Not only that the bunker has a “get em result” so the horde is squabbling too, and both lose a few. Also gives the Shaman no obvious unit to join. The Skrox flee the chariot again, it redirects into the razordons who drop it with the stand and shoot. No charges to do, lots of shuffling of units and trolls face the salamander and skirmishers. The Shaman miscasts Foot of Gork at the tower, killing 1 with the foot, two with the miscast and takes a wound. The RL misses and the doom diver hits the salamander.

L5 – Might even hold out! The Skrox rally. The Salamander blocks the horde charging the tower. The Skirmishers kill the Shaman, the cohort wipe out the bunker and put a wound on the BSB and General. The Chamo’s bring the right troll unit to 1 with 2 wounds.

O6 – The right troll charges in taking a wound. The goblin leaders pile into the horde. The Doom diver misfires. The cohort just manage to remove the troll.

L6 – All done and dusted. Looking to try to gain a couple more VP by removing the remaining troll. Nothing has range to the war machines.

Victory to the Skinks! Holding the tower and roughly 250 VP ahead.

Afterthoughts – The scenario in a sense suited my force, as I didn’t have to meet the combat strength of the orcs in an open battle, however if the orcs started in the tower it would’ve been hard to shift them.

I was worried for a lot of that after a poor start, but the whittling down of all the Orc combat units, and the cohort’s devastating standing and shooting won the day. It seemed like the OnG player erred by not assaulting the tower with the SvO Bgn a turn earlier against the depleted Skrox, afterwards admitted the Salamander by the tower meant he didn’t want to risk taking too many turns of being flamed. The Chamo skinks did will, and the Razordons did enough wounds while being my backup building assault unit if the cohort had fled. The Salamander was low damage, but high threat! I used the rippers poorly, probably should’ve been more patient, particularly on the right. On the left, had they halved the Svo Bgn in size, I’d have been much more relaxed!