1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Poll: THE AGE OF SIGMAR IS HERE... WHAT WILL YOU DO?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jul 4, 2015.

?

Will you be playing Age of Sigmar?

1. YES! - It will replace 8th edition for me

2. Yes - I will play it alongside of 8th edition

3. Maybe - I might play a game here and there, but not very often

4. I'm unsure - I need to play more games before I can decide

5. No - I'm sticking with 8th edition

6. No - I won't play AoS or 8th, I'm switching to a different game entirely

7. No - I'm going to help create Lizardhammer (living rulebook maintained by the players)

8. NO! - I'm quitting wargaming!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Well the Age of Sigmar is upon us... for better or for worse. Now that it is here, how will your wargaming change (if at all)?

Vote and discuss!

@pendrake : Lizardhammer poll choice just for you!

pendrake likes this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Might try it once...?
    (If I can figure out how you are supposed to balance armies against each other.)*
    *seriously it just says pick some models. :meh:

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's still more optimistic than me!! hahaha :)

Unless I am missing something major, I can't even fathom how armies will ever be balanced (unless both players play the exact same army list).

I am very curious as to which way these poll results will swing.

4. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

I'm still unsure but it certainly doesn't look good.
    I think I'll test out the game but propably won't enjoy it nowhere near as much as 8th ed.

The obvious balancing issues is one of the biggest things that keeps me currently on my toes. Both the internal and external balance now went out of the window. Why on earth would you play the weaker options when you can only bring all the good stuff?

I did read the rules and skimmed through the warscrolls and I must say that I don't like that the game has been made so simple compared to what it is in 8th. I don't see that many tactical choices to be made along the game and it only comes down who will roll more 4+s.

BR
    Agrem

5. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

It sounds like the group I play with is going to play it this week (because it's free and we have the models) but then we're all switching to Kings of War ... apparently that's the word in the tournament scene, too

Qupakoco likes this.
  6. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

This does sound of a lot of work and it probably will not happen, but we could (the community) make our own 9th edition (make tweaks to 8th) and go from there. It probably would not be too unbalenced, as everyone on the forum could give their input.

Just an unliekly idea, but an idea nonetheless

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree, tactically it is massively inferior to 8th edition.

But Kings of War haven't released their Lizardmen rules yet have they?

@pendrake has been promoting/suggesting this option for quite some time.

8. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

They haven't *but*

1) They are going to make a Lizard army, and
    2) They have an auxilary army called The Herd which is in beta and is obvisouly supposed to be Beastmen, but I was able to map almost all of the units to Lizardmen units, so that is the army I will be playing for now (There is a unit called Stampede which is 6 50x100 bases of Elephants/Buffalo/etc but for me will be a massive base with 5 stegadon trampling over a mass of fleeing Empire state troops!)

9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

The more I think of Age of Sigmar, the more I dislike it.

So if no real 9th is on the way, I am all in for Lizardhammer

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The more I learn about AoS, the more I wonder why Games Workshop didn't release the rules on April 1st. There are a lot of rules that require the player to interact with the other players in specific silly ways. Figure out who has the biggest mustaches. Pretend to ride a horse, shout praises to the Lady.

I know GW doesn't do formal market research, but they seem to have a really low opinion of their fanbase if that's what they think we will like.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Qupakoco and Gogery like this.
  11. Scalenex
    Slann

My answer doesn't really fit. I plan to try 9th edition, but I expect to find it a pale imitation of 8th edition.

Yes, but in order for it to be even semi-viable, it needs to be accepted by a large portion of the non-Lizardmen community. I can't imagine coordinating that endeavor and I can't imagine that many people agreeing on it. Everyone's ideal 9th edition would look different.

My ideal 9th edition would look like this

-Basically 8th edition with a splash of End Times
    -Trim the rules a tiny bit. Any special rule that hardly ever shows up (like Sea Creature) can be an army book rule.
    -Ridden monsters, and chariots and monsters and handlers have one wound profile.
    -Publicly available army codexes (that's the one thing I like about AoS)
    -Revisions every year. Units that are deemed overpowered or under-powered will have small points increases or decreases. A cap at 10% or 20% change. That will fight the internet tendency towards hyperbole. "It should three times the price!" First on the list. Non-skirmishing BS using missile troops in every army go down in price by 10% rounded up.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So does Kings of War employ the same base sizes?

Sadly this is absolutely true for me as well.

That's what I had thought as well, but the poll results are highly mixed. I thought AoS would have been ripped apart in the polls. If GW can maintain a good portion of the current fan-base then it might actually turn out to be a good gamble on their part. These rules are admittedly more friendly for a first time player, so perhaps they can rope in more new players.

I would have expected greater outrage for a game that doesn't even have a points system :confused:. Maybe GW is significantly smarter than we give them credit for.

That's pretty much my ideal 9th edition as well with the exception of a "splash of End Times" and combined profile for monster and rider. I'd also throw in some sort of countermeasure against laser guided cannon balls.

13. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Yes, pretty much.

Infantry goes on 20's, Large Infantry goes on 40's, Cav on 25x50, monsters on 50s ro 50x100, and War Machines go on 50's.

So there isn't anything on a 25x25, BUT in KoW you don't remove models from the unit when you take damage, instead you add damage tokens which are basically permanent penalties to your leadership rolls at the end of combat. So your units can be 100% unit filler/diorama (sorry @Sleboda)

If you have a 10x3 unit of "Temple Guard" then you just need a 200x60 base and fill it with a cool looking scene of Temple Guard marching to war. This makes for super fast setup and cleanup, and no messy rearranging of models during combat. It's a very streamlined system.

These are the (beta) rules: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...file,pdf&app=WordPdf&authkey=!AA65yYAaNDyt4KE

I'm using The Herd from this file as my Lizardmen: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...srpk59SIF9hi6_KDBqkmyitRro/edit#gid=644257362

The rules will be officially released (as a free PDF) on the 11th.

Qupakoco and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That system would definitely work for our models.

Although I'll probably stick with 8th edition, you have intrigued me enough that I'll check it out and see for myself.

15. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

I'm largely going to stick with 8th. I only really play with my brother and a few friends, so it's not much of an issue for me, save lack of variety.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Excellent... more allies to our cause!!!

17. Scalenex
    Slann

Disagree. Statistics was not my favorite subject but this is a self reporting poll. Self reporting polls are never representative of a group at large.

Members of specific army forums are generally more committed to sticking with their game than WHF players who do not join such forums. Active posters are more loyal to the game than lurkers. A large portion of our forum traffic is lurkers who don't vote. Chances are if someone is leaving the hobby they are not going to give a goodbye letter on Lustria-Online.

People who leave the hobby disappear quietly most of the time. We had scores of people say some variation of "I like the new Lustria-Online forum, it has reinvigorated my interest in the hobby and the LM community." That worked like an adrenaline shot for the L-O community to counterbalance the sickness. Our forum traffic didn't really grow (as far as I can tell). It just didn't shrink. Most of the other WHF army forums I visit (as a lurker mostly) have had declining membership.

"I'm never playing a GW game again, but I absolutely must make my voice heard in Nightbringer's poll before I quit!"

The fact that the bottom half of the poll outweighs the top in absolute terms is very telling giving that the sample of poll respondents is positively biased (I'm guessing it's positively biased).

Niarg and Mr Phat like this.
  18. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

A significant influence on poll statistics is that demographics who are ideologically opposed or emotionally repulsed by the issue are the most likely to speak out. It's a weighting issue common in investigations that sample population data.

19. Scalenex
    Slann

@Slanputin, Valid point but since we do not know which force is stronger we cannot draw any meaningful conclusion from the poll. Everything is speculation.

It reveals about as much as the hobby as whether people would rather hang out with Jar-Jar or Justin Bieber. I picked Bieber. While he was the only non-fictional character in the lineup the four poll options would have killed me without a thought (literally without a thought in the case of Jar-Jar accidentally paving the way for the galaxy's worst dictator).

Umbridge backed a system that oppressed ordinary humans, the Game of Throne guy was a brutal tyrant and Jar-Jar doomed his galaxy. Justin Bieber just makes crappy music.

20. mazz0
    Jungle Swarm

mazz0 New Member

That may be, but I think Scalenex is right in that the self selecting nature of polls like this will be the greater factor.