1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otzi's army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Otzi'mandias, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

So guys, I got some messages that said to start a painting blog. I thought "Hey, why not? Maybe I'll get comments that will help my painting." Also, its much easier to experiment with paints knowing I have some decent painters who can help me fix any major mistakes. I would like to point out now, however, I dont have major skills in the painting department so I may be a bit of a long-term project. Also, I might attempt some conversions.

Bracnos, Bowser and n810 like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I do like conversions! Don't worry about the paint it's great to see improvement as you work!

3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Conversion are always fun! Even when I first started with my simple ones it was always so much more satisfying than just building the out-of-the-box mins. Just have fun with it! Lizards have plenty of interesting bits and bobs to chop and change. I'll keep an eye on the blog....I'm no grand master but I might be able to give comments here and there :)

4. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Well thats all I really want, so great!

Phoedinn likes this.
  5. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Wait. How do you upload pictures? I thought it would be "upload a file" but it isnt working

Attached Files:

Phoedinn and Bowser like this.
  6. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Oh, thats how you do it. I knew that all along. For sure.;-)

7. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Yep XD just drag into the text box and click the size of photo you want at the bottom to have them in text instead of just attachments.

8. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Ok so like this? tmp_19892-DSC_0004-251296341.JPG

Phoedinn and Bowser like this.
  9. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Damn, that looks fine. Thanks a lot @Phoedinn

Bowser and Phoedinn like this.
  10. Phoedinn
    Razordon

You got it! Looking great BTW :) Have you tried drybrushing? It really works a treat on the lizard models. what with all the bumps and scales, would really help pick out the details in the model.

11. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

To be honest I wouldn't know which one to use. I bought skink blue as part of a bundle but I have no others at all. My painting knowledge goes as far as basecoating and washing and thats it.

12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks fantastic!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  13. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Assuming you use Citadel, they have a very good chart that tells you exactly what shades of paint work with what and it what order! Some shops still have some for free,but if not you can go here: https://www.afistfulofdice.co.uk/page/citadel-chart Hope it helps :D It's always helped me a lot to know what pre-mixed paints work for what effec

14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

You can add a spot of white to the base colour and drybrush or you could do a white drybrush then glaze with blue, a glaze is a thinner mix wash.

What colours do you have atm?

15. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Ooh, I have castellan green, coelia greenshade, seraphim sepia, sotek green, warboss green, averland sunset, Temple guard blue, skink blue, mournfang brown, warpfiend grey, jokaero orange, gauss blaster green, genestealer purple, stegadon scale green, retributor armour, and I have about £20 to blow on any paints you think I must have.

16. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

I did originally take a photo of them all but for some reason my phone keeps deleting the picture.

17. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Oh thanks I can use that also! But I drybrush as part of the layering system as well, and I find the drybrush paint to be "not needed" as you can use normal layer paints for the same effects (in my opinion). For example I use Ushabti Bone as a drybrush effect on my bases that are Eshin Grey with a wash of Nuln Oil.

@Otzi'mandias you can always use a bit of sprue and try some of the paints on that for the effect it gives and judge it from that. (let paint dry before judging by the way as a wet paint might look a whole lot different then dry)

18. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

This is not a a bad idea actually. I know what you mean about the paints, they do seem to change colour as they dry. I have been disappointed before... :-(

19. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Not only color, but seen coverage change also.. wet paint seemed to not cover a darker underground and when dry it was covering good enough.. really a tricky one to not let you lure into putting more paint on and then ruin the effect.

20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

With these paints in mind try this,

Base the model with Temple guard blue then wash with Seraphim sepia then drybrush with Skink blue and then a very light drybrush warpfiend grey.

£20 gets you, agrax earthshade, white, black, leadbleacher, runefang steel, karak stone