1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paints brand

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Willsabeefcake, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

Willsabeefcake New Member

Afternoon all,

My first post! I've been out the game for ages, 10+ years after playing as a youngster and now after dipping in and out of news over the years it seems that the new age of sigmar is going to be awesome!

As a youngster I never cared or had the patience to do a good paint job but now I want to make sure I enjoy that part of the hobby as well as collecting/painting etc. So question is are citadel paints/brushes the best for the job?? I presume it's a lot easier for following guides and YouTube etc as everyone uses the same format?

Thanks!

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

Citadel brushes are extremely overcosted and not that good either.
    I recommend using others. Army Painter brushes are pretty good, but there are even better ones, depending on where you live there will be local brands we can suggest.

The Citadel paints are OK, expecially because there is a good amount of different ones, and of course all the recipes from GW and other guides work. I personally don't use many of them (I use mainly Army Painter paints) but they aren't bad.
    What I don't like about Citadel paints is that they are rather expensive and quite thick (at least that one is easily solvable by thinning them), and the pots suck. But you can work with them well.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I like Vallejo paints. The dropper bottles (other brands have dropper bottles as well) are fantastic and they have a very wide range of colours. However I have paints from several ranges and I won't let a "paint brand" stop me from buying a colour that I like.

Aginor likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

I think the most common color brands are these:
    - Citadel
    - Vallejo
    - Army Painter
    - P3

I think all of them except Citadel use the same dropper bottles.

5. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

Thanks for the replies! I have no artistic talent what so ever so it's not that I'll prefer one colour over another. More for ease of use that I can build upon once I'm confident.

Colour scheme wise I was thinking of actually doing a base grey/black with orange scales. I love the one on GW website of the carnasaur painted that way. Do you guys think it would work army wide or not? I would do slann/behemoths differently

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

Oh and I'm UK - Midlands by the way for any recommendations for shops/brands etc! Thanks again

7. Aginor
    Slann

I think dark with orange can look really cool.
    Just don't forget to use grey tones to highlight the black, so it doesn't swallow all the details.

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

In that case always shop at

http://alchemistsworkshops.com/

You have to spend £50 to get free delivery but the savings are brilliant. They sell paints, brushes etc

9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

It will work a treat, I’m using something similar for my Ironjawz

10. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

Thanks for all the great advice. The other thing thats really changed for AoS is the books - no longer a codex (fogetten what the fantasy equivalent was called!) but a battletome but from what I've read there's no point in getting this? Just core rules and generals handbook that's coming out this weekend?

11. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah our Battletome is a nice book (and I recommend getting it) but mostly fluff. The few things that you cannot get for free online (bataillon warscrolls) are easy to obtain in another way, just ask here if necessary ;)

What you need is the free rules PDF, the FAQs, the warscrolls for your units (the app contains all of those but you can also get the PDFs and print them out), the new General's Handbook that will be released tomorrow, prooobably the new Core Book but maybe not. I am not 100% sure about that last one.

Willsabeefcake likes this.
  12. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

From what I've read the core book seems to contain loads of fluff? Which is a great reason to buy it!! I used to have all the old 6th edition army books mainly for the fluff as I only ever played lizardmen and vampire counts. It's been great to see how far it's all come in the last 10 years

13. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah. If you like fluff it is a must buy IMO. And the Malign Sorcery expansion sounds nice as well.

14. Willsabeefcake
    Skink

Does anyone think a new battletome will be imminent with second edition released or is it still worth getting?

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

No.
    They are not.
    I almost entirely agree with Aginor about paints and brushes. Particularly the brushes.
    That said, some of the GW shades and washes are worth the extra cost. Nuln Oil FREX.

I would add all of Reaper Miniatures paints to the list Aginor put up. I don’t know how available they are in the Midlands.

Corrrect: The Seraphon Battletome will be obsoleted as of AS2.

Only Purchase at a steep discount. Is there such a thing as a half-price bookseller in the UK Midlands area?

16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Truth in advertising:

Not a big fan of official fluff here: guilty as charged.

(I hate investing the time to read it if they’re just going to rewrite it periodically.)