1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros please help!: Base decoration tips

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lucius Cornelius Sulla, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Lucius Cornelius Sulla
    Jungle Swarm

Lucius Cornelius Sulla New Member

So obviously a decent looking base under a model makes it look so much better and wondered if you had any tips? Im looking to create a jungle based environment, some mini furns, moss, long grass etc but dont know where to aquire anything besides the basics! I have some dirt looking stuff and grass looking stuff, any tips and advice would be very appreciated!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

For jungle there are a few different options many people use:
    - aquarium plants. You can get them very cheap online. Don't forget to paint them though, most of them are green but don't look too good.
    - cheap plastic deco plants. Same as above
    - tea leaves. Those make great jungle floors. Also drinking tea is healthy, so the need for basing material helps you drink more. :)
    - then of course the basing materials you can buy. Grass tufts of different lengths, by GW, Warlord, Army Painter etc. Or make them yourself using a flock box.
    - natural materials like seeds or capsules of some plants, that you can dry, spray prime, and paint.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

As said above ;D

I use tufts - you can get 150 bunches of various colours/styles for about £5 on eBay - just bulk buy like £30s worth and they will last ages.

If you want to be a bit more experimental - use good old green stuff, it’s actually very easy to make your own flora (and they will be just how you want them)

What I do is go on google - search for the style of plants you want (in this case ‘jungle’) to see what plans actually exist - find a few you like and replicate.

Leave to dry overnight them cut/trim and add to your bases.

Some examples could be;

Vines - easy as hell to make (roll a thin snake like bit of green stuff and add parallel leaves to it - mark the leaves slightly with a tool and bamn done.

Big leaf grass/banana plant style leaves - take a piece of green stuff to the size you require and squash - aiming to have one end wider then the other (leaf shaped) score the length with a tool and across the width either side of this, make 3/4 leaves of the same type and bunch together at the bases - move leaves to required angles/bends/add damage etc and hey presto a decent sized plant that looks good.

Reeds/hot poker style flowers - create a tall thin stem to required height, add some small upright leaves at the base. At the top add a thicker rolled piece of green stuff - bamn a reed - make a few of these of varying sizes to hang close together - add a small water effect beneath them and you now have a swamp/pool effect with decor.

Water pools - Lizardmen love water - jungles often have water in them - pools are simple to make, leave a patch of your base clear at any shape/depth required (use basing sand/stones etc for the surrounds and to hold the water effect inside,
    Paint colours where the water will lay ontop (murky browns/greens etc - (make sure to use brighter colours) add water effect ontop - let it dry overnight and add some white dry brush to bring out any ripples etc youhave in it.

I could go on and on lol - message me for more if you like

Aginor and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Just to prove how easy it is;

10mins work - rushed because I wanted a bath ;D

When dry they can be bent/cut/trimmed/added etc

Can do a million things with the green stuff - there are no limits ;P

0BBD8F2C-1DCE-450C-BEBC-F702FC2A1581.jpeg

5. Aginor
    Slann