1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Ranked fighting

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by IggyStarhost, Apr 11, 2018.

1. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Hi,

Quick question about the 1 inch range in weapons. At the last tournament I was very sure that models with 1 inch range on the weapons couldnt fight in 2 ranks.
    Although my opponent said that 1 inch is larger than a base of 25mm.

Knowing an inch is 25,4mm might he be right? Or are the 25mm bases exactly 1 inch?

He had round bases and didnt push the second rank in between the first rank or so. I personally thought that thats how you could get like 80-90% in range. But when dead straight behind eachother, I though you would be out of range

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Those bases are specified being 25mm and I measured some of them on the market, including GW ones, they are shorter than an inch. I am sure that's intentional.

On the lowest base size (25mm) the second rank can fight IF the first rank is in base contact with the enemy AND the second rank is in base contact with the first one.
    I love that because you can easily tell without using the measuring tape. You just check base contact yes or no. Even the angle doesn't matter since the straight line is the longest and it works.

Same works with 2" range melee weapons.

25mm: Third rank can _just_ hit if base contact
    32mm: Second rank can easily hit, third rank can never hit. (could hit with 3" range though, but there are almost no weapons with 3" range)

So if models are in base contact you don't have to measure. And if there's a mm or two in between after charging or piling in I just ask (or tell, if it is my turn) about whether that is supposed to be base contact or not. Sometimes the surface of the table doesn't allow doing it in a well measurable way so if a distance is just a few millimeters it is usually about intentions. You rarely get situations in which the 3" pile-in or something fails by a mm.

Example for not wanting to be in base contact just for illustration: Since piling in doesn't have to be a straight line I sometimes choose for my Skeletons to not be in base contact, because that allows "circle-piling". Sure I miss out on a few attacks then (second rank can still hit because I use spears, but third rank cannot), but I might retain mobility with the blob if the enemy doesn't pile into base contact either.

Canas and Seraphage like this.
  3. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Thanks alot! I do have some saurus (temple) guard on their old 25mm base 0:) muhaha

Aginor likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

HARHARHAR! :D
    Ok, seriously though... that will make you "that guy". (that's why tournaments usually insist that current GW base sizes are used, obviously it can skew balance quite a bit).

5. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Haha I know, we have discussed this earlier. Too bad they are on 32mm, but better. Atleast round looks way nicer. Just a waste GW bases are so expensive

6. Aginor
    Slann

When I need bases I get them from a 3rd party, because GW base prices are criminal.

7. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Any tips?

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Ebay for bases

9. Aginor
    Slann

I get mine from Fantasywelt.de, they are not even half GW's price and look VERY similar.
    If you have them in your hand and look precisely you can tell that the angle of the rim is a tiny bit steeper.
    They come with thin material in the middle so you can easily make a slit if you need one.

3€ for 20 bases is nice, I based a lot of Skeletons using those.
    For comparison: 10 GW bases 25mm are 4€ I think

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Infinity-Bases-Round-25mm-20

IggyStarhost likes this.
  10. Ecozh
    Cold One

Ecozh Active Member

From the Warhammer 40k Ork group. 25cm is below 1 inch yes :)

(which means that if you want to be 'that guy' in 40 you can fight 4 ranks deep)
    (as within 1" you are in combat (base 1 and 2) and all fighters within 1" of a model in combat can also fight)

Luckily AoS is a little less free with this ;)

Attached Files:

ILKAIN and IggyStarhost like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, that's one of the few things that GW did really well. ;)

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

For anyone in the US:
    Reaper Minis has all the sizes/shapes of bases in black plastic.

13. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Midgarth games sells MDF bases of all the correct sizes in bulk for cheap on ebay (50 32mm bases for $7 USD for example). Plastic bases tend to be way more expensive.

14. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

I orderd on aliexpress $2 for 40 bases

15. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

you don't happen to have one of those charts for the other base sizes do you? that was incredibly helpful and id like to put it up at my LGS for the other newer players like myself.

Ecozh likes this.
  16. Ecozh
    Cold One

Ecozh Active Member

I go this from a Ork 40k group. No other diagrams present.

But at large sizes the "within 1 inch" isn't a thing because base sizes are larger than 1 inch.

ILKAIN likes this.