1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New to Seraphon: what next for 1500 points?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Jamie, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Jamie
    Jungle Swarm

Jamie New Member

Hi Everyone

This is my first post after managing to get hold of the Seraphon Christmas battleforce box this week which I'm excited to build! I've played mostly with Stormcast and Sylvaneth in AoS before, but this will be my first time with Seraphon since fantasy a long time ago.

I was going to build a Carnosaur (unsure on Scar Vet or Oldblood yet), 6 Ripperdactyls, and Bastiladon with gem along with the Skins and Priest.

If I was to get an additional 3 or 4 units/boxes, what do you think I should add next? With any additional models I'd be looking to make a fairly competitive 1500 point list if possible. At my LGS I usually play against Stormcast, Khorne, Slaanesh or Sylvaneth.

I like the idea of some Saurus models, but not sure between warriors and guard. But I'd love to hear thoughts.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Scurvydog
    Saurus

Scurvydog Active Member

Welcome :)

The box is a decent start, but it mixes a bit of units which work best in their own battalions, namely the carnosaur being the odd man out potentially.

For a 1500 point army you are limited in toys. My first suggestion when you say 3-4 boxes is definitely a Slann and another box of skinks, they come in 24 per box, but some kits allow you to grab a skink body to make that 48 into 50 as they come in units of 10 at a time.

The 6 flyers in the box and starpriest really affords itself to the shadowstrike starhost, which consists of 1 starpriest, 2+ units of skinks and 1 unit of flyers. This is a powerful glass cannon battalion. The other good starhost is the thunderquake, but it needs quite a few kits.

If you want to optimize you cant really get around Razordons, but they are very expensive to purchase per model, but if you can get these, I suggest the following 1500 point list as a starting point (assuming you play vanguard for 2 battleline, if you play battlehost with -500 then go 30,10,10 skinks):

Slann
    Skink starpriest
    1 unit of 40 x skinks
    1 unit of 10 x skinks
    1 unit of 3 x razordons
    1 unit of 6 x ripperdactyls
    1 x bastilladon
    1 x Shadowstrike Starhost battalion

This is 1500 points and requires purchase of: 1 slann, 1 box of skinks, 3 boxes of razordons (you can use the skink handlers to proxy as skinks to get the 48 from 2 boxes to 50).

Unfortuantely the Carnosaur has no place in there, but can be added without great effort to a 2000 point version, alternatively if you wish to expand into a thunderquake battalion, you can build it as a Troglodon, then you only need another bastilladon or a stegadon to play with that, if you already got the razordons.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria.

In terms of your Carnosaur I would magnetize the rider so that you can switch between the two options.

The Saurus units for Seraphon are very cool, but at the moment they aren't super effective on the table. If you are set on Saurus then pick up the Seraphon Start Collecting Box. Checkout @Crowsfoot 's SCBox Tutorial. If you are looking for list inspiration then please check out my index of Match Play List in my signature.

Units that will always be useful:
    • Slann
    • Skinks
    • Razordons
    • Engine of the Gods.
    Hope this was helpful!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Welcome to the place where lizards reside!

In terms of what you should go with next, while a start collecting does grant some options it can definitely be expanded on. A carnosaur either way is a ferocious model that can inflict some serious damage. However it the current meta, a bunch of skinks are always good. However if your really adventurous you can buy some dark elf cold ones and turn them into razordons.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome! :)

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Jamie
    Jungle Swarm

Jamie New Member

Thank you everyone! This is really helpful. Slann and Razordons are out of stock at the moment but I'll pick them up when they're back. In the meantime, I've ordered another box of Skinks and will have some 1,000 point games with the Shadowstrike Starhost.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Jamie
    Jungle Swarm

Jamie New Member

Hi again

I’ve got my first game with my new Seraphon this Thursday and will be playing against SCE. We’ll either be playing 1500 (most likely) or 1700 points, needing 3 battle line. All I know is that my opponent will be bringing some Castigators and a Celestant Prime which he usually puts on the table turn 3. He also has 20 Sequitors but not sure if he’s playing them.

I’ve made some additional purchases and now have the following models:

Skink Starpriest
    Slann Starmaster
    48 Skinks (10 javelin, 38 blowpipe)
    6 Ripperdactyls
    Oldblood on Carnosaur
    15 Saurus Guard
    Sunblood
    4 Razordons
    12 Handlers
    Bastiladon

I was thinking of playing a list similar to the one suggested by Scurvydog with a Shadowstrike battalion, but wondered if I need something that hits a bit harder in combat. What would you suggest I play at these point levels, and any comments on tactics? Bubble wrap the Slann with Guard and summoned skinks to avoid the Prime? Also, what relics, traits and summons? Great rememberer looked good for getting me out of a predicament, and Ghyrstrike on a Sunblood looks fun.

If people are interested I can post how it goes as my first match playing with them. Thanks in advance for any comments!

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

You could try this:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS:
    Slann Starmaster
    (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Great Rememberer
    - Artefact : Miasmatic Blade

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
    - Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak
    Skink Starpriest (80)

UNITS:
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    4 x Razordons (160)

BATTALIONS:
    Shadowstrike Starhost
    (180)

TOTAL: 1460/1500
    EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1
    WOUNDS: 93

Wait to pop the Doppelganger Cloak on your Carno to fight the Celestant Prime if possible. If you own Endless Spells then I would drop the 20 man Skink unit and Take Cogs and Balewind Vortex.

Lizerd likes this.