1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rank and File Skinks

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Quillum, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

My question for you folks is: What's the best way to put a new box of skinks together so I can make them into a rank and file unit? I only plan to do this to two boxes of mine for a total of 48 models. I have plenty of Jav and Blowpipe skinks from years ago when I put them together.

I ask because I'm looking at the bases they come with, and they are all those angled ones that go from corner to corner of the base, not from front to back. Will I need to purchase the small bases that have the slots going from front to back?

2. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

There's not a whole lot to say, other than dryfit EVERYTHING before you commit to gluing it. The bases should fit together without too much trouble, as long as you keep the shields laying flat against their sides, as opposed to facing forwards like most of mine...

3. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

dry fit eh? Its late for me so I'm a bit tired...but how would I do that with the arms for 12 models?

4. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Toothpicks and pulleys... you should be able to bang together a quick Rube Goldberg machine to get all the arms hanging in their intended position without applying glue.

Personally though, I'd just do them one at a time. ;)

(I really tried not to post something like that, but it really did conjure up that image in my head)

5. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

Its alright, you got me to laugh with that. I guess I'll just take it slow, thanks for the advice.

Now...to find some pulleys...

6. Quillum
    Saurus

Quillum New Member

I've got another question. As far as I can tell, there are no "new" Skink command models for Standard bearer and musician...what are you folks doing to solve this problem? I'm mostly looking at musicians for what I've got in mind.

7. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Paint a blowpipe like a flute/horn of some type?

I hadn't even thought of this potential problem.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

You need to convert the skink command.. There are many ways to do it, you can put some GS on the end of the blowpipe to make it more like a horn, or give a skink some drums there are plenty from other kits. Standards can be a spear with whatever banner head you have spare, or even just get a standard from another model (cut the hand off) and put it in the ground at the skinks feet.

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

actually, I just made these out of the OOP Stegadon Skinks:
    DSCN1746.jpg

10. Mac
    Jungle Swarm

Mac New Member

How did you do the drum?