1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painting WIP: two scratch sculpted engines of the gods

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by wappellious, Sep 11, 2009.

1. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Here are some images of the two engines that are partially painted. The first engine is about 80% finished, while the second one is about 55% done.

If you have seen the WIP images of these guys prior to painting, that will describe how they were created.

The images in the Engine portals were miniature paintings done right on the surface, no print outs :D

The engines are removable from the howdahs, so that blowpipes can be placed on the two turrets that are on each howdah. Each priest has a base that matches the howdah, but they can also be used as skink priests on foot.

EotGWIPpaintingONEFrontR.jpg

EotGWIPpaintingONEMultipleR.jpg

EotGWIPpaintingTWOFrontR.jpg

EotGWIPpaintingTWOback_sideR.jpg

Here is a link to the sculpting thread:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...ch-sculpted-stegadons-multi-use-howdahs.1974/

Warden likes this.
  2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Wowio! Awesome stuff man! Keep 'em coming.

3. Eltharion
    Skink

Eltharion New Member

That is just awesome, WOW!

// Eltharion

4. mantakore
    Saurus

mantakore New Member

i have to say apsolutly incredible. one the best conversions ive seen ever. may i ask how long youve been painting and sculpting your masterpieces

5. camo-skink
    Chameleon Skink

camo-skink New Member

WOW, THAT IS AMAZING, AS USUAL! i love the images in the portal! great addition!

camo-skink

6. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks for all the kind words ;)

I have been sculpting figures for myself going back to the old blood bowl days, when I had no way to buy the figures for myself.

When I started doing 40K back in '07, I scratch built a bunch of chimeras, land radiers and dreadnoughts.

I started to play WFB in late 2008, and I also needed to custom build several items for the growing lizardman army!

I have been painting minis exculsively since 2002, but since 1989 I had been runnig my own two dimesnional art and illustration business.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Sweet jesus... Those are absolutely amazing. I don't think its even possible to have an EotG better than those ones. The freehand is brilliant, my favourite is the second one on the left with the pyramid and the spiral of energy. It is almost a shame it isn't a GW stegie, it would have no competition at a Golden Daemon.

8. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

I want to do the portal think on mine, have for a while, it wouldn't be hard, but I'd SUCK at painting it.

9. mantakore
    Saurus

mantakore New Member

can i ask were you got the stegodon

10. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

If you look at the end of my post (right under the last pictures), you will see a link to the thread with pictures of the sculpted stegadons and a description of how they were done.

Thanks!

11. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Wapp I have a question for you.
    I've been on and off painting bits of my normal model EotG for the past few weeks now, and am getting onto stone. How do you go about your stone painting? I could probably tell if I had the thing in front of me, but do you go for warm/cold and colour uniformity (ie all the stone, say, varying between cold gray-blue and cold gray-green) or local areas of contrast (ie cool gray-green highlighted with a warm gray). There's no lighting effect on my one so it's just a question of what I should be considering in terms of colour, tone, and warmth contrasts/uniformity or just plain neutrality.
    (It's the stone of the platform)

12. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I have a million different ways that I paint stone, but many times I lay out a set of colors on the pallette and have them available to mix together quickly.

I might have rotting flesh, graveyard earth, shadow grey and even a green all out there to mix with. The graveyard earth and shadow grey combo is nice, and I will lighten that up with rotting flesh of bleached bone. I try to work very fast in this stage, so that I can almost mix areas wet into wet.

As I move around the surface, I will toss in different colors into the mix.. popping in a little green or even a brownish color to create variation. SOme areas might be greenish, some more warm brown, some almost a cool grey.

Hope that is helpful!

13. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

That's actually exactly what I wanted to know actually.

That's how I paint with oils (only ever use 6 pigments and just mix everything super fast as needed) but I never had or wanted to deal with something fast drying like acrylics until now. The sort of physical properties of oil and acrylic are so different, getting the surface texture I like is being a pain. I've also been finding it hard to get into the warm/cold state of mind due to the generosity of gw paints, always thinking of a colour I need and using a GW paint with only a little bit of mixing which actually is the wrong warmth or something.

With oils my thing was still life and portraiture, basically worshiping a painter call euan uglow (he painted still life using insane amounts of measurement but his paintings were ALL about colour and warm/cold contrasts). I'm beginning to get that confidence and fluency with these GW acrylics, but it's still a long way off. I chose lizardmen 'cause it's an army where you can use a large range of colours in a way a bit distant to the sort of graphicness, if you know what I mean, of many warhammer armies - like lots of dark elves being dark armour, deep red cloth, pale skin - classic graphic style.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response, I'm just taking a break while some highlighting dries on the little beast now.