1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Progress Report

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by samheim, Jan 4, 2020.

1. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

IMG_0032.JPG

Repainted my Seraphons to green. The knights took ages to paint. Have to find motivation to paint the other box now.

IMG_0034.JPG

Painted over my Stormcast. Went for a celestial vindicators theme. I can't express how much I hate the gold and blue colour scheme of the standard Stormcasts.

IMG_0036.JPG

Next batch. First base coat. Decided pointless to spray whole model, as the cloaks are yellow etc. Tried to just get the armour. Thing is, 95% of time is spent with the brush anyway. Might try some glazes on these.

IMG_0037.JPG

Tried to make my own slaughter priest from a blood reaver. Also testing the colour scheme.

Might have to work out a different way of painting these using washes, as I have 50 to paint and they will take to long to paint normal way.

Aginor and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

good progress i like the priest

samheim likes this.
  3. samheim
    Ripperdactil

Thanks!

To be honest I have been slack, and have not really had a lot of hobby time unfortunately. Also a lot of time was spent trying to make decisions on how to paint them.

Some of the Stormcast and Seraphon have a lot of paint on them. I just paint over them instead of stripping them down or priming over them again.

Hopefully the next batch will go much faster. Would like to add some skinks to my seraphons and a steggadon.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  4. samheim
    Ripperdactil

Ok dudes,

went in with the airbrush. I do 2 base coats, spray a wash on, then I do 2 highlights with airbrush.

but the lizard men were to dark. I forgot to add enough yellow. Lucky I had some of the last highlight left that I decanted into n empty vallejo bottle.

So I got that and mixed in some yellow. Then done a further 2 highlights.

I feel like I am in a good place. It's really hard painting a lot of models at once, as you feel like tearing your balls out.

But the advantage is, that you finish them all at the same time as well.

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

5. samheim
    Ripperdactil

If anyone is interested, I can make a youtubes painting tutroial video on how I paint these suckems.

6. samheim
    Ripperdactil

IMG_0046.JPG

Ok guys, good news, I have my Seraphons and bumcast eternals in a playable state.

Will try to make a youtube battle report soon. I will continue to paint them as time goes on. But I need to get some game in.

I have major Khone blood lust. painted a couple of models the other day, and played a game with them. Really feeling them.

Seraphon was for a friend I play with. I am not 100% into them, but I had to get into them to be able to spend all the time painting them.

Lustria online really helped with that!

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Without being rude, there is a section in the forums designed for painting blogs. Perhaps this should be moved there.

8. samheim
    Ripperdactil

IMG_0047.JPG

The army so far. Not the best photos unfortunately IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0052.JPG .

9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

I think you would be better off if you made the saurus and cold ones not the same color, or at least not the same shade of green. Are you planning different shades to be used or anything?

I also feel your lighting doesnt offer the best viewing for great commentary (Jan 14th being a prime example, you cant see anything other than the large shadow)

samheim likes this.
  10. samheim
    Ripperdactil

Thank you. I will try to do better photos in the future.

I absolutely agree with you, that the Saurus knights would individually look better if the mounts were painted a different colour.

However, my idea is that if you paint everything in the whole army the same, when you look at the whole army, it looks good because everything is so uniform. Though individual models on their own don't look very exciting.

Also it's possible to paint them very quickly, if you keep everything a few colours. I done my stormcast this way as well. As that way I have to make fewer decisions, if they are all the same.

I have looked at other people's Saurus knights and they are really creative with interesting colour schemes and lots of attention to detail.

I feel like, and I know this might sound like and excuse.

If the Seraphon models were all brand new and looked really cool, and I was really into them. I would probably want to spend more time on them.

As it is, I was just trying to rush through them, but get an overall effect on the army, that looked good.

11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

That's fair, they are your models so you do as you please with them, was just an opinion. My whole army is a variety of colors and no one looks identical, I personally like it that way. They all have common colors so it doesnt look off base, but none look the same and there is a wide variety if color

I think uniform is fine, but sometimes ya need a little different

Keep it up!

samheim likes this.
  12. samheim
    Ripperdactil

Some important updates...!

IMG_0081.JPG

Started to redo my Nighthaunt

Using the airbrush and glazing technique. I am mainly going for speed. I am really happy how these are going. I have painted loads of them in very short space of time. To me they actually look better with less details pained on.

IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0087.JPG
    This one i used glazing, but used the brush instead. It's a lot harder to get the underneath highlights right. I was doing these in a hurry so this looks pretty messy.

IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0095.JPG

This Evocotor was also painted only with a brush using the glazing technique. I spend a bit longer on the stormcast because they are not so many to paint. The model looks a bit rough, because I stripped the paint off it, but didn't get all the little flakes off, mainly shows around the face.

Am spending more time stripping the paint off the rest,they have been dunked and re dunked several times now.

I am happy with the glazing technique. I do use some wash's, but don't bother adding any more highlights, as it takes to much time imo. The highlights tend to come from the undercoat.

For me this works, to get to a standard I am happy with in a short time.

When I used the base coat + wash + edge highlighting, for me the end result, I was less happy with and it took about 5 times longer.

Erta Wanderer and Sudsinabucket like this.