1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Pepticsalve Painting Log

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Pepticsalve, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Have just started building a lizardman army as part of a 12-player escalation group. Every month we are hoping to add around 250 points worth of models. The idea is that everyone slowly grows their army over 10 months until we all have large, fully painted and tournament ready armies I was a month late joining so in theory I need to get 500 points worth of units painted by the end of this month!.

So, this month is all about core units for me. Saurus warriors and skink skirmishers - finished with a skink priest if I can get my three minimum core units painted this month!

Initial Saurus Warrior with spear unit (its not a legal size yet, more to come with full command later)
    10669074_978475828834518_3685096014715993397_o.jpg
    10700420_978475835501184_9111208404599417868_o.jpg

Test skink skirmisher with javellin (I'll be running multiple units of these guys, probably 10 to a unit)

I decided on a desert scrub land sort of base rather than full on green jungles - I figured lizards should be equally at home in deserts as they are in jungles :-D

I'm sort of going for "reasonable looking table top quality" that I can paint reasonably fast...

More to come later - C&C welcome!

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Excellent shading of the flesh tones and very nice basing.

I find it a little odd that you seemingly using steel spear/javelin heads, but the metal is well applied and highlighted so it works.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looking good man :D

4. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Thank-you! Yeh, I did consider doing their weapons 'properly' - I know in the fluff they have obsidian weapons, but in the end I decided to mix it up a little bit - obsidian shafts on the spears/javelins and metal speartips. I'm never one to follow the GW paint schemes 100% ;-)

And thanks for the bases - I'm of the opinion that a good looking base makes or breaks the model - yeh it might add 30 minutes to the build time per model, but I think its definitely worth the extra effort :)

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Nice version of an otherwise traditional color theme for lizzies (blue). I'm quite fond of the green color on the head fin. Keep up the good work :)

6. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Thank-you! I did consider doing them green, but I was worried they'd look a bit more like orcs & goblins ;-) I enjoyed painting the head fin - skinks are really fun. What do you think about painting the patrol leader fins a different color - maybe red/orange - just to denote leadership over the other skinks?

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Maybe a white fin with a red top (the upper line above the fine) could look great.

8. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

Nice looking start to your army. Keep up the good work!

9. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Some updates from the last few days. A skink priest and 6 skink skirmishers - lots more skirmisher skinks to come in the following weeks!

10648256_981791905169577_3135425205290760119_o.jpg

10551426_981791985169569_8627871154372075754_o.jpg

As always C&C welcome :)

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nice looking priest bunker. :smug:
    I think your basing realy pulls the unit together.
    oh and extra points for the classy movement tray.

11. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Thanks! I haven't painted enough skinks for it to be a bunker yet ;-) But I plan on painting up at least 30 with javellin and shields, that way I can either run them as 3 skirmisher units, or a big bunker unit as I see fit...

12. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Finished 12 strong Skink Skirmisher unit;

10704366_983839038298197_2603102637392778676_o.jpg

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Looks great. I have to be honest though. I would've loved it if you worked a bit more with complimentary colors. As of right now this is basically what you have done with your skink leader (blue - orange) , but this would've looked GREAT on all of them because of it makes their fin pop. The other 11, while looking great, are also kinda plain to look at and I fear that once they're on the board they'll just be a blue blob.

Again, it's not the actual paint job I'm criticizing here, it's more the lack of "pop". :smug:

I realize you might've tried to do something along the lines with the brown shields, but similar to the blue color it looks kinda plain (not sure if that's the proper word).

If you decided to do what I wrote you could always distinguish the leader by given him a different coloured shield or something a long those lines. Or maybe give him a bit war paint. Something sublet is always nice.

14. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I am also a big fan of those tufts :)

15. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

You are right, they are pretty 'plain' - but they do contrast quite nicely with the Saurus's I've painted - as they are much darker. I'm going to make the chameleon skinks more varied - in a way I wanted the skink core to be quite simple and plain - mostly because I plan on painting another 4-5 units of them and needed something reasonably quick and effective as a paint scheme. I actually do wish I'd painted them all with orange fins though - but I'd already committed to the green... Its all good - I think they look good enough to game with - and I can't really revisit units I've already done as I'm on a bit of a timetable (part of the escalation league, I need to paint new units rather than redoing old ones or I'll fall right behind...)

16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

well obviously if you don't have the time for it it really isn't THAT necessary, but when that it said it shouldn't take much time. It's only the fins. :)

17. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

400 points of lizards painted, based and varnished. Next up - temple guards and another saurus unit...

10630642_989016374447130_7714621146580116031_o.jpg

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looking good, quite fast too. ;)

19. Pepticsalve
    Saurus

Pepticsalve Member

Ha! Yeh - lots of very late nights spent watching films and getting stuff painted. Somehow I manage to hold down a full time job AND study for a degree in my spare time! It helps only needing 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night though :-D

Also, I have to say it feels a bit like cheating painting the lizards. A skink when being batch painted only takes me about 45 minutes per model. And a saurus not much more than an hour... Just kind of get into that zone where you bash out the painting...

I suspect the temple guards are going to take longer - lots of detail on those models - plus I'll probably give them a bit more care and attention!