1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Gor-Rok

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by asrodrig, May 25, 2009.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Hey all! If any of you visit The Pyramid Vault, you'll know that part three of the Golden Old One contest is up and running. For the contest, I'm painting up a Gor-Rok model. Here are some early snapshots:
    First of all, a headless, armless Gor-Rok:
    DSCN1689.jpg
    Also, an early (and terrible) shot of the base he'll be on:
    DSCN1690.jpg
    And another early shot of an unpainted Mace of Ulamak:
    DSCN1691.jpg
    Anyways, hope you like! Any and all feedback is appreciated, as always.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looks pretty cool! I would almost say you have gone a touch too far with the albino work though.. He looks more ghostly than albino. Maybe that will change as more of the detail gets done though. I will be keen to see it finished.

3. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Thanks, strewart! With the white, I was really going for the look of the white Oldblood that's in the army book. This guy:

Except with green instead of blue to match the rest of my army.
    In case you're wondering, it actually used to be this model:
    DSCN1615.jpg
    Ever since I called that one done, I knew that I could do better, so this weekend, I stripped him and started to repaint him. If you pay attention, you can see where some of my conversions are taking place.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

Hmm yes I see what you are trying to do, and maybe the problem is that your green is too subtle. The blue guy is indeed very pale, but if you look closely at the blue areas they are actually mid-dark blue, the white is probably mixed with a tiny bit of blue to make it less obvious. Maybe you should try adding more green to your model, bring the green out to richness but make sure it is only in the deepest areas and that model of the model is white. I'm thinking green between the scales and more on the lower legs and tail as an example. That might give it a bit more of a look of 'weathered' green so it has paled over time rather than ghostly green.

Hope that helped, and good luck with it.

5. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

the mace doesn't look very mace-like... it looks more like one of the new halberds than a mace... otherwise its looking really good although I can see where strewart gets the idea of it being "ghostly" from.

6. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Thanks for your comments, guys.
    The mace I thought was less like a halberd, seeing as how it has a short handle and no stabby bits on the end. I had a couple different prototypes for it, but in the end I thought that one was the strongest. You'll probably see the others in my future conversions, since they're still not too shabby.
    Anyways, here's an update: the body is pretty much done, so I glued it onto the base:
    DSCN1693.jpg
    And here's his ugly mug:
    DSCN1694.jpg

UPDATE: Here's the finished product!

Tell me which pictures you like the best:
    DSCN1700-1.jpg

DSCN1701-1.jpg

DSCN1702-1.jpg

DSCN1703-1.jpg

DSCN1704-1.jpg

DSCN1705-1.jpg

DSCN1706-1.jpg

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow the shield looks very cool, it turned out well. Good work! I like the 4th pic best, but they all seem to have caught a touch too much light.

8. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

Great Lord Tlanxla New Member

Wow that looks amazing. I wish i could convert something and make it look that good.
    Good job with the green stuff shield it really makes the model and the paint job is awesome!

9. LuckyNumbrXIII
    Saurus

LuckyNumbrXIII New Member

Wow... you do amazing work, man. I mean it. I hope you win.

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Thanks, man. That really made my day. :D