1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Path to Glory, new campaign

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by zubrin, Jan 5, 2019.

1. zubrin
    Saurus

zubrin Member

Hi all.

The local Warhammer shop is hosting a new Path to Glory campaign and I am joining at the last minute. The previous discusison here seems to suggest that our initial build is pretty bad.

How do you all feel about going Slann + Engine of the Gods? This is legal for a starting list, right? Going full out on a summoning band seems like I may be able to build it out further in the future.

Thanks for any advice as I throw this together.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I doubt you would be able to win your first few games with the list. I do think it is worth a Slann though. Maybe a Slann with a unit of 20 Skinks and 3 Rippers/Terradon. After wards you can spend 1 Glory and 1 Roll to add the EoTGs.

PabloTho and zubrin like this.
  3. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

Having played a few PTG campaigns with Seraphon at this point, I can say that the slann is pretty much mandatory. Summoning is all we have to keep pace with the starting warbands of other factions.

I'm not so sure about the EotG though - as has been said, you will need bodies on the line to screen and claim objectives. The skink + ripperdactyl setup above is ideal - dump all your spells into ritual points to drop a second unit of rippers in turn two for easy wins.

zubrin and LizardWizard like this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I really don’ Think an EotG is that optimal. Kinda clunky and while it does have a decent synergy with a Slann it lacks a lot of necessary consistency. Now in my option I think the all mighty carnosaur would be best (not biased, I promise!).

5. serafellow
    Skink

serafellow New Member

Actually I have a quick question about path to glory. What is a roll? I understand how the glory point system works but I still don’t get what a roll is.

6. zubrin
    Saurus

zubrin Member

The roll is for a new unit on your list. You can roll them or pick them depending on your league rules.

7. zubrin
    Saurus

zubrin Member

I played one game this week so far against Daughter of Khaine on the monument battleplan and went with the suggested build (Slann, Rippers, skinks). I was able to t1 kill a unit of archers and summoned some skinks for more buffer/shooting. T2, my opponent abandoned the monument as he assumed he would still get the d6 roll. I teleport the skinks to the monument and got a 2 on my 4+ roll to win immediately. t3, I lost the die roll and didn't go first, so those skinks perished and the rest of the match was lopsided despite my summoning of more things in.

I was pretty happy that I had a 50% chance to win on t2 and a 25% to win on t3 (win die roll + 4+ monument roll), but that wasn't sufficient. I may try to get a few more games in this week and see if I can up my points.

I expect to add an Engine in week 2 using a roll and glory.

8. zubrin
    Saurus

zubrin Member

I haven't been able to get as much time to play as I would want, but I have been doing one game a week. I got another tie this week and rollover is Sunday.

SO, right now I am running Slann, 20x skinks, 3xRippers, and one EoTG. I am considering going up to another one for the upcoming week. What would you run as your next unit (you have a roll and a glory to spend and assume you can field any unit on the list)?

9. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

You've got a solid backbone to your force as this point. There's a few ways you can flesh it out from here - but these are my top picks:

1. Add more skinks for more board control and screens for your valuable Slann and Engine.

2. Add more rippers for more offensive power and another toad to maximize their potential effective area.

3. Add an Astrolith bearer and go balls-to-the-wall with your summoning. With good rolls from the Engine and the Astrolith's conjuring points you can potentially throw down two more units of rippers in your first turn.

10. zubrin
    Saurus

zubrin Member

I am now at: Slann, two engines, 20 skinks, and 3x ripperdactyls.

I had two games with my Orc friend and won them both. A R1T1 engine did 6 mortal wounds to his general and gibbed him to start. Good times.

PabloTho, Crowsfoot and GuaDan like this.