1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Quest For Gold: Civil War

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Bainbow, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

My GW regularly holds month-long campaigns and this month it's the Quest For Gold. 130 Wound limit for non-summoning armies, 100 Wound limit for summoning armies with a summoning allowance of 50. Objectives of the game is to find as much loot as you can. Your units can sacrifice their shooting phase to search one of the major terrain pieces for treasure, finding some on a 3+. Gold can be used between games to purchase upgrades to your army. In addition, there is a single Relic in every game. To find the location of the Relic, you need to find treasure in two of the three central terrain pieces to piece together a map leading to the Relic, which will then appear in a random terrain piece. Each Relic is equippable by your general and grants new extremely powerful abilities, such as the Axe of Beasts which give the hero a new weapon that hits like a truck and if it wounds but doesn't kill then on a 5+ the wounded target gets turned into a Squig which you control. This gives us two objectives, hoard gold and find the Relic.

As we had an odd number of players tonight, I wound up in a three-man battle royale where everybody was playing Seraphon. Thankfully we each had a different colour scheme for our lizards, resulting in Red Seraphon, Blue Seraphon, and my own Black Seraphon. The Red Seraphon were made up entirely of Knights with a lot of Chameleons and three Ripperdactyls as backup, a Slann Starmaster, a Kroak, and three small Skink heroes. My Black Seraphon were made up mainly of Guard to make up the Eternal Starhost with the Thunderbeast Starhost supporting made up of a Stegadon, an Engine, a Bastiladon with a Solar Engine, and three Salamanders. I also had a unit of nine Chameleons, and an Astroloth Bearer, a Starpriest, a Starseer, and my own Kroak for some magic support. I had sacrificed the ability to summon to gain more starting wounds, mainly so I could field the Thunderbeast Starhost. This gave me an early game advantage, but would prevent me from reviving units. Meanwhile the Blue Seraphon took a more balanced build, a large unit of Warriors, a large unit of Guard, a Scar Veteran on a Cold One, and a Slann Starmaster, with a Stegadon and skinks in support. Funnily enough, we all had a Bastiladon with a Solar Engine, and all had an Oldblood on a Carnosaur as our generals because the Relic would go to the general and we didn't want to get some badass melee weapon wasted on a Slann.

The turn starts, with Red Seraphon making the first move. He opens with firing off a Comet's Call at my Carnosaur, my Eternity Warden, and the Blue Bastiladon. The Eternity Warden takes three wounds, while the others take one. This rather annoys me as my Eternity Warden is giving my Guard their massive buffs and I don't want him to die, especially because I can't summon him back if he dies and that would leave my Kroak open. So as soon as he spawns his 20 Chameleons onto the central ruins in the middle of the board to get quick access to all of the Relic spawn points, I turn to the Blue Seraphon and strike a truce. We agree to not attack each other until we kill all of the Chameleons. The Red Seraphon end their turn by searching for gold with a great number of their units, finding one piece of the map to the Relic in the process but failing to find a second.

My move is next as I angrily throw my own Comet's Call right back at the Reds, wounding his Slann and taking out three Chameleons. Then I activate my Engine and roll a triple 6 instantly, stopping time and giving me a free turn. I take the chance to run my Guard formation 10" directly towards the middle of the board, taking care to land on or near terrain with each unit so I can search for that gold, plant my Astriloth, and fire at the Chameleons with ten attacks from my Searing Beam with rerolls To Hit and To Wound thanks to the Astriloth and the Thunderbeast Starhost. Meanwhile my Salamanders and Carnosaur run into the first main ruin and pilfer a bunch of gold, finding the first piece of the map. Then I take my extra turn. My Engine activates its D6 Mortal Wounds ability, but the only enemy within range are the Blue Seraphon and we have our truce, so I let the attack go to waste. Meanwhile the Guard make another run to get into a second main ruin to search for more treasure and the second half of the Relic map. Succeeding, the Relic spawns in the central ruin that's currently filled with Chameleons. It was already a personal vendetta to hit the Reds, but now it's pragmatic. Moving my Carnosaur and Salamanders into range, they fire on the Chameleons but do no damage. The Bastiladon, however, does tonnes of damage and really hurts the Chameleons. If not for their 3+ Save and some lucky rolls, they'd all have died. But as is there are about 12 left, so my Carnosaur charges in and brings this number down to 3.

As the Blue Seraphon take their turn, they mostly just earn a tonne of gold as every one of their units is within range of a good ruin or forest. While the Blue Carnosaur rolls up in front of my Guard, clearly ready to attack as soon as our truce is over, they hold up their end of the bargain and use a Stegadon and Bastiladon to shoot the remaining Chameleons to death. We shake hands, but both know that in the next turn we'll become enemies again.

Next turn begins, the Red Seraphon take the first move again. Though they summon back ten Chameleons, they achieve very little beyond getting their knights to the Central Ruins where the Relic is located and getting their Rippers into combat against the Blue Skinks. This actually plays to our mutual favour, as the Rippers block off the Blue Seraphon from reaching the Central Ruins with all but their Stegadon. As the Reds fail to find the second half to their map which will allow them to start searching the Central Ruins for the Relic, the Red player declares that he won't attack my Carnosaur with his Knights as we'd both take a lot of damage and it would allow the Blue Seraphon to steal control of the ruins. Very quickly this evolves into another truce, with all three players agreeing to make the Central Ruins a ceasefire zone so that we may all search for the relic in peace while the fighting takes place outside the ruins. Besides, being in combat prevent us from even trying to search, so we carve the ruins into three equal slices where we can all stand 3" away from each other while we search.

The Blue Seraphon take the next move and somehow their Skinks survive a second combat round with the Rippers. Meanwhile the Blues find their second map half, allowing them to search for the Relic in future turns.

My move comes next. I have my Chameleons appear in the Central Ruins to help search for the Relic alongside my Carnosaur and the Salamanders and Handlers who move into range. Though the Relic, unlike gold, can only be found on a 5+, I have four units at the Central Ruins with one of them, my Carnosaur, having a Curse of Fates active to get a +1 modifier, and I have one reroll from my Starseer. I feel confident in my ability to find the Relic this turn, so I make my troops' way to the very edge of the ceasefire zone and begin searching. I start with searching using my weakest shooters so I don't sacrifice the shooting of my best ranged units should I find the Relic early. My Handlers prove themselves ever useless by rolling a 1 on the search, but then my Carnosaur finds the Relic. The tension in the room hits a peak. I look at my opponents, they're looking back and forth between me, the other player, and my Carnosaur who now holds the Relic. If the Carnosaur dies, the Relic is dropped where he dies and can be picked up by any unit, so killing him is the only way they can claim the relic. And I'm surrounded. To the Carno's right is an open field where 26" away is my front line, if he can get behind them then he would be safe as nobody has the manpower to break through my line before the shop closes. However straight ahead are the Slann and Stegadon of the Blue Seraphon, the monster armed with a dangerous Skystreak Bow that can really hurt my Carnosaur if not kill it. To the left are Red Seraphon, ten Chameleons who had been summoned, a Starpriest, a Slann, and Red Kroak. Between the two of them, my Carnosaur is doomed. But I really want this Relic, so I attempt to strike a deal with the Red Seraphon, the more dangerous of the pair as they have more units ready to attack and nothing but a wide open field between my Carno and his troops, while the Blue Seraphon have only two models lined up to attack and can only see my Carno through an alleyway which I had conveniently accidentally blocked off with Salamanders, preventing the Stegadon from charging my Carno as that would end badly for me. I offer the Red Seraphon two gold pieces to let my Carno escape, but the Red Seraphon demand more. So we strike a hefty deal of half of my gold for actively helping me to protect my Relic. As soon as the deal is struck, I instantly break the ceasefire agreement of the Central Ruins and open fire on the Blue Stegadon with Salamanders and Chameleons, injuring it.

As the next turn comes around, the Red Seraphon again take the first turn and charge their Carnosaur into the side of the Blue Seraphon, getting into combat with some Blue Guard. The Red Knights also charge and impact the Guard, all to buy me a distraction while I flee. The Guard take very little damage, but also do little damage back. Meanwhile the Red Kroak casts Comet's Call to hit the Blue Slann and Stegadon, further wounding the Stegadon so that I may escape.

My move comes and I keep shooting at the Stegadon, as well as hitting it with a Comet's Call. Successfully killing it, and successfully killing the Blue Carnosaur with Comet's Call, Arcane Bolt, and the Bastiladon's Searing Beam, my Carnosaur bolts from cover as both of the monsters that were threatening it have been taken out and the Reds are fighting off the Blue reinforcements. I roll a 6 to run with the Carno, sprinting behind another ruin to avoid any Blue troops. The rest of my army moves into terrain, even breaking formation, to collect as much gold as they can as my gold reserves are quite lacking and I fear that if I don't get more fast then the Red Seraphon will betray me. Thankfully I earn a lot of gold this turn, making use of my Starseer to get 6 rerolls, all of which I spend on finding more gold.

The Blue Seraphon succeed in fighting off the Red Seraphon and even take a shot at my fleeing Carnosaur with the Slann's Arcane Bolt, but are unable to stop me. At the end of the turn, time runs out.

The Blue Seraphon collected 18 gold, I collected 18 gold, and the Red Seraphon only collected 12 gold. However, I hand over 9 of my gold to the Red Seraphon as agreed, leaving me with only a pitiful 9 and giving them a winning 21 gold. However despite my failure to even get double digits on my gold, I did claim the Relic. The staff member on duty watches as I roll 3D6 to determine what Relic I unlock, and my Oldblood earns the Stone of the Emperor, granting a 4+ Save against Mortal Wounds, and the ability to not only block a hostile spell on a 4+ but to also then fire that spell back at the caster or another enemy unit within range. So should I get hit with an Arcane Bolt, I can eat it Kirby style and then fire it right back at the poor buggers next turn, it's one of the most powerful Relics in the campaign. I think that was more than worth half of my gold.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Wow that just sounds such fun, I really need to play something like that.

Bowser and Bainbow like this.
  3. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Yeah it really was a lot of fun, I don't think any player walked away unsatisfied.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Tlac'Natai the Observer
    Cold One

Tlac'Natai the Observer Active Member

Where can I get my hands on these campaigns? Me and my group of friends would love to do some campaigns; we're all still new and we were trying to think of campaigns for ourselves without knowing these things exist for real.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, I would definitely like some more of these types of campaigns and themes!

6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Here are the rules as they were last written. A bit of testing has had us alter the rules, such as making the amount of treasure jump from 4D6 to infinity and as I mentioned we now give non-summoning armies a bonus 30 Wounds.
    https://www.docdroid.net/9JipsxU/aos-quest-for-gold.pdf.html

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I'm giving you this :spiderman:

Printing and laminating now!

8. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

This really does look fun! My GW were just trying to think of what our next big campaign could be...this looks like it could be a candidate :)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Wow... I need to do more campaigns...

Bainbow likes this.
  10. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

You absolutely should, they're a tonne of fun and mix up gameplay to avoid monotony.

11. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

I was thinking about maybe setting up a tournament/campaign but this rule set is too good to let go to waste so I AM now making a campaign. Can I use it?

*makes cute puppy face*

12. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Of course, it's a public thing. Nobody owns it so use it all you want.

Side note, see that Axe of Beasts relic that's a big Orc axe that turns people into Squigs? There's one guy at my GW who plays a Black Orc army led by Grimgor, and the only non-Black Orcs he had aside from a single shaman are Squigs. He was one off getting the Axe of Beasts. What did he get for Grimgor instead? That very fancy elvish bow.

13. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Ooh, snazzy. I bet he was pleased with it.

14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

He was not, he was mortified. :D

15. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I like the colour coded lizardmen! Nice report. I love seeing people enjoying AoS the way it's meant to be enjoyed - making your own story and having fun in the process!

Bainbow likes this.