1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Paint striping on resin models

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by WhenTheSkinksMarch, Jul 13, 2018.

1. WhenTheSkinksMarch
    Saurus

WhenTheSkinksMarch Active Member

So I have a set of saurus and saurus guard that have been partially painted by previous owners and I would like to strip to start fresh. Now I have been told you need to take extra care when stripping paint from resin minis, which is where my question comes in:
    What is the safest and most effective way to strip a resin mini? Is a bath in paint thinner or isopropyl alcohol still a good option?

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Alcohol should do something. I admit I have no experience with stripping miniatures though.

3. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I normally use Methylated spirit on plastics and it works a treat.

HOWEVER - on resin I recently stripped a finecast slann and it softened the plastic a little bit, I wouldn’t recommend using it on resin.

Videos I have seen recommend using “simple green” on resin as it doesn’t appear to effect the resin. I’ve heard Dettol does a similar thing but I couldn’t vouch for it without testing

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. The Zekenator
    Skink

The Zekenator Member

As far as i know,a bath of 12-24 hours in "simple green" and then scratch with a brush will be enough. I used it to strip my metal and plastic miniatures. Cleans about 90-100% of paint in metal miniatures and 80-90% in plastic (the paint in the inner parts is difficult to reach). I imagine that with resin it will work similar to plastic. But i suggest a first try with a small and expendable piece before.

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Use a acetone free product if you can and do a test first