1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New to Warhammer, first army list (ridiculous)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by dmetal, May 10, 2017.

?

Is this army playable?

1. It's really bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fun to play but not competitive

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Not fun to play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Actually could work in competitive matches

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. dmetal
    Jungle Swarm

dmetal New Member

Hello. I am totally new to warhammer and table top gaming.
    This is the list that I came up with. It's ridiculous and I know it so please bear with me.

2000 points

Leaders
    Engine of God
    Slann Starmaster
    Saurus Eternity Warden

Units
    Saurus Guard x5
    Saurus Guard x5
    Saurus Guard x5
    Salamander
    Skink handler

Bastilladon x2

Eternal Starhost
    Thunderquake Starhost

I have 160 points to choose whatever units I need...

My strategy is to form an unbreakable line of Saurus guard in front of Slann and Warden, taking advantage of Eneternal Starhost.
    Each side will be blocked by Bastilladon. They are already tanky but they will heal d3 each turn.(Thunderquake Starhost with Slann). Also when rolling for EOG, because Slann is near it, it can choose a dice to pick the result I want(heal). In theory, my formation is very tanky and heals each turn.
    This formation will deal ranged damage using Slann and 2 bastilladons. Enemies are forced to approach us while taking damage, and salamander will deal good amount of damage while they are trying to break through guards and bastilladon. I'm not sure EOG is a solid source of damage output.

I know objective is important in AOS so this slow army wouldn't be competitive. Maybe it lacks damage output as well. But I thought it would be fun to build an unbreakable army.

I don't have any seraphon models yet. I will probably get an start collecting box, and buy slanns and units for eternal starthost. But if this army list is actually playable, I just might go with this one.

All feedbacks, even harsh ones, are appreciated because I never played a game and I get a feeling that this list isn't good. :)

Captaniser and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This is actually a great objective grabbing army because once they gave i they aren't moving off of it. For your 160 I would say starseer, sone will say astrolith. Whichever way you go is a good choice.

3. dmetal
    Jungle Swarm

dmetal New Member

Thank you for your response. Do you think this list is actually playable? Playable meaning competitive enough to have an exciting match or fun to play andplay against.

Bowser and Captaniser like this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Certain armies will pose a problem. While others will do some damage, but won't last long in combat. I have a general order list that has the thunderquake but way more shooting. But you should be able to hold one or more objectives fairly easily, and with rerolls from a starseer you would have a higher chance of the rage inducing double turn. I would probably switch the sally for a razordon, but I just like the instinctive defense ability for a defensive army.

5. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

Using guard as your main blocker may not be in your best interest as all it would take to melt it would be a handful of mortal wounds. I might use warriors as they're much cheaper and losing 3 to an arcane bolt won't make nearly as much of an impact as it would on a unit of guard.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Hello!

Eternal S. and thunderquake S. cover a similar niche: defensive approach, so the two combined are almost overlapping, and you lose points. But hey, let's work with those 160 pts.

What you can do:
    power! 120 pts for 2 other sallies: with 3 sallies, you will be much more threatening
    or...
    flexibility! 120 pts for a unit of 5 chama skinks (this will give you a nice unit that can pop on mor distant objectives, kill enemy's warmachine crew and so on)

note that in both cases, you will save 40 pts. A Group of 3 handlers costs 40 pts. put those 40 pts in your summoning pool, and summon them upon an objective.

You already have a very resilient force (even if 3x5 guards are really a minimal force, they will be supported by dinos): I'd go for chama skinks and handlers summoning

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  7. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

The Eternal Starhost is a very match dependent battalion. If you face a straight up army you will do great. If you face tzeench or stormcast you will be picking units up off the table turn 1. Give it a shot and see what happens. Luck with pairings is part of the game.

Bowser likes this.