1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Our mini Kunnin' Rukk

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by darren watson, May 26, 2017.

1. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

Hi fellow lizard lovers..

I have been experimenting with a few different lists for the GT Heat 3 recently and had a lot success running this

General-Skink Chief (sickle, strategic master, obstinate blade)
    Kroak
    Astrolith (phoenix stone)
    Starseer
    Starpriest

Shadowstrike

40 skinks boltspitters and shields
    10 skinks boltspitters and shields
    (Above units Shadowstrike)
    10 skinks boltspitters and shields

6 Ripperdactyls

What has surprised me most is the 40 strong unit of skinks. They can move 2d6 before the game starts, then move 8" and fire at range 16". They pump out 80 shots that hit on 2's (general and multiple skinks buff) and reroll 1's (Starpriest shadowstrike buff on one enemy unit). Average of 77 hits and produces around 30 odd wounds (killed a chicken of change in one first time I ran this).
    You can also pop immune to battleshock once thanks to strategic master on your general which helps them survive the counter attack ready for next turn.
    They are even pretty decent in combat if you can get them all in against other light infantry with the general's buff.
    Army as a whole seems much more rounded from my previous builds and with 2 big threats now in the list (rippers) can also perform without relying on Kroak (managed to table a khorne list with 2 items that stop a spell and their blood tokens stopping spells. Kroak was shut down for 3 turns).

If this has been discussed before my apologies. Has anyone else had much success running large skink units?

If you haven't tried them, it's loads of fun watching your opponent scratch their head.. "but they're only skinks".

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I have said it before, skinks are probably the best battleline in order, and definitely big on skink chief for the general. Looking forward to seeing how this goes for you.

milman and darren watson like this.
  3. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Me to! Pretty much auto win against mixed Chaos the dominant list right now.
    Need to get some games in against some Overlords though. Think they will be this list's (and everyone else's) nemesis

Bowser likes this.
  4. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking about something like this the other day but in a heavenswatch starhost instead!

Bowser and darren watson like this.
  5. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Would work just as well. 30 wounds on a unit pretty sweet

Bowser and LordRibbit like this.
  6. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

I was thinking of 2 EotG's for mortal wound output and the skinks to hit lighter targets. Possibly with a small shadowstrike with chameleon skinks for board control...

Bowser likes this.
  7. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

Btw how are they pumping out 80 shots?

Bowser likes this.
  8. darren watson
    Kroxigor

40 it seems I have gotten mixed up with the 9ld rules. . Oops

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Boltspitters only get 1 shot each.

10. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

Still 15 odd wounds is decent a turn!

darren watson and Bowser like this.
  11. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

I really want massed skinks to be good but whenever I think too hard about it I always come to the conclusion that chameleon skinks just do the same job better when it comes to dishing out damage.

So if I take those 30 extra skinks (over and above basic requirements) and replace them with 10 chameleon skinks
    • They have 20 shots (instead of 30)
    • They hit on 2+ (still re-rolling 1's)
    • They wound on 4+ (re-rolling 1's)
    • 1/3 of their shots will do 2 wounds instead of 1 with the +1 from the skink chief
    • Against chaos daemons 1/3 of their shots will do 3 wounds instead of 1
    • They can go anywhere and therefore hit anything not behind *masses* of screening units - an opponent who deploys right back is not an issue
    • Few things in the game can re-position onto an objective like chameleon skinks.
    Allowing for the vagaries of dice those chameleon skinks will put out roughly as many wounds as the full 40 skinks but with more freedom of exactly where the wounds go.

What really swings it for me is the way they act as an additional threat for an opponent to worry about - a threat that like the Ripperdactyls can appear anywhere i want and attack pretty much what I want. It is a threat-out-of-nowhere overload for them to deal with.

12. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

So further to this discussion I think I've come up with my list for GT final, not expecting to get massively high up the rankings but should be fun (barring massive changes in GH2):

Starseer (160)
    Star priest (100)
    Skink Priest (100) Priestley Trappings, Celestial Rites

2 x EotG's (480) 2 x Phoenix Stone
    1 x Bastildon Laser beam (300)
    1 x Stegadon Flamethrowers (260) General, Legendary Fighter

40 x Skinks Boltspitters and clubs (320)
    10 x Skinks Boltspltters and clubs (80)
    10 x Skinks Javelins and Shields (80)

Heavenswatch Starhost (100)

Total: 1980

Normally I'd go for a shadowstrike but this is a one drop army meaning I probably go first. Buffing my dinos with celestial rites giving armour re-rolls plus the healing 1 wound per turn (2 for EotGs) makes it very durable. Plus with the star seer spell and re-roll probably get 2 D6 mortal wounds first turn at least, stegadon giving one an extra D6 move in the hero phase will put it in range of a hero or two.

Plan would be to use the Engines to snipe heros and concentrate the rest of the firing on one unit at a time, re-rolls of 1's to hit and wound will do a lot of damage.

Thoughts?

Aginor and Bowser like this.