1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Painting guides

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Canas, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Are there any guides which describe which colours you're supposed to use for various things? Preferably using the official colours. It's kind of awkward having to guess colourschemes of pictures when you have 390458034895 shades of red to pick from, plus I'l have forgotten which colours I've used the next time I'l pay another one of the models at a later point if I don't paint them in batches. Which makes them all look a bit odd.

Anyway, I can't find any guides, to be honest I'd expected them to be in the boxes. The best I can find is that sometimes the back of the box mentions some of the colours used for one variation (while preferably showing several variations on the box) and it's annoying me.

n810 and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think they're on the box, or on the website the suggested paints, as well as in the battletome.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The battletome doesn't actually mention them as far as I can remember. It shows some colourschemes, but doesn't actually say which paints are involved in it.

The site only mentions "recommended paint bundles" but doesn't actually say what is supposed to go where, nor does it necesarly say if something is supposed to be layered (and how). It just says "use this collection of blues for the blue bits". Plus, having the site open when I'm painting is kind of inconvenient since I can't paint at this desk.

And the boxes don't Always seem to mention it, plus they generally only mention 1 colourscheme (despite showing multiple).

So far the only boxes I've seen that included actual instructions, and not just vague mentions of "use these 5 blues" were the boxes with extra heroes for the silver tower game.

Plus, I'd preferably would like to see several colourschemes listed, gives some vague choice :p

Bowser likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Google "painting citadel miniatures" pdf there should be a 2 pages with all the colours layed out in base, wash, highlight.

Also white dwarf had a special painting edition not so long ago, issue 94, 14 November 2015 it's around a £5 on Ebay.

It has the Demon painting on the front cover.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

mm, that seems what I've been looking for.

So far I have this And i'd like to find something like this, but more up to date. And preferably in actual paper form since that's nice to work with while painting.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Google "cool mini or not ultimate painting miniatures guide" 400 pages of techniques and theroy on how and why.

The first thing you linked is included with the white dwarf issue so you can have it to hand, I prefer physical copies as well and I usually print the stuff I need and laminate it.

GW have done a great job of developing a paint system that works, I use it all the time but watching vids gives more information.

DeadlyRecluse, Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yea, I used to have magazines for their lord of the rings game that came with a couple of models each month or so. It'd also describe how you should paint them and everything. They were quite good. I just find it surprising there isn't anything like it on the GW site.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

There was a book years back Eavy metal masterclass but it rarely comed up on ebay and it's expensive

Bowser likes this.
  9. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Warhammer TV has 2 videos by Duncan (and another artist) on painting Saurus Guard/Warrior. I used it as a base for my scheme. Also, I think they also have one about Skink Priest feathers. I couldn't find many recent guides on Seraphon on Youtube; however, there are some out there but they are kind of low quality -- but maybe you'll have better luck than I do.

Also, Tales of Painters Blogspot has an artist who was featured in White Dwarf -- its kind of the dark Russ Grey/Orange scheme. There's a decent amount of posts about it to check out different colors they used.

Also #2, back of the boxes usually have at least a base color, layer, and wash for some of the pictures on the back -- I use those as a last resort -- at least as a base reference.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

The tale of painters painter is Amy Suggs if I recall correctly.

Aphotic and Bowser like this.
  11. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

The CMON guide is legit so good. Totally worth a read as it discusses techniques as opposed to instructions on how to paint. Which IMO will benefit you far more in the long run as you'll have a better handle on why certain colours and techniques are used, and how to apply them to get desired effects instead of just following a half finished recipe written by Uncle GW half a decade ago

Bowser likes this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

True, but you do need a starting point, and a half finished recipe is better as a starting point than nothing. Plus I'm mostly in it for the base colour scheme to desinguish between the 100 shades of blue. Especially considering that some colours don't look entirely like what their name suggest (e.g. stegadon green seems to look far more blue when its dried than green as far as I can tell)

Bowser likes this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

it would if I could get it to be a readable fontsize, it's a fraction too small :S

Bowser likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Improved size but sent you a pm

Aphotic, Bowser and Ritual like this.