1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Realmshaper Engine good ro useless?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Ustyk, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Ustyk
    Cold One

Ustyk Active Member

So what do you guys think about this terrain piece?

im Thinking about how to use efective this terrain... but rule placing it before picking a side is just K.O.

Or maybe this should be Bait for enemy to take it? I just cant thiink about efective using it . All fun ends at roll about taking site. If you place it in the middle you can always get there faster if your enemy is nurgle etc. in other case you just need to conquer it. if you lord space and time in first turn you can set garnisson turn 2.... so its like meh....

What are your opinions? What strategy for this terrain is good?

Share your point of view

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

There are some match ups where I will elect to not put it on the table. There are some where there is low risk if you fail to win the roll. Some games it is good bait.

Times to Place It:
    • Your opponent doesn't have a good reason to garrison.
    • You stand to gain a great advantage if you decided territories. (Exp: Heavy shooting list who are mobile such as CoS and DoT)
    • There is no substantial risk if you fail to win the territory roll off.
    • You need every advantage, luck included, to beat your opponent.
    Times to Elect Against Placing:
    • The opponent has units that greatly benefit from Garrisoning and don't require being mobile. (Exp: Nagash).
    • The opponent will greatly benefit from line of sight blocking.
    • Your opponent having the terrain is greater than any benefit you would receive from having it.
    • There is substantial risk if you fail to win the territory roll off.
    Great Uses:
    • Blocking movement.
    • Constricting a deployment zone.
    • Blocking line of sight.
    • Baiting a misdeploy (Exp: you can draw support units out of effective range).
    • Causing additional decision making for an opponent.
    • Creating an additional focal point to battle over. (Exp: Placing the RSE in neutral territory vs an elite army might leave your opponent with having to surrender the RSE or an objective)

3. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Why not just bring 2? Other then having to purchase 2 and all..... wait are we allowed 2?

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Sadly we only get the one.

Dr.Doom, Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  5. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

So, looks like taking RSE in tournament is, in general, a bad idea, since you are forced to place it? Or you just place it in some neutral territory then, so no one can claim it?

Lizerd, Ecozh and LizardWizard like this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

It is still quite useful. Against most CoS you will want to gamble on getting the RSE. Being able to block their line of sight is too good a payout and has a pretty low risk.

Fyreslayers is also worth the risk. They are slow moving and generally have to keep walking up table from turns 1-3 on most battle plans. So putting it near a back edge is very viable.

It is also very low risk vs most horde armies if the majority of their units are over 20 wounds and the ranges on their support heroes are short.

It is truly match up dependent in my opinion.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's fine against specific armies I guess, especially when you already know your opponents list (or prefered units & playstyle)

But in a tournament enviroment you're going to be seeing a healthy mix of armies, I wouldn't be surprised if that alone makes people elect to leave the RSE at home. No fun to guarantee you're never going to do better than 4 winds since there's always going to be that 1 opponent that can abuse the RSE and kick your ass. Would be interesting to see if we end up seeing a large difference in how it's used between tournament and "regular" play.

Lizerd, Nart and LizardWizard like this.
  8. Ustyk
    Cold One

Ustyk Active Member

I personaly will play realmshape engine as bait for enemies. Bonus it gives is to strong for seraphons to leave it for enemy. Especialy if you are going to play starborne and you got that teleport. Enemy will be forced to move there some army or he will face tons of mortal wounds.

9. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

While still very much disappointed in the card that we’ve been dealt, I will definitely use it as a bluff from time to time, especially when playing starborne and if my opponent is not very mobile. Keep a priest and some scary units in the sky, forcing him to bolster around the RSE if he rolls for that side. Then just drop them somewhere else, and a bunch of his units are hopefully 2+ turns away from being useful.

Dr.Doom and Lizerd like this.
  10. Ustyk
    Cold One

Ustyk Active Member

question : Can i garnison and get out of piramid one turn ?

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

no you give up your movement to do ether and you can only do that once.

Lizerd and Ustyk like this.
  12. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

key note that's important, you do not need to be able to move to give up your move, but you can only forfeit it once whether or not you can use it.

Lizerd, Erta Wanderer and Canas like this.
  13. Ustyk
    Cold One

Ustyk Active Member

Okay, but is there written that i Cant leave terrain in same turn i got into It?

Lizerd likes this.
  14. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

is it written out plainly? no. however it does state that to enter or exit you have to do that instead of your move.... and as i said you cannot give it up twice.

Lizerd, Cuetzpal Pilli, Ustyk and 2 others like this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In a tournament they have the terrain prearranged, so by RAW you couldn't even place it...

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

in fairness, that's not GW's fault... Obviously it's weird that they're not taking into consideration a practical thing like this that shey should be aware of, but ultimatly that's essentially just a homerule tournaments tend to follow to speed things up and not their responsibility.

Plenty wrong with the realmshaper engine, but this one at least isn't entirely on GW :p

17. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I participated in a tournament, where you could place terrain yourself - just 10 pieces of terrain were attached to every table and we were free to rearrange them before every game.

LizardWizard, Lizerd and Canas like this.
  18. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Realmshaper engine has its uses, I had fun blocking off an objective in a game with Legions of Nagash, even though I did not get to personally garrison it it still had its uses.

Cuetzpal Pilli and LizardWizard like this.
  19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

To a certain point, yes. Their fault is that they know of this (since it's a frequent behavior in official GW tournament), so they wrote a rule that it was going to collide with it.

20. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

They will probably treat it like the do the bone tithe nexus. Where if a TO is needed they will help rebuild the table. Otherwise they will let the player pairs who are mature enough to figure it out on their own rebuild the table.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Canas like this.