1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Ripperdactyl vs Terradon riders

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

First of all, happy holidays everyone! Hope everyone's having a good time.

So I had been a huge fan of Ripperdactyl, up until they nerfed them for tournaments (where you can only roll a dice once). Ever since Terradon seemed more flexible to me, with having around equal damage.

However, I recently found out that you can now use guards and knights as battleline units, even while fielding an army with other order units. So I thought that maybe they had changed the rule of 1 with the Ripperdactyl as well?

Is the rule for the Ripperdactyl still in effect? And if so, which of the two types do you prefer to use most of the time?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The rule of 1 is still in effect.
    I still prefer the rippers over the terradons. I know that the terradons are a steadier and more consistent unit, and that some bad rolling could render my rippers worthless. And I have had those games where my rippers managed to not make any difference other than to distract a leader for a turn while he killed them. But the toad offers some board control, where you place it can determine how your opponent moves certain units. And when they work, they really work, even with the rule of 1.
    That being said, I rarely use either outside of a shadowstrike starhost, because strike from the skies makes both units so much better. The terradons I tend to use against armies like Fyre slayers, beastmen or Ogres. Armies that usually don't rely on a lot of long ranged shooting. Though in shadowstrike you can get either of them behind the artillery and go for crew.

Seraphage and m0gstar like this.
  3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Alright, I will definately keep that in mind. Thanks for the detailed description!

Also, one more thing, what would you field against say a Hellcanon? I was thinking about Terradon who could fly and bomb over them, shoot them, and if they had taken them down then charge at the nearest enemy to deal as much damage as possible.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Terradons would work well, use them in the shadowstrike to start behind them, fly over them, drop the rocks, and then if that doesn't do it, charge them, or someone else. The +1 to wound roll in the combat phase will really help out there.

5. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Alright, thanks!

Also happy new year :)

Bowser likes this.
  6. Naeven
    Skink

Naeven New Member

Sorry to kinda highjack your thread but I would like to build on this question a bit!

I have 3 rippers built right now and another 3 still on sprues that can be either terras or rippers, what would be the best choice do you guys think?

Bowser likes this.
  7. ChubbSkink
    Saurus

ChubbSkink Member

I'd say Terradons. One of each would be nice to have. But then again I've got two units of both so it's really up to you and your playstyle.

Naeven and Bowser like this.
  8. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Do you use them in the Shadowstrike Starhost?

9. ChubbSkink
    Saurus

ChubbSkink Member

Yes I do! I really like them both. Rippers would have been my default choice before the Rule of 1 but now they also do a lot of damage even with the rule in effect. Terradons are also quite useful and can create havon with their "bomb run". I think it only goes down to your preference since my personal experience tell me both are good units.

10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would go with 1 of each, they fill different roles, so this gives you new options and opens up new ways of thinking your build out.

Naeven likes this.
  11. Naeven
    Skink

Naeven New Member

Then one of both it is! Thanks for the answers!

Bowser likes this.
  12. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Spend 260 points and then you can have whichever one you need whenever and where ever you want.

Naeven likes this.
  13. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

260? Don't you mean 280?

Also I love your avatar! :D

14. Naeven
    Skink

Naeven New Member

Please elaborate? ;)

15. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Summoning I guess?

Personally I like the rippers. As was mentioned previously, I think that the blot toad gives you a lot of board control. If i had to fight with terradons or rippers outside of a blot toad range, I would probably elect to use terradons.

Personally I think that people feel rippers are much more of a threat and will dedicate a lot more resources to protect things and/or kill them than they would with terradons.

Naeven likes this.
  16. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

I'm trying to think of a good competetive build where I use the rippers as well as the Shadowstrike starhost. What kind of build do you usually like to build for that?

17. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

I think that the shadowstrike starhost is very powerful - the ability to not set up your unit of rippers gives you an immense amount of board control, along with not allowing them to be gunned down. When you place your blot toad, you effectively create this bubble where anything within it can just flat out die, so your opponent has to react (often times dramatically) to protect whatever is in the threat range. I'm sure that there are a lot of great lists in the army list section of the forums that focus around the Shadowstrike Starhost.

18. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Others were bang on. 260 for a slann let's you just assign points to a summoning pool and then you can pick what suits the situation. Both units are really good but suit different needs. So unless you have a sideboard summoning lets you leverage our flexibility.

19. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

But after summoning, won't the unit be unable to move in the following movement phase?

Bowser likes this.
  20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Can't move, but can still charge.