1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS rippers and chams. game balance.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Bullrocker, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Bullrocker
    Skink

Bullrocker New Member

hello there friends! just had a game of AoS with my good friend Marc who plays warriors of chaos.
    we agreed to follow the rules at http://gmigames.com/age-of-sigmar-tournament/ for some pseudo game balance. well..

it turns out that. if you play with 12 rippers. in the skink patrol formation. they can wipe out 1 galrauch ( big dragon ) 1 lord and 1 warshrine. if you guys dont know these units it doesnt matter. what matters is that 5 ripperdactyls generated 45 hits and 43 wounds on 1 turn. have you guys tested the rippers? unless ive read the rules wrong they are by far the most overpowered unit in the game.
    what do you guys use as point balance ? we used 70 wounds total and the rules in the link above.
    discuss away.

2. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

They are not scary without swooping dive and blot toad.

They are glass cannon and one trick poney.

Its the skink patrol formation the one that makes them so good. With no special deployment they can be shoot out.

But yeah, I tested them in both situations with blot toad + swooping dive, and vanilla. Overpowered with the boost.

3. lividcoffe
    Jungle Swarm

lividcoffe New Member

Ripperdactyls are way too overpowered if they have the toad and swooping dive they can kill basically anything, I used a unit of 6, and with their beaks from 9 (only 3 in range) caused 64 hits as they just continue until they miss and yo get rerolls on the ones that have already hit they are way too good

4. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

this is improved (more overpowered) if you have a slann on the table and use the constellation that allows you to re-roll misses :p

just watch your opponent cry :p

5. Raptor_00
    Skink

Raptor_00 Member

They are massively powerful and can usually kill big things in one turn. But, without skink patrol they can get shot down before they get to strike. If your opponent moves away from the blot toad it reduces their combat effectiveness a lot. And if you roll badly, whatever you didn't kill is probably gonna kill you.

As Man0waR said, they are a one trick pony. After that initial massively devastating attack you're probably gonna lose them. If you don't, then your opponent probably made a mistake to not be able to deal with this threat.

Now I love them and plan to keep playing them because they are devastating and I can corral an opponent into other death traps with my toad if they don't wanna get Rippered to death.
    They are very feared in my area, but I don't think they're overpowered for AoS. Lots of things are powerful like that (Vermin Lord turning me into rats I'm looking at you, you too Celestant Prime with -3 rend). Rippers can just get great synergy from the rest of the army and skink patrol.

6. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I need to test out a skink patrol list just a question of what else to take... krox maybe and salamanders with skink priest, Oxyotl and bastiladon.

7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The rippers are good in the skink patrol but, you will likely only get them to kill one unit before they get obliterated! @Raptor_00 said ... can corral an opponent into other death traps... that's a great strategy. If your opponent has lost a big unit or two to rippers in the past, They are going to run from that blot toad, so a decent terrain set up and a much feared blot toad is going to give you control of how the opponent moves certain units. So either devastating for one combat round, or board control, not overpowered but definitely a very strong unit.

8. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

after that first turn, they will probably die if they get attacked by a couple of units. they are like kamikaze units haha

Bowser likes this.
  9. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

Question on rippers guys - If I summon in a unit of rippers (either from slann or through EOTG) do you get to deploy a blot toad for the new unit?

10. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

I'd place the toad regardless ;)

11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Only if you summon them in your first hero phase. It states you can set up a blot toad "in your first hero phase". So any set up after the first turn would go without blot toad.

Freddy25 likes this.
  12. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Exactly so just place em on the table right at the beginning and keep moving it near the unit you will eventually attack